Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• The Study of Wumbo

Re: Should there be major E-Ticket attractions in World Showcase?

I think it would be a bad idea to put major attractions based on Disney movies and characters in World Showcase pavilions. I think it would be a great idea to put major attractions based on the countries and cultures themselves in World Showcase pavilions.

I love Grand Fiesta Tour dearly. I never saw Rio del Tiempo. Though it could be improved in this area, the Tour is more focused on the sights in Mexico, with a loose storyline featuring the characters.

An Alice in Wonderland ride would have nothing to do with the United Kingdom, besides the fact that the story was written by an Englishman. It would be like putting a Wizard of Oz attraction in the America pavilion.

Though I haven't experience Maelstrom myself, I've seen many a video of it and enjoy the concept very much. EPCOT Central did a good blog post about why Maelstrom is one of the best attractions in Walt Disney World.

The problem is, originally, most of the WS attractions originally planned were boat rides. Mexico, Norway, Germany, Italy... The themes of these attractions really limited the ride systems.

Everyone loves the opening sequence of Peter Pan's Flight, right? What if there was a small-scale suspended dark ride where you fly over sights of the United Kingdom at night? A little more realistic than Peter Pan.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWizard View Post
    They could even replace the old Impressions de France CircleVision film, which opened in with the park in '82, with the Ratatouille ride. I don't think it'll be much of a loss.
    Though I haven't seen it, I believe a lot of people think that France is the best quality and most timeless of the World Showcase films. It's held up well, I understand. I can't wait to see it.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Ok, so I guess since the American Adventure must just be a personal E-Ticket to me... Yes! I would love to see some more attractions in the World showcase, be it E-tickets or C-tickets. But as it has already been said, don't mess with the world showcase too much. The attractions should fit in like they were built when the pavilion was built, not as an afterthought. If it is quality, has a queue system that does NOT!!!!! interrupt the pavilion, and fits, why not.

Characters are ok... but they should most certainly not be the focus of the pavilion, or even the ride. It is the world showcase, not the character showcase. When they added The three caballeros to Mexico, they kept the main focus as a tour through mexico. It adds fun, and recognizability, but still Showcases Mexico's beauty and mystery. Adding an alice in wonderland ride would make no sense. Just because it takes place in the UK doesn't mean the ride would showcase the country, which is the point of the pavilion.

As for the world showcase being boring... What?! is about all I can say. It is most definitely one of my favorite places in all of WDW, just the feeling of culture. The details. All these countries together, a united world. It gives me an amazing feeling. I spend at the very least a hour just wandering the world showcase as the park empties out... Enjoying the atmosphere, the lights, the experience.

So... Yes to attractions that fit, and don't disrupt... and no to character-based attractions that are there because their story is set there. And while you're at it, fix Future World! haha.

• Not a Crook

Quote Originally Posted by Epcot2000 View Post
    Ok, so I guess since the American Adventure must just be a personal E-Ticket to me
    I didn't even think of the American Adventure. I don't know if its because it's a theatre show, or just that it's something you really only want to see once on your trip, but that attraction always seems to be forgotten. I definitely think it is worth E-Ticket status, though.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

For me I think World Showcase could use a few attractions, but I would want them to be relevant to the country in which they are placed.

Mexico: I think this pavillion has plenty to offer as it is.

Norway: Update Maelstrom a little. It's looking a little tired. Add some effects of something. I'd prefer they return Akershaus to it's original offering, but the princess character dinner does huge business, so that won't happen. At least make the Kringla bakery better

China: I feel China is OK the way it is, maybe a nice dark ride based on Mulan could be added.

Germany: Add the river ride that was in the original plans, or something.

Italy: To me Italy is a little boring as it is. Dis it really need another table service restaurant serving highly overpriced pizza? How about a C or D attraction based on Lady and the Tramp or something that tells of the Roman Empire. There is so much history in Italy that could be tapped

American Adventure: Better food offerings,

Japan: I think the long rumored Mount Fuji style roller coaster would be cool.

Morocco: This could be another opportunity to showcase Moroccan culture, how about a mAgic Carpet ride through the country or a dark ride based on Aladdin.

France: With at least 3 Disney & Pixar films based in France, there is so much that could be done here and there is plenty of space behind France to add on. I'm looking at a D or E ride based on Beauty and the Beast or Sleeping Beauty. How about a Harry Potter like ride fighting Malificent?

