Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Walt Disney World Resort Update

Greetings... here's this weeks WDW Update...

Magic Kingdom...

Expect a Holiday Wishes to replace the regular Wishes at 8pm on November 14 and 16th. (This Mon. and Wed.)

Christmas Decorations are now everywhere, and the music has been adjusted in some areas. The Haunted Mansion is in dire need of another rehab.

Epcot...

Security at the entrance no longer uses the individual tables at each turnstile. Instead, the exit has become the new entrance, and a secured area has been created. Temp tables have been set-up in front of this new area, and we can expect these changes to become permanent if they help.

Soarin' is broken on concourse A... (the left side) The film is very dirty, it jumps, and the fans are not working. Soarin' offers a much better experience on concourse B. (the right side)

Sunshine Seasons has downsized some of its portions, and of course kept the prices the same or raised them. I'm not really a happy camper... lol

The Lights of Winter are being installed this week, along with many more Christmas Decorations.

The long range comets are now being shot off from the sea wall during the Illuminations finale. Previously they were using short range comets for the finale. Short range comets are still being used for the other sea wall launches, but that is normal. The Inferno Barge is still out of service indefinately. Contrary to what some are saying, the barge was totaled during the explosion that happened with the ALF system. New fireworks to replace the inferno barge were tested last week, as well as some extra laser effects. They will be used in all showings of Illuminations with the Holiday Tag to enhance the Chaos Sequence during the absence of the Inferno Barge. Smaller silver waterfall shells are still being used, but no word on if we will ever get the larger silver waterfalls back. (These are the white fireworks that spread out only in a downward direction from high in the air.)

The Living Seas is expected to open November 23rd with the new SeaBase section complete. The new attraction will not be complete until mid-year 2006. The new Sea Base includes a brand new entrance (The Hydrolators are gone) as well as Nemo theming through out the base. Recent rumors indicate that Turtle Talk now has a more formal line queue. A new background music (BGM) loop featuring music from the Disney/PIXAR hit film "Finding Nemo" is expected to replace the old Living Seas BGM Loop.

Spaceship Earth, Reflections of Earth, and an area of Innoventions (pending) are set to be sponsored by Siemens.

Club Cool is almost complete... photos coming soon...

Disney-MGM Studios...

Christmas decorations are now everywhere in the park.

The Spectale of Lights is opening Monday night.

Super Soap Weekend created mass chaos this year, and the event is now planed to go under major changes for next year's handling of crowd control.

The Disney-MGM Studios Logo Archway is back in an altered form. However, it does look like it would be very easy to change overnight.

Disney-MGM Studios merchandise is absent from most giftshops.

Disney's Animal Kingdom...

Everest looks amazing, and it is still on track for soft openings in late Dec./ early Jan. despite what some people are saying.

Tarzan ROCKS! will not be here next year. Go get your photos and videos while you still can.

Christmas Decorations are everywhere, as well as the music that goes with it. Each popular character has his or her own tree in Camp Minnie-Mickey, so go take a look!

The jumping fountains are still not working in Camp Minnie-Mickey, and to be honest, I doubt they ever will. But that's also what I thought about them in Splash Mountain, and they started working again not long ago... so we'll see! Incidently, the last time I went on Splash Mountain, they were not working again. lol.

Animal Kingdom is once again a zoo. The Nahtazu promotion is over.

Kilimanjaro Safaris is in dire need of a rehab. Not sure how to do that, but it needs it. I'm starting to see modern fences and such, and it's really ruining the effect of being in Africa for me. And some new trees need to be planted, they're still missing a whole lot since before Hurricane Charley hit last year. Wilderness Lodge suffers from the same problem.

Downtown Disney...

Festival of the Masters was this weekend. You try and find a parking spot, it's impossible.

Oh, Christmas Decor is up there too.

Chicken Little is playing to full houses, and it's excellent in 3-D. Disney Digital 3-D is the future of all movies, not just Disney's.
    Last edited by captsmith84; 11-13-2005 at 11:59 AM.

• Banned User

Re: Walt Disney World Resort Update

nice update... now when will photos emerge?? (january.. LOL?)

Nice update, Bill.

I noticed many of the things you mentioned during a brief visit last week.

The one thing that was very nice, maybe because I had never seen them, was the Christmas decorations and tree at DAK. Spent Tuesday night wandering around the park for three hours mostly enjoying the spectacular lighting and the holiday stuff.

Mansion was closed when I was there, but I am guessing it was an emergency mechanical type deal and not the major rehab the attraction has needed for YEARS now. WAKE UP MR. HOLMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Siemens sponsorship is very big news in my opinion. It will likely lead to some much-needed TLC for SSE and, perhaps, a post-show again instead of a walled off ghetto-look we've been getting.

Anyway, I have some more observations, but I'm falling asleep at the computer so they'll have to wait ...

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    The long range comets are now being shot off from the sea wall during the Illuminations finale.
    Just a quick question...are these the loud ones that were featured in past Illuminations? I asked because when I was younger, those used to scare the crap out of me (that was one of the reasons I didn't like Illuminations back then). If these are not the loud ones, what is the difference between them and short range ones?

Animal Kingdom is once again a zoo. The Nahtazu promotion is over.
    And just for those interested, it's current slogan (at least as of July) is "Adventure Awaits". As for Kilimanjaro, I'd imagine they are waiting for Everest to open (but I could be wrong).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Nice update. The Haunted Mansion opened early from its rehab then? It was scheduled to be down until November 15th. Not sure what they were doing during the rehab, but its odd to hear there are still nagging problems that weren't fixed during the week and half long rehab

KS is in a constant state of rehab and it should never have to actually "close" for a rehab. The animals constantly are changing the natural surroundings and it requires a daily upkeep of the grounds. Depending on how new some vegetation is, some fencing can be seen from time to time if you look for it in the distance. In all of my trips on KS, the only place I've ever seen any fencing was in the very back of the Cheetah habitat. Otherwise, there is very little fencing that can be seen from the vehicles to start with.

One of Soarin's theaters was just down recently. I don't know which one, but it was supposedly due to a broken projector. The attraction is now running with both theaters as of yesterday once again, but I do wonder which of the two was down and if it had anything to do with the differences you mention between concourse A and B.

• Banned User

To answer some questions here...

-The long range comets are the louder ones. They were always a part of Reflections of Earth, but around when 100 YoM started, they replaced them with the shorter range comets. (I assume they were cheaper) Now they're back.

-One observation you didn't notice is my little thing on the inferno barge...

-I haven't been on the Haunted Mansion since the rehab started... this report was for this whole week, so, it's actually been a week since I've been to HM.

-Kilimanjaro is in BAD shape. On the last visit I saw about 20 fences that I shouldn't have seen, and various tree stumps that shouldn't be there. There were also some shrubs that were obviously missing, as well as some needed tree replacements. I'm well aware about what Kilimanjaro is supposed to go through rehab wise... I'm simply saying, it's not happening.

-One of Soarin's theaters was down on Wed. It was open once again on Thur. On Thur. I was on both theaters, and it was still broken with very bad show. (If you see what the projector is doing, you'll realize how bad it is.) I'm not saying it should be shut down... but they should at least try to get the fans working. The projector problem might take a while, as IMAX parts aren't the easiest to come by I suppose. LOL. Soarin' needs those two theaters, otherwise the line would be way too long. lol But come on, two major elements not working? That's pathetic if you ask me.

• Disney Memory Maker

-The long range comets are the louder ones.
    Oh joy. Well, at least I know about it now (so I won't be surprised the next time I see it).
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Out of curiosity, in what areas of the safari did you see the fencing? I know fencing can be seen in the beginning portion (before the open savanna) of the ride depending on the thickness of the vegatation growing in that area. When on the savanna portion, I would think there should be very few fences visible even with missing vegetation. Fencing can be seen once again around the Cheetah habitat if you look for it. I agree, no fences should be seen ever. It was one of the things the Imagineers were most proud of with the safari. Hopefully they can correct whatever vegatation is missing and/or being thinned out by the animals.

From what I understand, one of Soarin's theaters went down again some time Thursday, was down Friday for all or part of the day and was up running again some time Saturday. Perhaps the theater you noticed not working right was the one that went down over the past few days and its now fixed(?).

• Banned User

Fences are visible in about 5 different places on the main savanna. Other areas include the cheetah habitat, the roads that cross the main road, just beyond the lions, the area near the breaking bridge, and a few other places i can't remember. Trees are missing in many places, and a tree stump is all you will find on flamingo island.

And for Soarin', it's entirely possible it was fixed since Thur... I'll let you know the next time I ride.

• Banned User

Bah, sorry for a double post, but there's something else I forgot to mention...
    Beware of hitchiking... err, I mean Epcot's bag check is now done like the other parks, and I'll show you a photo in a bit of it.

• Banned User

Epcot has redone bag check?? i thought the current thing worked (sometimes thought they could pay for more guards and have more turns open...)

what have they done?? moved the bag check back to the tickets?? (small area to move bag check to.. but works cause everyone has to go through it..)

^^^They moved the bag check area back, so it isn't right in front of the main entrance turnstyles as it has been.

And I also have noticed numerous fences at an increasing rate on KS over the past 18 months. I'm sure the storms have had some effect, but Disney supposedly has one of the top landscaping/horticulture staffs on the planet. My gut says they just aren't replacing/replanting foliage as they should.

Paging Beth Stevens ... Dr. Beth Stevens ... please pick up the Mouse shaped courtesy phone ...

Over the course of the next couple weeks, the turnstiles at Epcot will be going through a series of positioning tests to see how the traffic patterns work with different configurations.

As an Epcot Park Greeter, I can honestly say that the newer configuration with the bag checks at central plaza is going to allieviate many of the crowd problems Epcot has had in the past. We now have the ability to shift our open turnstiles to fit the needs of the crowd, instead of having to work around available security.

As with all theme park tests, guest participation and reaction is appreciated, so if you have the chance to visit Epcot between now and Thanksgiving, let Guest Relations know how you feel about the various configurations, and they will help us determine how the turnstiles will be run in the future.

Cast Member participation is also highly recommended, so some of the changes you may see are ideas from myself and my fellow greeters.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Vehicle rotating backward

The Living Seas is expected to open November 23rd with the new SeaBase section complete. The new attraction will not be complete until mid-year 2006. The new Sea Base includes a brand new entrance (The Hydrolators are gone) as well as Nemo theming through out the base. Recent rumors indicate that Turtle Talk now has a more formal line queue. A new background music (BGM) loop featuring music from the Disney/PIXAR hit film "Finding Nemo" is expected to replace the old Living Seas BGM Loop.
    Argh! I'm not usually against Pixarization, but I wanted to see TLS before it gets altered TOO much. I guess I won't miss too much by losing the hydrolators, but I wanted to experience their dated special effects for myself.

MUST GET TO EPCOT... BEFORE CLASSIC 70s-80s TOMORROWLAND-STYLE ATTRACTIONS ARE ALL GONE

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Argh! I'm not usually against Pixarization, but I wanted to see TLS before it gets altered TOO much. I guess I won't miss too much by losing the hydrolators, but I wanted to experience their dated special effects for myself.
    You didn't miss much. You missed an elevator that went nowhere and perhaps the corniest preshow film ever made.

-Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast