Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• One Little Spark...

Post Why Small World Is No Small Problem

DISCLAIMER:
    This post is in no way meant to bash, badger or spoil any magic of the Walt Disney World Resort. It is, however, intended to display some big issues with It's A Small World. I have taken these photos many times but always hesitate to publically show them so as not to ruin anyone's fond memories of the attraction. However, as the attraction is now closed for refurb, I feel now is the only appropriate
    time to display them.

It's long been said that WDW's version of IASW is far sub-standard to those of other Disney Parks around the globe. For those of us that visit WDW (particularly those who visit often) we see the very slow decay of what is supposed to be an E-ticket attraction. However, for those of you who live elsewhere, I feel you are missing out on just what all the complaining is about. So for your viewing enjoyment...

First, let's start in the queue. Can't be too bad, right?

Someone name the last time these lights were on and functioning...

"Okay, no big deal, it's a couple of lights."

This lovely piece (or lack thereof) is located just below the exit/handicap entrance.

Now on-board, we enter under the "happiest cruise that ever sailed" sign
    and the first thing we see is this BEAUTIFUL wire!

I can't remember a time when this was ever actually used for something... can you?

Entering into the rainforest we see the silly monkeys hangin' around...
    Unfortunately, they hang one tail length too low- thus resulting in
    a rotting tail:

Hey a gang of hula dancers just up ahead!

Wait, aren't they missing a friend in that cauldron of fire? (YUP!)

And now for probably the most absurd effect... ever. Rain!

I'm not saying we need some million dollar effect here, but could we at least
    straighten and tidy up what's there?

Now for the grand finale!
    Are we missing another hula dancer?

Take a look to the right of the hula dancer... there's another pad there for
    another friend!

I guess it's possible these guys were just turned off...
    however that doesn't mean that the lower one should be missing an eye.

Popeye the acrobat!

Finally back to where we loaded... almost. Gotta go under that
    exit ramp first!

Apparently the Maid Brigade didn't quite make it here...

Please note: these photos do not take into account the amount of lights that are out on the ride- I'm not talking like little bulbs in the finale, I'm talking about main lights pointed on the characters. Many areas of the ride are nearly dark due to this.

These photos were taken on Saturday. Florida's It's A Small World closed on Sunday for rehab. I'm not saying I expect Disney to bring it up to par with the other parks, however, I will say this: Disney, do it right. If something is broken, don't just remove it. This is a beautiful attraction that could be so much better if it were treated like the E-ticket it is. Tender loving care... the hardest thing for me to see out of all these pictures is the last one. That is literally just dust and grime that could be removed with a simple cloth.
    Please don't let our FL version remain the laughing-stock of IASWs around the globe.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Why Small World Is No Small Problem

Weird, I thought your version of Small World was far more beautiful than Anaheims.....but then again, my last visit there was in 2007, right after a major refurb....so ymmv
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• WDW will always be home.

Ugh... Stuff like this is why the TDO executive management team needs to be replaced. For real. Maybe they can get jobs at Universal - I'm not sure that TDO management realizes that they work for Disney anyway.

I'm aware that there are a host of organizations and individuals whose collective failures contribute to something like this, but it all comes back to the standards that are set by the people at the top. If management doesn't come down hard on those responsible for allowing stuff like this to happen, it will continue to happen.
    Last edited by PSUMark; 08-02-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Thank you for your report FreakOuter! Sometimes the only way to get Disney to fix something is to show photos of how bad things have gotten. Most of the Disney management in Burbank rarely visit Florida and just assume that it couldn't look much different than Disneyland (boy are they wrong). And the Florida executives don't seem to care about upkeep or how stale the parks are becoming, they just want to save as much money as possible so they don't lose their jobs.

So don't feel bad about showing these photos. All guests take photos, Disney knows that. If they don't mind letting an attraction go to hell, they shouldn't mind the photos being posted online.

Cheers and thank you! Hopefully you'll be able to post photos of how wonderful the ride looks when it comes out of refurbishment.

Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    So don't feel bad about showing these photos. All guests take photos, Disney knows that. If they don't mind letting an attraction go to hell, they shouldn't mind the photos being posted online.
    Dusty
    I heart you so very very very much Dusty!

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Thank you for posting, I think an article on the front page with things like this is needed! And not by Kevin :-X

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Not to mention the ceiling tiles that have been missing since the 2005 refurb.

• Banned User

This is an embarrasment of riches, but then again.. I am bashed for my own views of WDW's lax maintenance pratices. But here is it in full technicolor and in widescreen for Burbank, and WDW fans to see. And best of all.. some of you pay $79 plus tax per day to see it all in person!!!! You remember that!!

• and too all a good fright

When will they learn that minor upkeep makes major refurbs less necessary?
    I remember how beautiful this ride was after the last major refurb.

This post perfectly illustrates the way that WDW is maintained (specifically MK). Sure, they sweep the parks, empty the trash, but overall, both inside attractions and out, there is little dedication to regular deep-cleaning / maintenance. There are just layers of filth / dust / grime on carpets, pavement, in corners here and there. They do just enough so that things look pretty decent on first glance, but when you start to look a bit closer, the lack of maintenance is obvious. Anyone see all the dust covering the set pieces in the pics above?

Just one night every few weeks with a bucket of cleaner and a scrub brush could keep Small World, and many other attractions, looking much better. Not to mention non-attraction areas. But it seems they won't spend the money to keep things in tip-top shape anymore

• Pilot EdForceOne

set pieces get removed all the time for repair/etc. How many PoTC threads do we have with 'xyz is missing!' 'oh he's back!' etc.

I'd rather have the attraction open with one missing hula dancer rather then shut the thing down while its offline.

The picture of the broken in wood - where is that really? It's all painted black which means its not actually in the guest movement area.

And the lights - Do you know what they were used for? Maybe they've been made unnecessary.. or maybe the lighting was determined to be worse, so they turned them off, etc.

I just think snapshots in time don't tell the real story.. so lets not make up our own.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I was on this ride a couple of weeks ago and I did notice the grime you show in the very last picture. It's soooo noticeable, as the boats tend to back up and you sit there for a minute staring at it. It really looks like hell. Worse than you can really capture in the picture. Thanks so much for drawing attention to this travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    Ugh... Stuff like this is why the TDO executive management team needs to be replaced. For real. Maybe they can get jobs at Universal - I'm not sure that TDO management realizes that they work for Disney anyway.

I'm aware that there are a host of organizations and individuals whose collective failures contribute to something like this, but it all comes back to the standards that are set by the people at the top. If management doesn't come down hard on those responsible for allowing stuff like this to happen, it will continue to happen.
    This is so so true. I said on another thread, and I'll say it again here, if Walt were here today, he would not tolerate his parks being so dirty and in such disrepair.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    set pieces get removed all the time for repair/etc. How many PoTC threads do we have with 'xyz is missing!' 'oh he's back!' etc.

I'd rather have the attraction open with one missing hula dancer rather then shut the thing down while its offline.

The picture of the broken in wood - where is that really? It's all painted black which means its not actually in the guest movement area.

And the lights - Do you know what they were used for? Maybe they've been made unnecessary.. or maybe the lighting was determined to be worse, so they turned them off, etc.

I just think snapshots in time don't tell the real story.. so lets not make up our own.
    Perhaps it is time for you to take a trip to WDW to see the obvious decline for yourself. As a Disneyland local, a trip to WDW can be quite shocking. While there is still a lot of wonderful stuff at WDW, there is a whole lot of poor upkeep which just isn't what you expect from Disney.

Let's not blame the OP for noticing what anyone can see with their own eyes. That WDW doesn't really care about show quality as long as people keep buying $80 tickets to the park.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Pilot EdForceOne

Perhaps it is time for you to take a trip to WDW to see the obvious decline for yourself
    I do visit WDW and including getting dragged on to IASW more then I care to.

Let's not blame the OP for noticing what anyone can see with their own eyes. That WDW doesn't really care about show quality as long as people keep buying $80 tickets to the park.
    I'm not blaming them for what they see - I'm saying keep it in context and don't make up your own context. Zoomed in photos aren't always telling the full story.. nor is claiming things as broke/neglected when one doesn't even know why they might be off.

I'm all for 'exposing' things - I mean look at my photos from a TR a ways back

- but sensationalism and blind leaps? Not so much.
    Last edited by flynnibus; 08-03-2010 at 09:51 AM.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Not bashing anyone (or at least not trying to)

These pictures above are the reason rides have seasonal rehab. WDW doesn't have an off season where it can take care of all these little problems. Like stated above I'd much rather have a ride open with these little flaws than have one close every time a ride needs a light bulb replaced etc. Also Small World may have been an "E Ticket" when it first opened back in the day, but I wouldn't say that it is now.

PS

Wheres that MC user with the picture of Walt and it says "NO you don't know what I would've done." I think that fits this quote well.

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    This is so so true. I said on another thread, and I'll say it again here, if Walt were here today, he would not tolerate his parks being so dirty and in such disrepair.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast