A little story....

Growing up, my parents gave me a toy. It was awesome, both high-tech and old-fashioned, something that everyone in the family enjoyed but for very different reasons. Everyone loved playing with that thing.

The company that made it put a guarantee on the box, right under the picture of the smiling founder, that said if anything EVER went wrong, send it back in and they'd fix it. There was a little word balloon coming out of the founder's mouth that said, "I guarantee you will love this forever!"

When I got too old for it, my parents put it away, keeping it in the box. Once every few years, we would pull it out of the box, play with it, and then we'd put it back after enjoying it for a while.

It stayed in the closet for years at a time, and fairly recently I went looking for it. When I found it, I discovered it had broken! Now, this had happened in the past, but I always just did what it said, and in no time I'd have a like-new item with a letter from the company thanking me for having been such a loyal customer.

Well, it turns out that since the last time I used the toy, the company had bee bought out by a big conglomerate. I sent the toy in requesting it be replaced, and a few days later I got a note back saying the company no longer repaired toys because it was not cost effective. They sent me back the broken toy and a coupon for a few dollars off their "latest model," which they assured me was much better.

I called the customer service number to find out if they had any ideas on how I could get a replacement of the original toy. They routed me to several different people, all of whom said that current consumers did not want the old toy, that they had a better model, that it was costing them an arm and a leg to do repairs, and that the guarantees of the original company and the founder were no longer enforceable by the "brand management" of the new company.

So, I just put the old, worn out, broken toy on my shelf, and I look at it occasionally and think back to how many years of wonderful enjoyment it brought me. Nothing will ever be quite like it, which the original company new -- so they always repaired and replaced it with the identical version, ensuring that all of their customers were happy all the time. I loved that toy.

Re: A little story....

May i ask what the toy is? and who the manufacturer is?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

That's sad. It's also sweet. I'm glad they sent you back your toy, and even though it's broken you still have wonderful memories of the fun that it has brought you over the years.

• Miss Snow White

I smell a metaphor......
    There's Always Room For a 1000.....Hurry Back

Quote Originally Posted by FairestOfThemAll View Post
    I smell a metaphor......

Maybe a simile? possibly personification of the toy.... hmmm..

• Minion

^haha not a simile we would know of "like" or "as" He's saying that the 'toy' is WDW parks. And the Manufacturer is the Disney Company. Now re read it with what i told you and it will make sense.

Or if thats not it I'm lost and have no idea why your posting here :]

• (Not a) New User

AHHHHH.... even though I'm from CA, I've been to WDW enough to know what he's talking about, and I completely agree. I miss old (but still fairly recent) WDW (*cough*epcot*coughcough**)

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

^ LOL yes. thank you.. i didnt get it at first.. makes alot more sense now, i saw it as literally a toy @_@rotfl

Sorry, all, I've been traveling for business today and just was able to check the boards now. Yes, indeed, it was an ... allegory. Alluding to Walt Disney World (or Epcot, or Disneyland, or ... take your choice) as the "toy."

Thanks for reading it.