Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Nutty about Disney parks

Re: Should there be major E-Ticket attractions in World Showcase?

I put some quick thought into this after reading the title of this thread...when I think about it, I wouldnt mind new rides or attractions that are small in scale but anything major like a roller coaster or a thrill ride would just be way too much for an area that is mostly devoted to atmosphere experience.

Perhaps there shouldnt be anything crazier than a Maelstrom ride in the World Showcase. I'd rather that money be spent on new country pavilions.

• Metro-Retro Historian

I originally thought of posting something about how much I dislike the term E-ticket. Since the ticket book was replaced with general admission, these classifications have become rather subjective and ambiguous, but perhaps that is a topic for another thread.

As for world showcase getting more ride type attractions, I am hard pressed to find a reason not to. After all, the park is already at least two attractions (Germany and Japan) short of even its own opening expectations. I understand why these were cut then. Budget cuts and deadlines can sneak up on a project like that, but The Walt Disney Company is quite a bit more stable than it was in 1982 and there's no reason why at least Germany's attraction would still remain unfinished. At least that building is the right size, unlike Japan's. You would think that the company would be slightly embarrassed by these unfinished attractions, especially when even a little research on the internet turns these projects up.

I think it would be fitting for each country to have a true attraction of its own. There are people who only care about rides and adding attractions is a way to get them to spend more time and money in those pavilions instead of sprinting from Norway to The American Adventure, then catching the boat back to Future World in time to use their Test Track fastpasses. However, attractions involving Disney animated properties is not the way I would like to see this happen. As much as I would love the return of Mr. Toad's Wild ride, I think placing it in the UK pavilion is antithetical to the original theme of not only World Showcase, but all Disney Parks in general.

World Showcase is supposed to be a place for member countries to showcase their unique culture and heritage. Cartoon themed rides would change that thesis to, "Disney is all over the world," which not only makes Disney look like some massive empire but also diminishes the actual cultures of these many diverse lands.

By all means Disney should add more countries and build more attractions, but let them have their own identities. Then if people get interested enough in these other cultures to see them first hand, Disney can sell them Vacation Club properties all over the world. See, there's still a way to make money off it.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I originally thought of posting something about how much I dislike the term E-ticket. Since the ticket book was replaced with general admission, these classifications have become rather subjective and ambiguous, but perhaps that is a topic for another thread.

As for world showcase getting more ride type attractions, I am hard pressed to find a reason not to. After all, the park is already at least two attractions (Germany and Japan) short of even its own opening expectations. I understand why these were cut then. Budget cuts and deadlines can sneak up on a project like that, but The Walt Disney Company is quite a bit more stable than it was in 1982 and there's no reason why at least Germany's attraction would still remain unfinished. At least that building is the right size, unlike Japan's. You would think that the company would be slightly embarrassed by these unfinished attractions, especially when even a little research on the internet turns these projects up.

I think it would be fitting for each country to have a true attraction of its own. There are people who only care about rides and adding attractions is a way to get them to spend more time and money in those pavilions instead of sprinting from Norway to The American Adventure, then catching the boat back to Future World in time to use their Test Track fastpasses. However, attractions involving Disney animated properties is not the way I would like to see this happen. As much as I would love the return of Mr. Toad's Wild ride, I think placing it in the UK pavilion is antithetical to the original theme of not only World Showcase, but all Disney Parks in general.

World Showcase is supposed to be a place for member countries to showcase their unique culture and heritage. Cartoon themed rides would change that thesis to, "Disney is all over the world," which not only makes Disney look like some massive empire but also diminishes the actual cultures of these many diverse lands.

By all means Disney should add more countries and build more attractions, but let them have their own identities. Then if people get interested enough in these other cultures to see them first hand, Disney can sell them Vacation Club properties all over the world. See, there's still a way to make money off it.
    Nice post, I agree with all of this.

The only time we spend any real time in world showcase is during the food and wine festival. Otherwise it's margarita, maelstrom, and...oh yeah we're done. I think a nice dark ride would do a lot to get people at that end of the park. As has been stated, it would need to be (enter country here)-themed, and not Disney cartoonish.

I wouldn't say E-tickets

But an issue is that the only two rides are next door to each other, which can be frustrating to parents with restless children.

I would say the rapid ride at Canada is a bad idea since a ride that soaks you is probably the least likely ride most guest of World Shocase would want, that might be best suited elsewhere

And a simply carbon copy of Mr Toad for England might be better reinvented as the host on a crazy tour of England in his new Motor Car.

So both facets win kids get their character and adults can "learn"

The same could be done for France with Remy or a trip thru the sewers on a dark water ride (but not soaking ride)

{fill in your own french jokes here}

I never understood why there wasnt a gondola ride in Italy or even Gondolas rides onto the lake for a premium price

I would stay away from high speed thrill rides, or staff up on custodial with some guest desire to "drink around the world"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I am going to stand by what I said earlier, and that I feel that any attraction that goes in to WS should be an original story, and not based on any Intellectual Property.

Its interesting that Eticket seems to imply to many a huge intrusive thrill ride of some sort. I also am a bit confused as to how Maelstrom fits into the Cticket category when it stands well above Ctickets in most other parks. Heck if it weren't so short and falling a little flat in the second act I'd label it an Eticket.

I think I'll mostly side with those who don't want cartoon characters in the World Showcase though. I wouldn't mind less realism more exploration of myths or other cultural ideas but I wouldn't want to see it disneyfied at least not in the traditional since. Something like the Sinbad ride from TDS almost seems like it could fit? I definitely think another attraction or two SHOULD hit the World Showcase if only to counterbalance Maelstrom and Grand Fiesta Tour. I wouldn't even care if it was a thrill ride as long as it fit naturally with its setting and didn't stand out and destroy the present feeling of the World Showcase.

A raft ride in Canada sounds GREAT to me as long as they make it feel sufficiently Canadian and avoid making it feel like a retread of other raft rides. I respect the cultural exhibits of the World Showcase but also see that it is so large that at least in a few spots they could expand out and have both. Maybe even get the ride focused people to realize how nifty some of the exhibits really are. I think alot of the film stuff can go as most of it doesn't feel that special anymore.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234