Thread: Disabled Access

• Reaver of Souls

Disabled Access

Just curious, I'll be visiting Orlando in June, and my Mother-in-Law will be using either a wheelchair or one of those motorized scooters (I'd use one myself, but that would just be for the fun of cruising around the park on one! She actually needs it.), and I was wondering what to expect. Is it a hassle? Do the CMs help out when neccessary? I'm just curious. Anyone been in a similar situation who would care to recount their experience?
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    Just curious, I'll be visiting Orlando in June, and my Mother-in-Law will be using either a wheelchair or one of those motorized scooters (I'd use one myself, but that would just be for the fun of cruising around the park on one! She actually needs it.), and I was wondering what to expect. Is it a hassle? Do the CMs help out when neccessary? I'm just curious. Anyone been in a similar situation who would care to recount their experience?
    Generally, WDW is probably one of the best places for disabled access. They've gone through great troubles to make the parks as accessible as they can.
    Your best source of info would be the pages on Deb Wills' site All Ears:
    http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/special.htm

They have info for most disabilities, and the site itself is a great place for general Disney info, too.

-Rob

• Reaver of Souls

Thanks Rob!
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

I visited last year with my Grandfather and it was much easier than I thought it would be. Most of the attractions are now ADA compliant so you can take your wheelchair or ECV through the que line with you. For a few of the attractions (especially at the Magic Kingdom) they aren't ADA compliant becuase they were built so long ago... that they offer an alternat entrance, and the CMs at these attractions know whats going on. The biggest problem I had was the first time I went into City Hall I went in without my Grandpa and I think that the CM thought I was trying to get the pass for myself so I could do the "immediate access" to all the rides, so she just asked that I bring him in before she gave out the Guest Assistance Card. And while the pass didn't get us immediate access to most of the rides it was still nice to have.