• The Study of Wumbo

Haunted Mansion: Should there be exterior music?

This has been discussed on the Doombuggies forum before, and I thought it was an interesting debate.

Since 2007, The Haunted Mansion in Liberty Square has been playing some new exterior ambient music in the area around the house and in the queue. Variations on "Grim, Grinning Ghosts," as heard in the ride. It appears that a couple of tracks are played: Phantom Manor's ballroom organ (or piano? Not sure,) and the Doombuggies loading music. Originally, the only exterior audio one would hear was the wolf's howl. Now you hear entire soundtracks while standing in Liberty Square.

What I had to say about it:

I thought I was hearing the Phantom Manor Piano music one time. It didn't sound like the HM Piano interpretation. I also know I heard the bells+wind+flute(?) load track. When I was down in August, I didn't hear the wolf that much. I thought I heard it one time from a distance, but I couldn't be sure. How often does it play? Didn't it used to be more often?

But I don't really like the addition of outside music. It goes against the original idea of the attraction that the music you hear could be physically there: the organ in the ballroom, the wind and chimes, the band in the graveyard. It's not supposed to be like the (fantastic) cinematic score of Phantom Manor. And now, there is certainly not a piano or organ in the little stable. Also, now the once contained ghost environment within the Mansion has been let out, and you are being exposed to what's inside before you enter the doors. It lacks the suspense, maybe?
    What do you think? Do you like the outside music? What should the Imagineers do in that area for audio?
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 09-19-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Link to non partner site removed per board policy
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Re: Haunted Mansion: Should there be exterior music?

I'm a bit biased because I adored PM, so I loved the outdoor theming and accompanying music. At my HM, however, it always seems weird that the music can be heard through speakers in the old Keel Boats dock as you pass the front gate. The focus should be on what's inside the attraction, so if there is any sound or music, it should be coming from within or directing our attention to the facade.

Of course, I'd also like to see more done with the facade/outdoor queue as far as theming. At PM, I really felt like I was wandering through the gardens of some seriously creepy, definitely haunted house on a hill. At WDW HM, I feel like I'm about to go ding-dong-ditch Old Man Jenkins.
    Where hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls...Whenever candle lights flicker, where the air is deathly still...That is the time when ghosts are present

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

well it's either music or listening to people with boston accents talk about how wicked cool the boat looks on the river.

I say no music.
    I'd rather the wolf/dog howl be brought back to its original volume, but not as frequent (maybe every 10 minutes or something).

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    well it's either music or listening to people with boston accents talk about how wicked cool the boat looks on the river.
    Who's doing that?
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• and too all a good fright

No music. I think it works for DLP because there is a more atmospheric queue where it adds mood and enhances the theme. It seems somewhat flat in WDW.

I agree, Flotsam. I think just the wolf howl, maybe a few subtle sound effects here and there for atmospheric enhancement, but otherwise, ditch the music.
    Where hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls...Whenever candle lights flicker, where the air is deathly still...That is the time when ghosts are present

• Shubisha

I like your point of view on the matter, but to make it even worse you don't even hear that music while you're in line so much it's only down by where you first enter the line and pass through the gates. The majority of the queue is in silence... so.. what was the point?

Hearing Haunted Mansion music/sounds outside of the mansion seems very... out of place to me. I guess this kind of goes back to the DL HM vs MK HM debate from a while ago. I like the idea that the HM is just a place you go and visit, and from the outside it doesn't look like anything is necessarily amiss... and then once you get inside, you realize how wrong you were.

Having music/sounds not only outside the mansion but also just ambient in Liberty Square seems to fly right in the face of that, and doesn't really fit with my vision of what the HM should be. It's like going to Pirates and hearing the skull tell you that dead men tell no tales while you're still in the queue o_O

Totally my opinion, and I do realize I am a bit overbearing when it comes to theme/show violations, haha.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

Hmm...

Guys I didn't notice at all. Didn't notice the music, didn't notice any decrease in the howling.

Which leads me to say they should ditch it, because apparently the people who do notice it don't want it!

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

I like the music idea. They should play something here and there. Maybe it'll make the line feel like it's moving faster. But just for the atmosphere alone, I think music is a great idea.

• The Study of Wumbo

I think if they were going to play anything, they could play the howls and the wind sound effects of "Grim, Grinning Ghosts." That would be better. And especially don't play music from Phantom Manor!
    -Hale (wumbology)