United Kingdom: So many options here as well. Peter Pan, Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland all can play a part in this area. How about an updated effects driven C or D ride based on Alice in Wonderland using either the Animated or Live Action movies as inspiration.

Canada: With Canada's outdoorsy type atmosphere I can easily see them porting California Adventure's grizzly rapids ride here and re-theming it to Brother Bear.

EPCOT is my favorite park, but I do wish it had more attractions. I don't agree though that there isn't much to see. There is plenty to see and nt everything has to be a "ride" in order to see it. If people would slow down and enjoy the surroundings they would "see" a lot more than rushing from place to place and in the process might learn something.

• Now with 5% more insanity

Eh... I'm kind of not liking the ideas that incorporate Disney characters. I just don't think that's what World Showcase is about. World Showcase rides should be just that, they should showcase the country they were from, not advertise Disney characters.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Marty Sklar once said that The American Adventure was his favorite attraction ever built. It is very impressive.

I miss El Rio.
    -Bill

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post
    How about a Harry Potter like ride fighting Malificent?
    Sounds like a wonderful idea for the Fantasyland Expansion...
    -Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BANANAZ View Post
    Eh... I'm kind of not liking the ideas that incorporate Disney characters. I just don't think that's what World Showcase is about. World Showcase rides should be just that, they should showcase the country they were from, not advertise Disney characters.
    Agreed 100%. And if they feel that they DO need to put them in, they should still follow your statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Marty Sklar once said that The American Adventure was his favorite attraction ever built. It is very impressive.

I miss El Rio.
    Indeed it is... Now that SSE had been murdered (let's not get into that), it's my favorite attraction in Epcot. And I have seen SO MANY people walk right past the pavilion mentioning something along the lines of "oh. We live here, we don't need to go in there." Heck, I did it twice! But I wish I hadn't now that I've seen it. The first time I saw it, we actually skipped illuminations (we had seen it earlier in the week... not that we couldn't see it again, but I wanted to check the show out) to see The American Adventure, and there were about 10 guests in the entire building. Needless to say, there were no crying babies or talking people, and it felt like our own personal show. And if you have any sense of patriotism, It will leave you with tears in your eyes and a new respect for your country

The only things I really miss about El Rio are the name and narration gave you more of a sense of special mystery, and the catchy song
    Last edited by Epcot2000; 08-22-2010 at 05:35 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Epcot2000 View Post
    The only things I really miss about El Rio are the name and narration gave you more of a sense of special mystery, and the catchy song
    I MISS THE SONG!!!!!! Ba dum dum dum.. de diddle dum dum dum, de diddle dum dum dum....

I miss clapping drunkenly along after drinking around the world.

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post
    Mexico: I think this pavillion has plenty to offer as it is.

Norway: Update Maelstrom a little. It's looking a little tired. Add some effects of something. I'd prefer they return Akershaus to it's original offering, but the princess character dinner does huge business, so that won't happen. At least make the Kringla bakery better

China: I feel China is OK the way it is, maybe a nice dark ride based on Mulan could be added.

Germany: Add the river ride that was in the original plans, or something.

Italy: To me Italy is a little boring as it is. Dis it really need another table service restaurant serving highly overpriced pizza? How about a C or D attraction based on Lady and the Tramp or something that tells of the Roman Empire. There is so much history in Italy that could be tapped

American Adventure: Better food offerings,

Japan: I think the long rumored Mount Fuji style roller coaster would be cool.

Morocco: This could be another opportunity to showcase Moroccan culture, how about a mAgic Carpet ride through the country or a dark ride based on Aladdin.

France: With at least 3 Disney & Pixar films based in France, there is so much that could be done here and there is plenty of space behind France to add on. I'm looking at a D or E ride based on Beauty and the Beast or Sleeping Beauty. How about a Harry Potter like ride fighting Malificent?

United Kingdom: So many options here as well. Peter Pan, Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland all can play a part in this area. How about an updated effects driven C or D ride based on Alice in Wonderland using either the Animated or Live Action movies as inspiration.

Canada: With Canada's outdoorsy type atmosphere I can easily see them porting California Adventure's grizzly rapids ride here and re-theming it to Brother Bear.
    China has a pretty large-scale movie attraction right now, and a Mulan attraction would have little to do with the focus of the pavilion.

As far as I can remember the only thing in Lady and the Tramp that has to do with Italy is the two dogs eating spaghetti at an Italian restaurant. And that restaurant is in the Magic Kingdom. NO way.

I would be worried that a Mount Fuji or Matterhorn mountain roller coaster attraction would be compared to Everest far too often. But a train-themed attraction, not necessarily a roller coaster, would be cool for Japan.

Again, for Morocco, I feel it would be much better to have attractions based on the country instead of based on a Disney movie. It only makes sense.

The only Disney story I can think of really being appropriate for France would be the Hunchback of Notre Dame and maybe a little Beauty and the Beast here and there. Still, though, I believe that France is in good-standing right now.

As I said earlier, Alice in Wonderland wouldn't have anything to do with the UK other than the author being from the UK.

I agree with a water ride for Canada. Not rapids, we have those in DAK. Not Brother Bear, that movie hasn't exactly stuck around.

And anything else I didn't mention I totally agree with.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SAV View Post
    How can you give a thumbs down to AK? I guess if you are a person who wants to run through and do rides, you may not "get" what AK is all about. It isn't about rides. It's a place to slow down and appreciate the beauty of the park. If you just run through from ride to ride, you miss out on De Vine, the monkeys, the whole front of the park with the animals and their keepers, the detail in the lands. AK isn't all about the attractions.

But the sooner you leave, the less crowded it is for me...so Thanks!!!.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    You're breaking my heart MP. I LOVE DAK, but I'm an animal person. I think it boils down to the kind of park goer you are.
    Actually I am not a person that goes just for the rides. I am the person who goes in to take everything in. I love to sit on a bench, drink a cup of coffee and people watch. I love to walk around and look at everything. This is why I was at WDW even when I was 7 1/2 months pregnant and would not ride the rides. Because it is not about the rides.
    I have 2 problems with AK
    1-It is just too hot. Everytime I have gone to AK- it was unbearably hot. Seriously. I can never take it. There is very little places to find there to cool off.
    2-Chester and Hester area. Can't stand it.

My favorite attractions at Animal Kingdom is Flights of Wonder. A terrific show. I always went to AK- but its totally losts it appeal to me.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post

I agree with a water ride for Canada. Not rapids, we have those in DAK. Not Brother Bear, that movie hasn't exactly stuck around.
    The Log ride for Canada, was one, that I was always crossing my fingers would make it out of development... but at least it was in development... dang you Project Gemini!!

• Now with 5% more insanity

Well, I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread, but here it goes.

Hmmm... on another note, I was thinking of something Hunchback that would have a lot more relevance to France. I've said before in another thread that I'm not fond of movie characters in the WS, but I do think this would work well enough for the WS without really disturbing it's theme too much.

For a concept, I was wondering if it would be neat for the 3 gargoyles from Hunchback to do an interactive show of types on Notre Dame, somewhat like Turtle Talk but with much more theming. The show would be set inside a replica of the bell tower of Notre Dame, and there would be different screens placed around the room to where the trio (Victor, Hugo, and Laverne) could talk about the history of Notre Dame and some of the bells and such. This would be relevant to modern times, and the gargoyles could even use modern objects, as people age, and statues do not. (Well, at least not much.)

Questions, comments, concerns?

• Not a Crook

Well, I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread, but here it goes.

Hmmm... on another note, I was thinking of something Hunchback that would have a lot more relevance to France. I've said before in another thread that I'm not fond of movie characters in the WS, but I do think this would work well enough for the WS without really disturbing it's theme too much.

For a concept, I was wondering if it would be neat for the 3 gargoyles from Hunchback to do an interactive show of types on Notre Dame, somewhat like Turtle Talk but with much more theming. The show would be set inside a replica of the bell tower of Notre Dame, and there would be different screens placed around the room to where the trio (Victor, Hugo, and Laverne) could talk about the history of Notre Dame and some of the bells and such. This would be relevant to modern times, and the gargoyles could even use modern objects, as people age, and statues do not. (Well, at least not much.)

Questions, comments, concerns?
    I could see it as a very brief experience as part of a greater addition, but I don't think that's enough for any kind of substantial experience. The history of Notre Dame is fascinating, but I don't see it working for an entire attraction. Not to mention it's hard enough to get people to ask questions about fish in Turtle Talk, I don't even want to think about trying to quiz people about French architectural history.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• The Study of Wumbo

I think, of all of Disney's franchises that are related to France, Hunchback is the best suited, because it is based on a well-known French story and takes place in a landmark of Paris.
    -Hale (wumbology)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast