Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Disney World moments that made you forget the world existed and took your breath away

Ok here is a fun way to share our awesome Walt Disney World memories. Basically as the title said, what are some of your Walt Disney World memories that truly took your breath away, and made you forget that there was an outside world.

The first one I will share...

I had just started the Walt Disney World College program, was a young buck straight from Idaho. I was at the hub with some people I met at Traditions, (people who are now my best friends in the whole world) and I saw Wishes for the first time.

The entire world disappeared for those 15 mins, I felt like I was a part of something truly magical. I teared up at the finale, and had a "Disney High" for weeks. Even to this day, when I listen to the Wishes soundtrack or see the show I can't help but get a bit choked up in the end.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Disney World moments that made you forget the world existed and took your breath

Watching Spectromagic for the very first time. I was standing on Main Street with my husband and grandson as the parade came down the street. I had no prior knowledge of anything about the parade. I remember watching it. I was enjoying the music, and the colors, and just the whole energy of it. I was also trying to stay hold of my 4 year old grandson, who was on the top of a nearby trash can, so he could see. As the parade was coming to a close, I heard the voice of Jiminy Cricket. Now that definitely got my attention. I absolutely love Jiminy Cricket, and I had no idea that he was the last character in that parade. I remember my surprise. I am sure that if a camera had been pointed in my direction, my mouth was surely open. Even now as I tell the story, I remember the magic of that moment.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• secure all cargo

Re: Disney World moments that made you forget the world existed and took your breath

I bought this attraction photo of me on Dinosaur. I believe the photo is taken at the point where the carnotasaurus standing up suddenly lounges at your car. I look like a little kid having the time of my life, and my wife and friends tell me they've never seen me look so happy. So maybe that was one moment.

• Banned User

Eric, you were a young buck back then???
    Hahahaha!!!

Anyways.. I will bite into this "please love the MK at any cost" attempt of a thread..

I guess I can honestly say I have not had one of those "forget the real world moments" since like.. 1998?

But yes, memorable moments that I will always cherish...
    - First time I saw Cinderella Castle.. from the monorail. (1972)
    - First time I rode Space Mt. (1975)
    - Bicentennial celebration (July 4th 1976)
    - Tencennial celebration day and fireworks (first time I saw perimeter pyro as well) (Oct 1st, 1981)
    - Being opening crew at EPCOT (Oct 1st 1982)
    -Attending D/MGM Studios grand opening (May 1989)
    -My first balloon drop over Main Street (Oct 1st, 1991)
    -Attending DAK on opening day (1998 I believe?)
    .... can't think of any others...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Eric, you were a young buck back then???
    Hahahaha!!!

Anyways.. I will bite into this "please love the MK at any cost" attempt of a thread..

I guess I can honestly say I have not had one of those "forget the real world moments" since like.. 1998?

But yes, memorable moments that I will always cherish...
    - First time I saw Cinderella Castle.. from the monorail. (1972)
    - First time I rode Space Mt. (1975)
    - Bicentennial celebration (July 4th 1976)
    - Tencennial celebration day and fireworks (first time I saw perimeter pyro as well) (Oct 1st, 1981)
    - Being opening crew at EPCOT (Oct 1st 1982)
    -Attending D/MGM Studios grand opening (May 1989)
    -My first balloon drop over Main Street (Oct 1st, 1991)
    -Attending DAK on opening day (1998 I believe?)
    .... can't think of any others...
    Awe thanks TDLFAN those sounds like such great memories. I want to hear more about each one.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

My 2nd one. It was my senior vacation after High School I was nannying a group of wealthy kids on a ''free'' trip to WDW.

I got there a day early, so I could do the big rides before I had to attend to a group of kids for a week. I went to Animal Kingdom and spent the day by myself. It was the year 2000, and the park was still brand new. I just remember feeling like I was lost in a jungle. I saw Tarzan 2 times that day, and I saw Festival of the Lion King, and it gave me chills. I felt like I was in another world, this magic jungle.

• Banned User

That ^^^ is exactly how I feel when I am in HKDL's Adventureland. Lush jungle setting, which is a more convincing illusion by the backdrop mountains of Lantau Island. Plus a Lion King show that totally improves on the DAK version of the same show. Well.. anyone who has seem my photo reports from there can testify to this.

• Seasick

With my family, in 1990 or so. My brother was just three or four years old. We waited several hours for front-row spots for the Electrical parade.

His reaction was amazing. He was far more interesting to watch than the parade itself. Just total and utter excitement, amazement, and happiness. Was a true Disney magic moment.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• and too all a good fright

The first time I went to WDW as an adult was after I had taken a grad school class on Disney Parks and popular culture. My partner and I visited Epcot and MGM. He had a conference to go to the next day and I was debating about going to the MK by myself or lounge by the pool. I was a little wary of going alone, but in the interest of academia I went. Within the first minute, any pretense of making an academic study was gone and I was 5 again. At the end of the night I was on the boat home across the seven seas lagoon as the fireworks began and When you wish upon a star was playing. I don't think I have ever been so in that disney moment.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

My family's dynamic changed in 1974. My father passed away after a horridly long illness. My mother, now single and alone, was left with her two boys and enough willpower to keep us. Single parenting wasn't really in vogue back than. Forces that existed tried to break our small family apart pretty much immediately. Dad died in May of that year, sadly, on Memorial Day.

Ma took what cash she had and flew us down to Florida to see Disney World. I have flitting memories of my father, a few bad, a few good, but very small now due to the passage of time. I was only four, so who could blame me. My mother kept saying, "remember these moments" during the whole time period.

And, as a four-year-old, I did as I was told. I held on tight to memories. I'd already spent 1/4 of my short life in the hospital visiting Dad. All of those memories from this day onwards would have those clean, crisp white walls.

We arrived at Disney and Ma got us on the ferry. We were more comfortable there anyways, I suppose, since we were raised just outside of Port Jefferson. The trees were smaller then. See? I do remember that. I remember the smells on Main Street. I remember the feeling of being scared as hell at both the Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain--heck, was it even open then?

But I remember that my father's painful illness was not part of the trip. For one week, that world had faded and I DO remember that.

Disney World had done its job. For one brief time, the world I had been experienced stopped.

I like to think that's why I like it so much now.

Peace!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

AWWWWWWW Roo you brought a tear to my eye! HUGS! I love everyone's stories.

• Forgotten Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by RooBear View Post
    My family's dynamic changed in 1974. My father passed away after a horridly long illness. My mother, now single and alone, was left with her two boys and enough willpower to keep us. Single parenting wasn't really in vogue back than. Forces that existed tried to break our small family apart pretty much immediately. Dad died in May of that year, sadly, on Memorial Day.

Ma took what cash she had and flew us down to Florida to see Disney World. I have flitting memories of my father, a few bad, a few good, but very small now due to the passage of time. I was only four, so who could blame me. My mother kept saying, "remember these moments" during the whole time period.

And, as a four-year-old, I did as I was told. I held on tight to memories. I'd already spent 1/4 of my short life in the hospital visiting Dad. All of those memories from this day onwards would have those clean, crisp white walls.

We arrived at Disney and Ma got us on the ferry. We were more comfortable there anyways, I suppose, since we were raised just outside of Port Jefferson. The trees were smaller then. See? I do remember that. I remember the smells on Main Street. I remember the feeling of being scared as hell at both the Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain--heck, was it even open then?

But I remember that my father's painful illness was not part of the trip. For one week, that world had faded and I DO remember that.

Disney World had done its job. For one brief time, the world I had been experienced stopped.

I like to think that's why I like it so much now.

Peace!
    Roo
    Aww, D': im sorry about your dad :C

I used to lay on the floor of my grandmothers house in front of the tv on sunday nights, my chin in the palms of my hands and elbows on the floor.
    Walt would come on his tv show. He would talk on some of these shows about Disneyland. All the cool things that where there, Adventureland and Frontierland and all the other cool stuff.
    My parents were divorced and I didn't get that chance to visit the park as a kid.
    When my wife and I discussed our wedding and honeymoon plans way back in 86 I insisted on a honeymoon in WDW.
    The moment I saw that castle at the end of main street... well you all know the feeling. I was 6 again. The fireworks and music over the castle live and in person was just like on tv with Walt.
    When we left the park for the last time on that trip I kept looking back over my shoulder at Cinderella Castle.
    I still get that feeling at different times and places in the park. I love the entrance in the Castle de morro POTC where the older version music starts playing. Oh and how about the organ music up in the Swiss Family Tree House and the drum beats of the tiki gods out in the plaza and,..................,
    Thanks Walt for having a vision and sticktoittivness. Thanks Roy for being by his side.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

When I first visited E.P.C.O.T. as a child I don't even remember how old I was and seeing the fireworks show for the first time, sitting on top of my Dad's shoulders I remember my Mouth being agape the entire time I was so amazed, that combined with just enjoying the time with my dad(he was active duty at the time and I saw only now and then) combined into this feeling that never left me, to this day I always hold the fireworks display at EPCOT with such reverence it's almost like I'm seeing the best the world has to offer, with the lights lighting up the various countries pavilions to the laser show to the actual fireworks, that display still has that mouth-agape result that takes me back to that moment, it's amazes me..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    That ^^^ is exactly how I feel when I am in HKDL's Adventureland. Lush jungle setting, which is a more convincing illusion by the backdrop mountains of Lantau Island. Plus a Lion King show that totally improves on the DAK version of the same show. Well.. anyone who has seem my photo reports from there can testify to this.
    Improves on the DAK show? You do know that the DAK Lion King show is voted the best show on ALL Disney property HKDL included.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast