Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

For EPCOT's 30th: New Country, Japan Expansion, Universe of Energy Upgrade, and More

EPCOT's 30th Aniversary (October 1st, 2012) is said to be the reason behind a rumored push for a new country at World Showcase. The pavilion is said to be Spain, and would be located between France and Morocco. Tied to this is buzz that there will be an expansion of the Japan pavilion (could this include a ride?), an update/upgrade of Future World's Universe of Energy, and a replacement for the old Wonders of Life.

Sources: Orlando Busines Journal / Screamscape
    Last edited by Dustysage; 12-02-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Not a Crook

Re: For EPCOT's 30th: New Country, Japan Expansion, Universe of Energy Upgrade, and

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post

EPCOT's 30th Aniversary (October 1st, 2012) is said to be the reason behind a rumored push for a new country at World Showcase. The pavilion is said to be Spain, and would be located between France and Morocco. Tied to this is a buzz that there will be an expansion of the Japan pavilion (could this include a ride?), an update/upgrade of Future World's Universe of Energy, and a replacement for the old Wonders of Life.
    It reads like a laundry list of rumored changes for Epcot from the last couple decades. I'd love to see all of it, but without real sources I'm skeptical about any of it. There's also the issue that the Imagination pavilion, which isn't even mentioning in that list, is going to need serious help once Eo's run is over.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Bangarang!

Re: For EPCOT's 30th: New Country, Japan Expansion, Universe of Energy Upgrade, and

^I agree, Imagination needs some serious fixing - however it can stay as it is for the time being while they add these other things.

Spain would be quite a nice addition - perhaps a façade from one of Guadi's buildings or something like the Alhambra?

The notion of a Ginza district would be quite a nice addition too. Lets hope they do it!

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

I hope (but I'm seriously doubting it) that they bring back Body Wars) but if they are going to make something new at the Wonders of Life Pavillion...at least make use of all that space
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

EPCOT's 30th Aniversary (October 1st, 2012) is said to be the reason behind a rumored push for a new country at World Showcase. The pavilion is said to be Spain, and would be located between France and Morocco. Tied to this is a buzz that there will be an expansion of the Japan pavilion (could this include a ride?), an update/upgrade of Future World's Universe of Energy, and a replacement for the old Wonders of Life.
    Like the country does in real life? Interesting transition.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

I'd be shocked if anything like this happens. Disney seems content in leaving World Showcase as it is.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I would be completely floored if this happened. I haven't heard any rumblings of this (which doesn't mean much), but if they are adding a country it means they have found a sponsor with over 100 million dollars burning a hole in their pocket.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Spain is not a good choice for an additional country. There have to be at least a dozen more interesting countries that deserve to be in EPCOT long before Spain. Epcot doesn't need another western European Country, EPCOT needs more diversity. Epcot lready has plenty of Western Europe represented, and countries from other parts of the Globe need to be represented, to justifiy this section of the park to be called the "World Showcase".

India, Russia, and other former USSR block countries, and what about more countries from Eastern Europe (Poland, Czech/Slovakia, Austria, Romania, Bulgaria) about some countries representing South America, (Chile Argentina, Brazil) Australia, New Zealand, Egypt, Israel, certainly more countrie in the Mid East need representation (Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia) Greece, a combination of countries from SE Asia, Indonesia. And much of Africa is not represeted either, how about Madagascar, too.

• Banned User

Al, personally, I find Spain more interesting than India, Russia or any other soviet countries. But what I feel is missing at EPCOT is Australia, and anything more African than Morocco. I also feel a middle eastener country should be represented... so that people can be more educated about islamic culture... as opposed to thinking they are all terrorists, especially since a good percentage of tourists at WDW are... ahem.. red in the back of their necks?

But in regards to this and any possible expansion at EPCOT... we have all heard this before. Rumors rumors, and nothing happens, especially when it comes to WDW's management not being willing to add and expand the parks properly and with quality. Remember, it's all about the hotels and real state at WDW. I will not believe any of these so-called additions until I see vertical construction taking place and even so, as is the case with the botched fantasyland expansion, I won't believe anything until it opens for good.

• Minion

Sounds bogus from the lack of Imagination redo. It's always been high on the supposed to-do list for Epcot's future projects and it's silly they'd put Energy before it, because even with how dated it's become, Energy can still coast on Ellen DeGeneres and Jeopardy for a few more years.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

^ Most of the WS was built without sponser for the individual country's. Infact, most the countries were built by Disney, for Disney with very little if any involvement from the nation the pavillion represents. Yes Morrocco and Norway were exceptions, but the other pavillons were not built by the Countries they represent.

So Disney could just decide to do it... but I doubt they ever would. Maybe if a 100+ investor banged on Disney's door and said "PLEASE LET ME BUILD IT" but what would the investor get in return? Just doesn't seem likely. sigh.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Romantic View Post
    It reads like a laundry list of rumored changes for Epcot from the last couple decades. I'd love to see all of it, but without real sources I'm skeptical about any of it. There's also the issue that the Imagination pavilion, which isn't even mentioning in that list, is going to need serious help once Eo's run is over.
    I loved the "Mindstorms" fast paced multi-tech interactive ride that was rumored for the Imagination pavilion several years back.

As far as the "laundry list" goes, keep the faith. The 30th plus Wizarding World's success means that WDW has to get up off it's rodent butt and build some high caliber new attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    ^I agree, Imagination needs some serious fixing - however it can stay as it is for the time being while they add these other things.

