Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Living Seas ... "Try to Imagine"

Every time I see something like this I think about how sad it is that Nemo and Friends took over for the amazing mysteries of the real oceans, and I think back to that original opening video.

"Until now, scientifically inconceivable. Yet there ... (in) a world where we've spent less time than on the surface of the moon."

The Associated Press: Deep-sea images reveal colorful life off Indonesia

For those who don't think Nemo and Friends is bad ... it's stuff like this, real things happening in our real world, that make many of us miss the original, scientifically based Living Seas.

Re: The Living Seas ... "Try to Imagine"

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment68 View Post
    Every time I see something like this I think about how sad it is that Nemo and Friends took over for the amazing mysteries of the real oceans, and I think back to that original opening video.

"Until now, scientifically inconceivable. Yet there ... (in) a world where we've spent less time than on the surface of the moon."

The Associated Press: Deep-sea images reveal colorful life off Indonesia

For those who don't think Nemo and Friends is bad ... it's stuff like this, real things happening in our real world, that make many of us miss the original, scientifically based Living Seas.
    I'm with you.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Does anyone know the credits of that opening film, "The Sea" (ie, who wrote it? who did the voice-over).

I personally think it was one of the best pieces of show-writing WDI has done. I've actually got it in my itunes library.

"We welcome you to that future. We welcome you to Sea Base Alpha..." Gave me chills as a kid. Bittersweet, though, as it underscores the tragic murder of EPCOT's Future World.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Does anyone know the credits of that opening film, "The Sea" (ie, who wrote it? who did the voice-over).

I personally think it was one of the best pieces of show-writing WDI has done. I've actually got it in my itunes library.

"We welcome you to that future. We welcome you to Sea Base Alpha..." Gave me chills as a kid. Bittersweet, though, as it underscores the tragic murder of EPCOT's Future World.
    I remember feeling like we really went under WDW and that we were at this ocean base. It was magical.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

"...the deluge."
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• and too all a good fright

oh hydrolators, how I miss you.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    "...the deluge."
    "..And it rained, and rained, and rained, and rained..."

Yes, WDW films will never be that creative or funny.

Quote Originally Posted by flotsam_mike
    Oh well, you can ride the terravators at TDSea' JTTCOTE ride.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by flotsam_mike View Post
    In the end it was in such a poor state. The Hydrolators had ripped rock walls, the boarded up attraction, they didn't hold you for the show, it was just depressing.

At least with the remodel people visit and enjoy the attraction again.

• Super Old Guy

Ahh, but when it was all working correctly, when the doors to the hydrolators opened at exactly the right moment, well that was just a magically perfect moment in storytelling. The movie was riveting, and the hydrolators really added to the illusion of going down into a deep under sea lab. I don't mind the Nemo stuff as much as miss this entryway into the pavilion.

• and too all a good fright

Thankfully my 1st(& last) visit as a kid and my first visit as an adult were spaced far enough apart that I never got to see the decline.

• Disney Memory Maker

Ummm.... Sea Base Alpha was just about as 'real' as Nemo is. With The Seas, you had to wait in line, wait in a 'holding area' (where literally nothing was going on), sit though a horribly sarcastic video (not that I didn't like it) and sit through a boring slow-moving ride (that didn't show you anything you couldn't see in the main viewing areas), not to mention wait for the next hydrolator every time you wanted to go into the attraction. That's a good 20-30 minute process just to get inside the building (and another 5 minute process to leave).

Sea Base Alpha was based on reality just as much Finding Nemo is based on reality. At least with the Nemo attraction you are not forced to ride it, you are not forced to wait to get inside and outside the building and the ride itself is an actual attraction that contains things you can't see in the aquarium.

Yes, Sea Base Alpha may have been based on (pseudo) science... but Finding Nemo (talking and songs aside) is based on reality.

Just my 2 cents though
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• All-American

Generally I'd be much more okay with Nemo if it they just hadn't removed the Hydrolators. The illusion that you had gone deep underwater was such a magical one, and without it Seabase feels like a pointless shell of its former self.

That said, I'm with the OP.

• Super Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    With The Seas, you had to wait in line, wait in a 'holding area' (where literally nothing was going on), sit though a horribly sarcastic video (not that I didn't like it) and sit through a boring slow-moving ride (that didn't show you anything you couldn't see in the main viewing areas), not to mention wait for the next hydrolator every time you wanted to go into the attraction.
    Wow - I would have thought you would have enjoyed the show elements of it all, Mikey! I agree that the holding area was pretty boring. But I never saw even the slightest indication of horribly sarcastic tone in the main movie. And I loved both the hydrolators and the ride vehicles - they really gave you the sense that you were arriving at someplace isolated, someplace special. Now when you can just open up a door and walk in, it's not nearly so special, IMO.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    But I never saw even the slightest indication of horribly sarcastic tone in the main movie.
    Really? "And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge." "And then that cloud covered planet waits ... and waits .... and waits." " All hydrolators pressurized and prepared for boarding." Okay... maybe sarcastic was the wrong word. Let me change that to horribly cheesy and horribly 80s.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast