Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Now with 5% more insanity

Re: Green Light For Monsters Inc. Roller Coaster In 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Yeti
    Why stop there? Nemo gets an entire pavilion, a musical, and multiple distinct attractions on both coasts. Toy Story has pretty much all of Pixar Place at the moment, plus a ride in Tomorrowland, an area at DHS, and two hotel buildings at the All Stars. And Cars is getting a whole land to itself out at DCA.

But that said, all of those things are remarkably well done, and if Pixar attractions are always as high-quality as their films, then I don't mind if they keep churning them out.
    This ^

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who is optimistic about Pixar's quality. :3

• Member; Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Yeti View Post
    ...all of those things are remarkably well done, and if Pixar attractions are always as high-quality as their films, then I don't mind if they keep churning them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BANANAZ View Post
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who is optimistic about Pixar's quality.
    High quality?

The motion pictures are but the attractions that are inspired from them
    is quite the opposite.

Almost every Pixar based attraction has been shoehorned with any
    regard to thematic cohesiveness.

Some of these attractions do not incorporate a new experience/story
    and instead rehash the plot line from their films respectively.

And.

Several of these attractions suffer by being incorporated into
    carnival style rides.

Pixar's films and characters are sure deserving of an attraction
    but almost, not all, everyone has been executed with great lackluster.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I would be pessimistic too, if it wasn't for the fact that Pixar is going to be involved in this as well. I have a little more faith in Pixar then in Disney at the moment, and I feel like Pixar isn't going to let Disney trample all over them when it comes to one of their creations.
    I'm not sure that is really true. Bugs Land at DCA and Toy Story Playland at DLP and Hong Kong aren't really high quality. They are cute, but really just carnival rides with some Pixar details. Midway mania (while really fun) is a totally stripped down ride. There are no animatronics or sets, just video screens. It is like playing inside of an XBox. I'd say that Finding Nemo Sub Voyage and the Finding Nemo Musical ARE very high quality and inventive.

So it is really a mixed bag.

I'm not saying that this rumored ride will be awesome or horrible, I have no way of knowing at this point. BUT assuming that because it is Pixar it will be great may not be a safe assumption.

I'm looking forward to following this rumor as I am all WDW topics at this point. Disney World is in TERRIBLE shape and I sincerely hope that the sudden realization by the fans that something needs to be done at WDW will also translate into the same sort of renaissance for that property as Disneyland got for the 50th and DCA is currently getting.

I think it can happen folks. I think there are enough people (Both within the company and fans alike) who care about WDW to push for and make quality change happen.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

When and Where?

Timekeeper

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob™ View Post
    High quality?

The motion pictures are but the attractions that are inspired from them
    is quite the opposite.

Almost every Pixar based attraction has been shoehorned with any
    regard to thematic cohesiveness.

Some of these attractions do not incorporate a new experience/story
    and instead rehash the plot line from their films respectively.

And.

Several of these attractions suffer by being incorporated into
    carnival style rides.

Pixar's films and characters are sure deserving of an attraction
    but almost, not all, everyone has been executed with great lackluster.
    This.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• discoyeti.com blogger

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have different themes. I don't WANT Cars to have an entire land or every Pixar film to have multiple attractions. But most of the Pixar attractions I can think of (TSMM, Nemo Musical, Turtle Talk, Space Ranger Spin/AstroBlasters, Nemo Subs/dark ride, Pixar Place theming) have been well-executed.

Of course, there's always stuff like The Laugh Floor to mess that up.

Am I the only one who thought the Laugh Floor was cute? Honestly, I went on it, and thought that although it probably wasn't in the best place, it was pretty cute, and for a little kid, it would be great. Some older adults don't realize that there has to be rides for the smaller children as well, and not all of them will be as entertaining to the adults.

Also, from what I've seen, all of the Pixar rides I've been on seemed very well done and I was impressed. Lets see... I've been on...

Buzz Lightyear
    Midway Mania
    Monsters Inc Laugh Floor
    Turtle Talk with Crush
    The Seas with Nemo

Also, while looking at TSPL, while I agree that it's a shame that they didn't put a dark ride in there, I thought it was a neat little place and I would have liked to have gone there myself to check it out. They put a lot of detail into the props, such as making it look like they were giant toys. Sure, they're not E-tickets, but not all rides CAN be E-tickets, and IMO, it's kind of nice to have little rides to go on while your waiting for your FastPass to be up. (This in no way means I agree with the FP system. Don't kill me...)

• Golden State of Mind

I for one think TSM is a great and high quality ride. Those 120 minute wait times at DHS show that a lot of people agree.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Midway mania (while really fun) is a totally stripped down ride. There are no animatronics or sets, just video screens. It is like playing inside of an XBox .
    The problem here is that the recently-minted head of WDI (Bruce Vaughn) is extremely young. I think he's about 40, give or take. Since when do 40-year-olds oversee key divisions at Disney? But whatever. Anyway, he LOVES video games. He grew up in the era of Nintendo and then PS2. He doesn't have an art background, or a film background--but a computer science background. The first time he ever went to ANY Disney park, he was 27. Seriously. So until Bruce goes, expect to see a whole lot more rides that look like something you might buy for a Wii.

The area where Sorceror Mickey had the meet and greet next to the entrance to the backstage tour already has elements from Monsters Inc. This was discussed when Pixar Place first opened. There are signs up (well were when I was there last year) that something is coming. I have a feeling that they will use the soundstage but also have to add on to that to make the coaster area larger. Very excited about this one.

I also feel that some are taking the carney ride situation a little too far. If you're throwing Crush's Coaster and Mullholland Madness (re Goofy's Sky Skool) and the dino coaster at DAK, you might as well throw in Walt's original Dumbo and rockets in Tomorrowland as well as Magic Carpets of Aladdin as they are just spinners.

As for Pixar themed attractions, I say bring them on, BUT place them in either DCA or DHS. I don't feel they have a place in either Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom. With that said, I would love (after the Fantasyland forest expansion) to redo Tomorrowland and move Buzz and the Laugh Floor to DHS in a redone fashion.

DHS can become one excellent park with a Lucas Land and Pixar Place. I still feel they missed the boat with Sunset Blvd by not adding in the Dick Tracy elements and attractions.

• Member; Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Herc View Post
    I also feel that some are taking the carney ride situation a little too far. If you're throwing Crush's Coaster and Mullholland Madness (re Goofy's Sky Skool) and the dino coaster at DAK, you might as well throw in Walt's original Dumbo and rockets in Tomorrowland as well as Magic Carpets of Aladdin as they are just spinners.
    There is a substantial difference.

Dumbo, Astro Orbitor and Magic Carpets are attractions that
    add kinetic energy and are utilized as filler attractions.

These attractions are not the only ones that can be found in
    their respective "land". Peter Pan's Flight, Pinocchio's Daring Adventure, etc.
    serve as anchor attractions; attractions that add substance in the area.

Flick's Fun Fair and Toy Story Playland contain nothing but above average
    themed carnival style attractions. Albeit, both cater to different audiences,
    still neither contain an anchor to give their respective areas much purport.

Also, from what I've seen, all of the Pixar rides I've been on seemed very well done and I was impressed.
    Just to re-literate what Dusty has stated, the Pixar attractions such as
    Toy Story Midway Mania and Buzzlight Year Space Ranger Spin/Astro Blasters,
    suffer from non-elaborate sets and limited to non-existing audio animatronics
    and both painstakingly do not make any thematic sense.

Monsters Inc., Mike and Sulley to the Rescue, Finding Nemo Submarine
    Voyage suffer some of the reasons previously read but one new reason
    is both of these attractions do not offer a new experience nor plotline.

Now, as I have proclaimed before, not all of Pixar based attractions
    feature problematic flaws.

Perfect examples are the ones located in Tokyo.

Monsters Inc., Hide and Go Seek offers elaborate sets,
    full scale audio animatronics, and a new story line.

Turtle Talk with Crush implies a new impecable back story, a well detailed queue
    and makes a proper thematic connection in the "land" that is resides in.

However, even these attractions still have their blemishes but these
    have by far been executed on a caliber that not every other Pixar attraction
    can matched, thus far.

I'm honestly curious at what you mean by "anchor", Rob. I'm not quite sure I understand your thinking on that one...

And yes, while TSMM and BLAB couldn't be hurt with a little more animatronics, I feel like as a shooter ride, too much would be distracting. I was having trouble paying attention to the targets as it was. Maybe that's just me though. I'm an easily distracted person.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123