Spain would be quite a nice addition - perhaps a façade from one of Guadi's buildings or something like the Alhambra?

The notion of a Ginza district would be quite a nice addition too. Lets hope they do it!
    Spain and a Ginza district would each add some attendance bolstering freshness to the cast of countries at World Showcase.

Quote Originally Posted by cositaluvsmickey View Post
    I hope (but I'm seriously doubting it) that they bring back Body Wars) but if they are going to make something new at the Wonders of Life Pavillion...at least make use of all that space
    Never had the opportunity to experience Body Wars. I'll be happy with that or any other high energy attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I'd be shocked if anything like this happens. Disney seems content in leaving World Showcase as it is.
    It will indeed be a shocker. But, at least part of this rumor will happen. Disney knows that it won't get away with a totally lame, no bang publicity ruge on it's 30th.

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I would be completely floored if this happened. I haven't heard any rumblings of this (which doesn't mean much), but if they are adding a country it means they have found a sponsor with over 100 million dollars burning a hole in their pocket.
    Yep. Perhaps they'll borrow the money from China.

• Banned User

As far as the "laundry list" goes, keep the faith. The 30th plus Wizarding World's success means that WDW has to get up off it's rodent butt and build some high caliber new attractions.
    For that to happen, you will first need a management team who really cares about show and quality... and WDW does not have that. Maybe in the futur it will but as long as the back rubbing and step-fathering way of placing people at the top continues, I highly doubt WDW will ever get any better than what it is today.. and that's not a compliment since IMHO.. it is the worst disney resort on Earth, where Disney Magic and Quality has been stretched out thin by all of the resort's expansiveness.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Like the country does in real life? Interesting transition.
    Spain juxtaposed between France and Morocco would be a way cool example of art imitating life.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Spain is not a good choice for an additional country. There have to be at least a dozen more interesting countries that deserve to be in EPCOT long before Spain. Epcot doesn't need another western European Country, EPCOT needs more diversity. Epcot lready has plenty of Western Europe represented, and countries from other parts of the Globe need to be represented, to justifiy this section of the park to be called the "World Showcase".

India, Russia, and other former USSR block countries, and what about more countries from Eastern Europe (Poland, Czech/Slovakia, Austria, Romania, Bulgaria) about some countries representing South America, (Chile Argentina, Brazil) Australia, New Zealand, Egypt, Israel, certainly more countrie in the Mid East need representation (Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia) Greece, a combination of countries from SE Asia, Indonesia. And much of Africa is not represeted either, how about Madagascar, too.
    India certainly has plenty of cash these days to well afford a sponsorship. Russia, Austraiia, Saudi Arabia and Madagascar could afford the investment as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Al, personally, I find Spain more interesting than India, Russia or any other soviet countries. But what I feel is missing at EPCOT is Australia, and anything more African than Morocco. I also feel a middle eastener country should be represented... so that people can be more educated about islamic culture... as opposed to thinking they are all terrorists, especially since a good percentage of tourists at WDW are... ahem.. red in the back of their necks?

But in regards to this and any possible expansion at EPCOT... we have all heard this before. Rumors rumors, and nothing happens, especially when it comes to WDW's management not being willing to add and expand the parks properly and with quality. Remember, it's all about the hotels and real state at WDW. I will not believe any of these so-called additions until I see vertical construction taking place and even so, as is the case with the botched fantasyland expansion, I won't believe anything until it opens for good.
    I'd jump at the chance to visit an Astralian pavilion, should Disney induce the country to opt for a sponsorship.

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Sounds bogus from the lack of Imagination redo. It's always been high on the supposed to-do list for Epcot's future projects and it's silly they'd put Energy before it, because even with how dated it's become, Energy can still coast on Ellen DeGeneres and Jeopardy for a few more years.
    The transforming ride seats of Energy unique and present dynamic family fun. If they do upgrade the ride, I would want to see it improved and not totally replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    ^ Most of the WS was built without sponser for the individual country's. Infact, most the countries were built by Disney, for Disney with very little if any involvement from the nation the pavillion represents. Yes Morrocco and Norway were exceptions, but the other pavillons were not built by the Countries they represent.

So Disney could just decide to do it... but I doubt they ever would. Maybe if a 100+ investor banged on Disney's door and said "PLEASE LET ME BUILD IT" but what would the investor get in return? Just doesn't seem likely. sigh.
    One way or another, Disney will work it out. As I have said before, a sponsorship would expedite the the company off of it's goofy butt.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    For that to happen, you will first need a management team who really cares about show and quality... and WDW does not have that. Maybe in the futur it will but as long as the back rubbing and step-fathering way of placing people at the top continues, I highly doubt WDW will ever get any better than what it is today.. and that's not a compliment since IMHO.. it is the worst disney resort on Earth, where Disney Magic and Quality has been stretched out thin by all of the resort's expansiveness.
    Well, I certainly do hope WDW ceases it's saturated nepotism system of highing people that have neither earned their positions, nor appreciate them. This is my prevailing wish, on account of all the people in the area that deserve a world class resort. If the place continues to crash and burn however...I suppose I'm good with that...as I'm rooting for the disneyland Resort to become the top stateside multinational vacation destination.

We DLR goers in California have been dominated by Orlando for far too long...and the company is certainly benefitting from attendance/revenue increases (associated with the continuing makeover investment) far more than it thought that it would.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast