View Poll Results: Should Disney build its own luxury resort?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 33.33%
  • No

3 12.50%
  • I thought the Grand Floridian already fits this

13 54.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Nutty about Disney parks

Should Disney build its own luxury resort?

This is a topic that always interested me so I wanna know your thoughts. Do you think the Grand Floridian suffices well as the "luxury" resort on Disney property or should Disney attempt something that could rival the Ritz Carlton or the Four Seasons and make it a resort that you have to uber rich to stay in?

I think it would be an interesting project for Disney to take on.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Should Disney build its own luxury resort?

I am going to give my professional opinion. Knowing what I know about the Orlando market there is already suffiencent number of rooms currently on the market the fit the Luxury bill
    1. JW Marriot
    2. Ritz
    3. Shingle Creek
    4. Omni
    5. Peabody
    6. The Grand Bohemian
    7. The Waldorf
    8. The Four Seasons (not open yet)

Then there are the resorts that offer the almost luxury
    1. The Grand Floridian
    2. Portifino Bay
    3. The Gaylord Palms
    4. The Swan
    5. The Dolphin

Then there are those that are nice, and priced near luxury but don't have all the amenities.
    1. The Contemporary
    2. The Polynesian
    3. The BoardWalk
    4. The Yatch and Beach Club
    5. Wilderness Lodge
    6. Animal Kingdom Lodge
    7. Hard Rock Hotel
    8. Pacific Bay Hotel
    9. The Marriott World Center
    10. The Hilton Bonnett Creek
    11. The Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress

But looking at what is now directly on Disney Property which is the Waldorf, the Four Seasons, the Hilton Bonnett Creek, and the fact that a lot of the money that would support such resorts has not been seeing a real increase there isn't demand to justify another large deluxe property.

Hence you see the Animation Resort getting built. If you see any addition to the Luxury room inventor at WDW, it will be a DVC wing at the Grand.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've stayed at Shingle Creek (paid for by work, no way I could afford that place myself) and it definitely a mega luxury hotel. And it's HUGE!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Not to mention the Peabody is opening their new tower, and shingle creek is going to add 500 villas.

• Sock Puppet

A Four Seasons Resort is being built on WDW property, it is going to be the first 5 Star resort on Disney Property.

P.S. I dont see how you can call the Swan and Dolphin Luxury....but that is my opinion

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Pixar for the win View Post
    A Four Seasons Resort is being built on WDW property, it is going to be the first 5 Star resort on Disney Property.

P.S. I dont see how you can call the Swan and Dolphin Luxury....but that is my opinion
    Just going by industry standards, and amenities offered in the hotel, theme and brand loyalty was not taken into account.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Just going by industry standards, and amenities offered in the hotel, theme and brand loyalty was not taken into account.
    No offense but if you go by industry standards and star and diamond ratings the Yacht and Beach, Polynesian, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Boardwalk all rate higher and more luxury than Swan and Dolphin.

Travel magazines rank Animal Kingdom Lodge, Yacht and Beach, Polynesian and Grand Floridian as some of the best resorts in the world...just saying....i am a hospitality insider....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

No offense but if you go by industry standards and star and diamond ratings the Yacht and Beach, Polynesian, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Boardwalk all rate higher and more luxury than Swan and Dolphin.

Travel magazines rank Animal Kingdom Lodge, Yacht and Beach, Polynesian and Grand Floridian as some of the best resorts in the world...just saying....i am a hospitality insider....
    Well hospitality insider you should know then that DAK Lodge Y&B and the Poly would need their own spa inorder to actually rank higher. Not to mention the rooms have been refreshed more often.

I am not saying that the Disney Deluxe hotels are bad, or anything, there are just other hotels in the area that offer more amenities are are industry standard, and are required for higher rankings in the AAA diamond scale.

Please Hospitality insider feel free to review the criteria that they rate on at http://www.aaanewsroom.net/Assets/Fi...linesDec08.pdf

• Sock Puppet

Well hospitality insider you should know then that DAK Lodge Y&B and the Poly would need their own spa inorder to actually rank higher. Not to mention the rooms have been refreshed more often.

I am not saying that the Disney Deluxe hotels are bad, or anything, there are just other hotels in the area that offer more amenities are are industry standard, and are required for higher rankings in the AAA diamond scale.

Please Hospitality insider feel free to review the criteria that they rate on at http://www.aaanewsroom.net/Assets/Fi...linesDec08.pdf
    Well all four are considered 4 diamond resorts while Swan and Dolphin is only a 3 diamond...

So please try again....

Oh and technically Poly has a spa...it is shared with the Grand Floridian....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Well all four are considered 4 diamond resorts while Swan and Dolphin is only a 3 diamond...

So please try again....

Oh and technically Poly has a spa...it is shared with the Grand Floridian....
    Nope, wrong again. The Swan is 4 the Dolphin is 3
    http://ww1.aaa.com/travel2/hotel/hot...ngRunning=true

but thank you again for your insider insight.

• Sock Puppet

LOL, i thought Swan and Dolphin were better than Poly and Yacht and Beach yet they are 4 diamond......

thank you again for showing you dont know what you are talking about....

please try again....oh wait i forgot you still think that Poly lack amenities and is not a 4 diamond resort...or the yacht and beach yet they are 4 diamond and are ranked by Conte Nostre magazine....you sure know what you are talking about....wait no you dont....

• Sock Puppet

P.S. use a link that works....this one does not.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I have no desire to be combative. As I was not combative in my posts (until the final on ;-) )

Here is a link the the Swan The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort - Orlando Meetings, Florida

I never said that they were not 4 diamonds. They just don't have all the amenities that the others have. If you will review the rating criteria for 4 diamonds you will see that there is a lot of fluctuation in the amenities category.
    The Contemporary
    The Yatch
    The Beach Club
    The BoardWalk
    The Poly
    All offer pretty much the minimum requirements for a 4 diamond. Back in 04 (if you were at the leadership summit at the Contemporary) you will remember how even Michael Eisner talked about soft upgrades that won't make us (the WDC) money but will keep disney in line with the standards. These were all things that had been in hotels for years, but Disney was just barely adding to just keep pace.

The Grand for instance can't be a 5 diamond hotel because their rooms were built too small to match current industry standards for 5 diamond rooms.

Please take a chill pill.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

ranked by Conte Nostre magazine....you sure know what you are talking about....wait no you dont....

And it is Condé Nast.

• Sock Puppet

I have no desire to be combative. As I was not combative in my posts (until the final on ;-) )

Here is a link the the Swan The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort - Orlando Meetings, Florida

I never said that they were not 4 diamonds. They just don't have all the amenities that the others have. If you will review the rating criteria for 4 diamonds you will see that there is a lot of fluctuation in the amenities category.
    The Contemporary
    The Yatch
    The Beach Club
    The BoardWalk
    The Poly
    All offer pretty much the minimum requirements for a 4 diamond. Back in 04 (if you were at the leadership summit at the Contemporary) you will remember how even Michael Eisner talked about soft upgrades that won't make us (the WDC) money but will keep disney in line with the standards. These were all things that had been in hotels for years, but Disney was just barely adding to just keep pace.

The Grand for instance can't be a 5 diamond hotel because their rooms were built too small to match current industry standards for 5 diamond rooms.

Please take a chill pill.

For some reason that link said timed out, but i did find that page so you were correct about the Swan....

Its the same thing that is holding the WDW resorts back from being Five Star resorts...they dont have their own golf courses, they dont have both a shower and a bath tub, they dont have a telephone in the bathroom, they dont have a fax machine in the rooms....all stupid things in my professional opinion that i would not have on my list if i rated rooms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast