Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Kevin's Rumor about Park 5

Kevin Yee recently wrote about Park 5 at Walt Disney World....

Any other news out there on the web or otherwise???

Re: Kevin's Rumor about Park 5

Despite what Kevin wrote -- and he's quite right about a considerable amount of land being cleared -- don't look for a fifth gate anytime soon.

It just isn't in the cards. WDW has been feeling the effects of cannibalization since the Disney-MGM Studios opened and it got much worse with DAK.

They may be clearing land for more timeshares or even tacky Pop Century type 'resorts' but a new park just ain't gonna happen and I am glad. They can't take care of the parks they have and add new things, so why on earth would any sane person want them to open another?

• MiceAge Columnist

Yup.

Despite my own article, I'm actually pretty pessimistic about our odds of a fifth park myself. I was just pointing out the possibility, not the likelihood of another park. I believe the cannibalization to be quite real.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Banned User

Can't reist this one..

It will be Called Disney's Many Flags Adventure.. LOL

Ok.. I'm done...

• Huh?

Jim Hill wrote about this today... he's saying the same thing and his explanations whyfornot sounds pretty in line with what's probably going on.
    -Tim

• They wanna know, HO!

I have a source (who when trying to talk on message boards just leaves in frustration over the idiots who post things like 'HARRY POTTER WOULD BE AWSOME!') who says that no fifth park is currently in the works, and that (here's my favorite) no idea to build a land or park based on Disney villans has EVER happened. AT ALL.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Banned User

I'm agreeing on this... No new theme parks will emerge. A Downtown Disney re-development project is underway right now, and when that is complete, it will be like a 5th theme park. I'm finding it hard that no one is really paying much attention to this project that is going to shutter Pleasure Island. Oh well, you'll all figure it out soon enough I suppose.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by testtrack321
    I have a source (who when trying to talk on message boards just leaves in frustration over the idiots who post things like 'HARRY POTTER WOULD BE AWSOME!') who says that no fifth park is currently in the works, and that (here's my favorite) no idea to build a land or park based on Disney villans has EVER happened. AT ALL.
    Umm, your source doesn't know then... a land based on the Villains WAS indeed talked about for an almost endless amont of hours. I'm really kinda sorry... but there was a lot of talk on that subject for a long period of time.

There are no plans to build a new fifth theme park. Rather Disney plans to redo some areas that already exist into something bigger and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    A Downtown Disney re-development project is underway right now, and when that is complete, it will be like a 5th theme park. I'm finding it hard that no one is really paying much attention to this project that is going to shutter Pleasure Island. Oh well, you'll all figure it out soon enough I suppose.
    Bill I have been trying to get more information without much luck. Do you have any further information on what is actually going on. All I keep hearing is that they want to make it more upscale to compete with Vegas for more of the convention crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    A Downtown Disney re-development project is underway right now, and when that is complete, it will be like a 5th theme park. I'm finding it hard that no one is really paying much attention to this project that is going to shutter Pleasure Island. Oh well, you'll all figure it out soon enough I suppose.
    Bill I have been trying to get more information without much luck. Do you have any further information on what is actually going on? All I keep hearing is that they want to make it more upscale to compete with Vegas for more of the convention crowd. It seems all anyone cares about is the Adventure Club when this topic comes up, but I'm really more interested in the overall plan. I know it encompasses the entire Downtown Disney area. Not just PI. Do you have any information?

Woops I double posted some how. Sorry about that.

• Banned User

I've kind of been told not to go into the nitty gritty details on this... just know that Disney wants all of Downtown Disney to be one area... not three different districts that exist today. From what I've heard, when all is said and done, Pleasure Island will not exist. It will all just be Downtown Disney. And a main walkway will be created. (like the one that exists in West Side... it will be extended all the way down through the marketplace)

Expect some new boardwalks here and there along the water.

Keep this in mind... New Year's Eve at PI is overwith this year. A replacement is in the works for all of Downtown Disney. And fireworks are the cheapest kind of show per person.

That should give you an idea of what the plans are. And btw, MousePlanet wasn't entirely wrong in what they printed the other week. No, I'm not saying that the Adventurer's Club is going anywhere, but you can expect some major changes in PI, and MousePlanet wasn't entirley wrong. PI is getting a makeover for almost every facade to get rid of the converted cannery feel that PI has. And the new Pub went in first... it's not the last. If you know about the pub, you know it's a contracted restaurant.

Knowing this, and the fact that Reedy Creek approved a parking structure recently... just imagine what can be done.

Ask yourself what you'd pay to go to Downtown Disney... would you pay for parking? If you're staying at a resort, you wouldn't need to pay anyway.

Downtown Disney's Free Parking created a problem... people would park there, then take a bus to the parks to avoid the parking fees at the theme park lots. That was solved by stopping bus transport to and from Downtown Disney... but that also cut out the daily theme park visitor from going to Downtown Disney... not to mention the RESORT GUESTS. Currently, a resort guest has to go back to their resort before they can get to Downtown Disney... hmmm...

Transportation will become a big part of this project. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... this project can fund new forms of transportation in WDW if done properly.

I left a lot of open ended questions... because frankly, I don't know the answers. But I know the key points of this project...

The best advice I can give is to look at it from a moneywise standpoint, and the problems that the WDW Resort has, and I think you'll find the solution to what is going on.

Bill do you have any idea when Disney plans on announcing the project to the puiblic, since it is rumored to begin early next year.

• Banned User

if it is DTD.. dismney might not announce a "project" just maybe deals with outher coperations fotr sho0ps and resturants and clubs...

whats easier.. making an announcement about redesigning DTD.. or individuals once they sign on...

interesting.. I havn't read about permit approval for parking structure.. (goes on reedy creek website..)

Disney addressed the problem with people parking for free in California -- it's only free if you're there for less than four hours (if I remember correctly,) and then you have to pay. And they could always implement some sort of validation system. I have the feeling that the current contracted restaurant operators will be none to happy if Disney decides to charge for parking there; it could reduce the number of people who decide to come.

(Fun fact: The lease that Planet Hollywood has with Disney is almost 300 pages long.)

I'm not surprised to read that Disney is planning on concentrating on the parks they already have. AK will be fine -- as time goes by they'll continue to add things, and the place is beautiful to begin with. Disney-MGM does well despite its identity crisis -- when you think about it, all of the marquee attractions are based on entertainment franchises that people don't historically associate with Disney: Star Wars, the Muppets, Indiana Jones, Twilight Zone, Millionaire, the mish-mash inside GMR, etc. Add to that the fact that almost everybody just calls the place MGM anyway and you start to understand why they plunked a giant Mickey hat down in front of the Chinese Theater.

Epcot and the Magic Kingdom, that's different. I really wonder how long they'll continue to go with the Future World concept as we know it, and when ghetto-chic architecture will go out of style at the MK.

---rbp

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

WDW honestly needs to work on improving it's parks right now... Not buliding a new one

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast