View Poll Results: What would you retire permanantly at WDW??

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Auto Speedway at the MK parking lot.

7 9.09%
  • Under new management Tiky Birds show.

20 25.97%
  • Stitch's Great Escape.

41 53.25%
  • Mission: Space.

4 5.19%
  • DTD's West Side.

3 3.90%
  • Any of the value resort hotel.

2 2.60%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: What would you take out of WDW??

Quote Originally Posted by tdlfan View Post
    So I wonder what you would not mind seeing gone at WDW.
    TDO.

After that, everything's simple.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    If I had to pick only one thing, it would be the Swan & Dolphin. Not only because it's the least likely to ever happen, but also because all the other things listed can be repurposed or rethemed into something better. As long as those giant architectural abominations are left standing, all of Epcot suffers.
    Swan & Dolphin aren`t operated by Disney, though. All that could be done would be to make sure they`re out of view from Epcot visitors.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    What's wrong with Bay Lake Tower?
    It's the equivalent of the Projects in the Bronx, but for rich people.

Anyways.. thanks to those of you for participating.. So many things I did not think about when creating the Poll. Yes... OFF with the BAH!!!!

I would also remove Meg Crofton.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    What's wrong with Bay Lake Tower?
    It's interesting that one man's trash is another man's treasure... for instance, someone said they would take out Tom Sawyer Island because it hasn't changed since he/she was eight. TSI is the very last thing I would take out of WDW. I love it, as is (when Aunt Polly's is fully open).

So this is just one guy's opinion, but I loathe the Bay Lake Tower.

I'm sure it is nice on the inside and affords great views, but I see it is as the equivalent of someone moving into a nice coastal neighborhood of modest shingle houses and erecting some mammoth, hideous, post-modern mansion that affords the owner great beach views but damages the aesthetic for everybody else in town.

Design-wise, I find the BLT so bland, so middling, so pedestrian - you can find thousands of the same type of building in every city in America. I am looking out my window right now at 20+ Bay Lake Towers across the Hudson - recent-modern, glass-skinned, mid-rise residential towers/hotels. Maybe I'm a bit of an architectural snob, but I think Disney Resorts ought to represent something more unique than buildings you pass by every day of your life... They should strive to build resorts in the vein of The Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, French Quarter, Coronado, or Beach Club.

Bay Lake Tower would be passable in Jersey City, Miami, L.A. or Orlando, but to place it in on Bay Lake next to the iconic Contemporary - which it overshadows and does a poor-man's job at attempting to architecturally compliment - is heresy.

Not only does it make Bay Lake & Seven Seas Lagoon views that much more crowded and unsightly, but it can easily be seen from many vantages within the MK, including Liberty Square & the Hub - shattering the illusion.

So, there you have it: BLT - Fine in Bridgeport, CT. Nightmare next to the Contemporary
    Last edited by RandySavage; 10-07-2010 at 12:38 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    It's interesting that one man's trash is another man's treasure... for instance, someone said they would take out Tom Sawyer Island because it hasn't changed since he/she was eight. TSI is the very last thing I would take out of WDW. I love it, as is (when Aunt Polly's is fully open).

So this just one guy's opinion, but I loathe the Bay Lake Tower.

I'm sure it is nice on the inside and affords great views, but I see it is as the equivalent of someone moving into a nice coastal neighborhood of modest houses and erecting some mammoth, hideous post-modern mansion that affords the owner great beach views but damages the aesthetic for everybody else in town.

Design-wise, I find the BLT so bland, so middling, so pedestrian - you can find thousands of the same type of building in every city in America. I am looking out my window right now at 20+ Bay Lake Towers across the Hudson - recent modern, glass-skinned mid-rises residential towers/hotels. Maybe I'm a bit of an architectural snob, but I think Disney Resorts ought to represent something more unique than something you pass by every day of your life... things like The Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian or Beach Club.

Bay Lake Tower would be passable in Jersey City, Miami, L.A. or Orlando, but to place it in on Bay Lake next to the iconic Contemporary - which it overshadows and does a poor-man's job at attempting to architecturally compliment - is heresy.

Not only does it make Bay Lake & Seven Seas Lagoon that much more crowded and unsightly, but it can easily be seen from many vantages within the MK, including Liberty Square & the Hub.

So, there you have it. I don't like the building.
    Randy, i agree with you on this 250%. The tower is simply a monument to Disney Company's greed. It's all about the money they can make off the people who bought into those darned DVC memberships.
    As a former CM at the Contemporary... I detest it with a passion beyong belief. Ditto for the butt-ugly convention center that sits by the South annex building. The Tower has destroyed the dynamics of the Contemporary Hotel. Destroyed the open air views from bay Lake and the building itself is downright pedestrian and as commonplace as it gets. It's just sad sad. I want to see it burn down to the ground. That's how badly I dislike it. And the day it happens.. I will be there roasting marshmellows on it's remains.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    As a former CM at the Contemporary... I detest it with a passion beyong belief.
    What years did you work there and what did you do? My family always stayed there when we'd visit, maybe we've crossed paths and didn't know it. :P

• Golden State of Mind

Interesting take on BLT, I never thought of it that way.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    What years did you work there and what did you do? My family always stayed there when we'd visit, maybe we've crossed paths and didn't know it. :P
    I worked at the Contemporary from December 1984 till May 1985.. in the Lodging and Guest Services desks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
    I would take out TDO...

...Replace them with at LEAST TDA or TDHK(does the second even exist?)
    In Hong Kong we call it "Team D"

• Tonka's Skipper

Talking Re: What would you take out of WDW??

I have looked at BLT from every point of view I can think of....and I have to agree...........What was DVC thinking?????..its a bad location and a plain ugly design..........and I am a big DVC member!

Most of the ride noted are classics, but as others have said, many need a up grading......

I love the speedway......do it almost every trip

lastly I think the stitch attraction is just poorly done!

Just one ole ex deep water sailors view!

AKK

Regarding BLT, I`ve never been a fan of the Contemporary itself, even though I`ve never stayed there. It looked quite bland when riding with the monorail through it, and the Fantasia gift shop below the monorail station looks kinda tacky. It all reminded me more of a train station/airport (the monorail stopping in the middle, the standard shops, glass roof on the bottom level) with bland upper hotel floors than one of WDW`s highest classed resorts. It may look nicer deeper inside, but from the monorails perspective it just looks boring.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

You forgot to put "all of the above"

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Banned User

Actually, I forgot to add "Duffy" to the list of choices. I want him out of WDW and back in TDS where he belongs exclusively.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I worked at the Contemporary from December 1984 till May 1985.. in the Lodging and Guest Services desks.
    We stayed there May 1985, odds are against us but it would be funny to know if we ever crossed paths.

• Banned User

And if you ate at the Columbia Harbour House between dec 1981 and nov 1984.. chances are we did cross paths as well.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast