Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Is this reasonable?

I'm thinking about making my first trip to WDW next July. I live on the West Coast so getting out there is not just something I can do anytime, so I figure I want to go all out and come as close to my dream trip as I possibly can.

I'm figuring staying about 16 days on property, combining about 3 different hotels (about a week at a value, a bit less than a week at a moderate, and the final 2 nights splurge at the contemporary); about 5 days each MK and Epcot and a day each DHS and AK with DTD mixed in; and about 2-3 days off to rest and explore other hotels. Now, costs aside, do you think this is a reasonable trip, or do you think I'll hit the wall (my biggest fear is the July weather).

• Not a Crook

Re: Is this reasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
    I'm figuring staying about 16 days on property, combining about 3 different hotels (about a week at a value, a bit less than a week at a moderate, and the final 2 nights splurge at the contemporary); about 5 days each MK and Epcot and a day each DHS and AK with DTD mixed in; and about 2-3 days off to rest and explore other hotels. Now, costs aside, do you think this is a reasonable trip, or do you think I'll hit the wall (my biggest fear is the July weather).
    I'm not sure if 5 days at Epcot and 5 days at Magic Kingdom is the best use of your time. It is July, so the lines might be prohibitive, but I'd still think you'd just be re-riding things and hanging around those parks by the end of the third day at each. Of course, you could always do the beers and wines around the world thing at Epcot, and you might manage to forget the first few days of your trip and do them over.

If you like zoos or animals at all, I'd say go at least a second day at Animal Kingdom just so you can explore the place and see what animals might have been hiding the last day you went. I'd also factor going back to Hollywood Studios so that you can ride the few (and I do mean few) great attractions there again.

There's also the matter of the transportation system. Since you're switching hotels three times and want to visit others, I'd say it's almost a necessity you get a rental car. While I love just using Disney transportation and forgetting the world, I can't imagine trying to use it with a mess of luggage in tow. Disney buses do not run directly from hotel to hotel, so you would have to take all your bags on a packed bus to one of the parks or Downtown Disney, and catch another bus or the monorail, depending on the hotel, to get to your final destination.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• MiceChat Travel Partner

Disney will move your luggage for you, so that is not a problem--you don't have to take it on their transportation. When you check out you just let bell services know and they will have your luggage taken to your next resort, or you could just take a cab to the next resort and check in with your luggage--it would not be too much to do so (maybe $20?)

I would absolutely explore Animal Kingdom and DHS more than one day. I would also take advantage of the fact you are staying for so long, and when it gets hot just head back to the room to wait out the heat and relax.

It might be nice to explore the area with a rental car for a few days-check out the local area, run to the grocery store etc. You could even make a day trip to Cape Canaveral or go see Harry Potter.
    MiceChat Preferred Travel Partner

Contact us to book your next Disney Vacation!

• MiceAge Columnist

5 days Epcot, 5 days MK, 1 day DHS, 1 day DAK: that is not correctly portioned. You'll be bored in MK after 3 days but rushed at DHS (and even DAK, if you've never been).

A first time visitor with that many days (lucky you) should explore the area, as others have said!

I'd do this:

2 days MK
    3 days epcot
    2 days DAK
    2 days DHS
    1 day Uni
    1 day IOA
    1 day Kennedy Space Center

That's 12 days. Assuming you have more days, I'd do water parks in the morning on two of them and then re-rides at MK and Epcot in the evenings.

The last two mornings I'd do the resort-hopping (you'll get sick of it if you do it all day) and then evenings in DtD, or maybe at DHS.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    5 days Epcot, 5 days MK, 1 day DHS, 1 day DAK: that is not correctly portioned. You'll be bored in MK after 3 days but rushed at DHS (and even DAK, if you've never been).

A first time visitor with that many days (lucky you) should explore the area, as others have said!

I'd do this:

2 days MK
    3 days epcot
    2 days DAK
    2 days DHS
    1 day Uni
    1 day IOA

That's 12 days. Assuming you have more days, I'd do water parks in the morning on two of them and then re-rides at MK and Epcot in the evenings.

The last two mornings I'd do the resort-hopping (you'll get sick of it if you do it all day) and then evenings in DtD, or maybe at DHS.
    100% agree

• Not a Crook

Quote Originally Posted by Silver7 View Post
    Disney will move your luggage for you, so that is not a problem--you don't have to take it on their transportation. When you check out you just let bell services know and they will have your luggage taken to your next resort, or you could just take a cab to the next resort and check in with your luggage--it would not be too much to do so (maybe $20?)

It might be nice to explore the area with a rental car for a few days-check out the local area, run to the grocery store etc. You could even make a day trip to Cape Canaveral or go see Harry Potter.
    Hmm, didn't know they provided that service. Doesn't change that you'll want a rental car for getting hotel to hotel when just visiting them. Using the Disney transportation for that is not fun, well, except for getting to hear the individual music and announcement tracks for each resort on the buses, but I'm just a weirdo in that regard.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Disney Fan & Musician

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post

I'd do this:

2 days MK
    3 days epcot
    2 days DAK
    2 days DHS
    1 day Uni
    1 day IOA

This.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• and too all a good fright

Will you be on the dining plan?
    Is this a solo trip?

Thanks everyone!

^Yes, it will be a solo trip. Not sure if I'll do a dining plan, but I like flexibility in what I'm doing so I'll probably skip it. Also will get an AP since I'll be there so many days and I can use that for food and merchandise discounts (and hopefully hotel discounts later too).

DHS and AK do not interest me as much as MK and Epcot (hence the 1 day each), but for the latter 2, I'm the type where besides doing attractions more than once and at different times of the day, I like to wander around and just soak up the experience (and probably a billion sunrays in the process lol). I also love amateur photography so a lot of my time will be used for that as well.

I've figured out ways to maybe shave back a day or 2 by visiting some hotels during midday breaks (ie the MK-area hotels via monorail when I'm at MK, and walking to Epcot area hotels during breaks from that park). Since I'll be on Disney property unfortunately I can't make the trek to other Orlando attractions, but I'll save those for a future time.

Any other tips would be appreciated!

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
    DHS and AK do not interest me as much as MK and Epcot (hence the 1 day each), but for the latter 2, I'm the type where besides doing attractions more than once and at different times of the day, I like to wander around and just soak up the experience (and probably a billion sunrays in the process lol). I also love amateur photography so a lot of my time will be used for that as well.
    I'd say Animal Kingdom is the best park for just enjoying the atmosphere. It has a lot of attractions that lend themselves to wandering around and taking things slow. Be sure to take advantage when AK has evening magic hours, as you won't get to see the park at night otherwise.

On that note, you might appreciate taking two days for AK, and cutting back on the Magic Kingdom. Five days seems like overkill.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

If you're getting an AP, make sure you also purchase the Tables in Wonderland card, which will give you 20% off of sitdown meals and some quick service meals, including alcohol! Also, with an AP you can park hop, so I wouldn't think in terms of this number of days at this park, etc. Open up some days at the MK and finish them at Epcot with IllumiNations, or do early entry at DAK and then hit Downtown Disney at night. Just pencil it all out on paper, and leave plenty of open room to re-visit the stuff you really enjoyed and would like to do again.

• and too all a good fright

^ Agreed. If you aren't doing the dining plan and aren't going off property, don't feel the need to hyper plan. Hit four different parks the first four days you're there and then decide what you want to revisit.

You had mentioned burnout. Here are a few things that tend to burn me out and what I do about them.

1. Bring Several pair of shoes. Its a small thing but being able to put on a different pair of shoes can feel like putting on whole new feet.

2. Getting from here to there is always a bit of a burnout for me. When possible use different types of transport (monorail, boat) when possible. This is also one of the reasons I tend to park hop as little as possible.

3. Epcot is probably the most heat friendly park as it offers the most indoor attractions. Ellen's energy adventure is 45 minutes of air conditioning!

4. Most of the stores have the same merch so unless the store is themed uniquely (ex. xmas store in liberty square) you won't be missing much.

5. Solo touring is awesome! Don't shy away from anything because you are on your own.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

As far as atmosphere, people watching and exploring goes... I rank the Orlando theme parks as such...
    1. Disney's Animal Kingdom
    2. Islands of Adventure
    3. Magic Kingdom
    4. Universal Studios
    5. Epcot
    6. Disney Hollywood Studios
    7. SeaWorld

• MiceAge Columnist

I still think you're being hasty if you already know you won't dedicate more than one day each to DAK and DHS. They are Disney-quality parks. They may not have as many rides as MK or as much charm/heart at Epcot, but they are no Six Flags parks.

Of course, with that many days and no car to leave property, you can always change your mind and allocate more time to DAK and DHS after you sample them. Thus, my advice is, sample them early - don't wait for the end.

And no car? Become good friends with Hess Express (walk there from DtD) to get cheap snacks. DVC resorts stock sandwich-making food. Disney prices are, um, a little high inside the park
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

If you haven't set the dates in stone (and it appears you haven't) I would seriously reconsider visiting in July. That is by far the hottest and busiest time of the year. Do not underestimate the heat. We've been in several different seasons and MUCH prefer the cooler months. My sister-in-law just returned and vowed to never return in the summer. It saps your energy and wastes your time. Oh....and we're Texans. We're used to the heat and still choose to stay away.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast