Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

EPCOT: New Intl Pavilions?

My understanding unless a foreign government or corporation agrees to sponsor a pavilion, DisneyWorld does not develop new international showcase pavilions...

I know over the years a number of countries have been discussed, does anyone know if any are in development currently?

I don't think any new attractions or pavilions have gone in since Norway in 1990ish.

Re: EPCOT: New Intl Pavilions?

^^^That's all correct. Norway was the last and it opened in 1988.

At various times there have been designs/plans for pavillions representing Spain, Equitorial Africa, Israel, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Russia, Switzerland and, yes, believe it or not, Iran.

Disney has expansion pads available right now for at least six countries without having to remove/move anything.

But they won't build anything without a government and or corporate entity putting the bucks up.

The only serious talk I've heard in the last 10 years was about 18 months ago there were some rumors about Spain again, but that seemed to fizzle and go no where.

Sad.
    Last edited by WDW1974; 11-14-2005 at 11:40 PM.

^I wonder how much money Disney requires from the countries.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Depends. A ride costs more. Tourism movies (such as Norway's) are the sole responsibility of the country. The more land they want costs more, and I'm willing to be right now (Pressler is gone....I still don't get why he wanted to build Austrailia without any rides) they will want a new country to be more marketable with a new ride.

Yeah I remember that Spain rumor. Started by Spain themselves.

• Banned User

Being that Norway and Morocco are the only two countries that actually bought into the World Showcase concept, I wouldn't expect much for quite a while. Though Mexico has been wanting to get more involved with the Mexico pavilion for a while now...

• Former Epcot CM

I would love a UK expansion, maybe at the back of the pavilion near the gardens, for Scotland and N. Ireland. England is too overly represented to call the pavilion the 'United Kingdom' pavilion.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Disney Memory Maker

A while back (I believe it was part of the Disney Decade), Russia was supposed to have a pavillion. This pavilion was to be extremely beautiful (concept art can be found somewhere on JimHillMedia.com). Unfortunately, I believe the company who was going to fund it didn't want to (or maybe it was Russia who didn't want to). Anyway, I think a new country would be great (or even a ride addition to one of the current countries).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    A while back (I believe it was part of the Disney Decade), Russia was supposed to have a pavillion. This pavilion was to be extremely beautiful (concept art can be found somewhere on JimHillMedia.com). Unfortunately, I believe the company who was going to fund it didn't want to (or maybe it was Russia who didn't want to). Anyway, I think a new country would be great (or even a ride addition to one of the current countries).

-Michael
    There were also plans for Israel (finally got a chance to exhibit in Millennium Village), Sweeden, and Africa.

Rumors of Spain were floating around a few years ago, with some sort of "formal announcement" any day. Never happened.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Artwork and concept models were built of all the countries I listed. Russia was absolutely stunning ... I think I have some concept art in one of the Disney Co. Annual Reports from the early 90s. It included a multi-media show/attractions called (I believe) The Bells of Time.

Spain was first proposed when EC opened. There was even a coming soon sign for it for 1-2 years ... as were signs for Israel and Africa.

The most recent Spain rumors spun out of a large exhibit at the Food and Wine Festival a few years back ... I do beleive there were discussions with Disney but they likely didn't go very far.

It's a shame. World Showcase was designed with the idea of constant expansion.

Of course, even the countries that exist weren't really completed. Germany was supposed to feature a Rhine River Ride past miniature scenes of the country. The show building actually exists. It's hidden behind the wall you see to the right of the Biergarten. I believe it has been used for storage, offices and musical rehearsals.

Italy was supposed to get an expansion that included recreations of ancient Roman ruins.

Japan was supposed to get a version of TDL's Meet the World AA Carousel show. Again, a show building does exist.

Later on, Japan was slated for a Mt. Fuji thrill ride (and NO it wasn't because of Fuji Film and Kodak that it wasn't built ... if I hear that crazy Internet urban myth one more time, I'm gonna start burning Pooh plush!).

Those are just some of the things I can think of at this late/early hour off-hand, but there were other examples.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

World Showcase has definitely stagnated...there needs to be something new.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Depends. A ride costs more. Tourism movies (such as Norway's) are the sole responsibility of the country.
    No wonder Norway's movie is horrible, they really need to update that thing. It was cheesy, freaky and wayyyy outdated. LOL

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    No wonder Norway's movie is horrible, they really need to update that thing. It was cheesy, freaky and wayyyy outdated. LOL
    And that was when it was new!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    I couldn't disagree more - i LOVE this movie! I don't think there's been more than once or twice over the years where I've skipped past it, and then it was only because I was late for something. The only thing I don't like is being held captive in the fishing village!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Ha ha waiting in line to get off the ride? Classic.

There was to be a Costa Rica too...don't know if that was mentioned.

• The one, the only...

Right now the international showcase is just restaurant alley. I don't mind that. I enjoy the variety. But without a new ride, a new country really needs attractive food to Americans to get traffic.

Russia -- Great idea! Exotic but still acceptable food.

Costa Rica -- Forget about it. Food would not be attractive.

Greece -- This is my suggestion. Great food and exotic as well.

Thailand -- What a pavilion this country would have. Great food too.

Bottom line. If there are not already restaurants in this country that serve that type of food, then it is a waste of a space. Morocco has struggled to bring in visitors (even if I love the food!).
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast