College Internship...housekeeping?

I was accepted into the disney world college program as a housekeeper. I love Disney World and I have always dreamed of working there...but all I have heard from housekeeping are miserable reviews. I am torn. Has anyone else done the housekeeping internship or heard about it from friends? Help please!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: College Internship...housekeeping?

I had a lot of friends do it actually. 2 of my friends who did it, turned it into a Management Internship (they worked super hard and networked like mad) and they had the best schedules (almost all evenings free). Both of them ended up becoming statused managers at the end of their management internships.

well that makes me feel a better! i have read horror stories about it that really have me second guessing my decision to go. I know it will be hard work and a lot of hours, but reviews I've read say the managers are unreasonable and make you reclean rooms if a guest goes in for a minute and sits on the bed or uses the sink. The manager won't believe you cleaned the room at all and will lecture you and a whole crew goes around to inspect your work. I've read that housekeepers need to skip lunch breaks to complete the work on time because the amount of rooms is unreasonable. A girl said she went home crying every day because of the stress. I still don't know whether or not to believe it's that bad.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by k80bug View Post
    well that makes me feel a better! i have read horror stories about it that really have me second guessing my decision to go. I know it will be hard work and a lot of hours, but reviews I've read say the managers are unreasonable and make you reclean rooms if a guest goes in for a minute and sits on the bed or uses the sink. The manager won't believe you cleaned the room at all and will lecture you and a whole crew goes around to inspect your work. I've read that housekeepers need to skip lunch breaks to complete the work on time because the amount of rooms is unreasonable. A girl said she went home crying every day because of the stress. I still don't know whether or not to believe it's that bad.
    It is hard work, it deff is. But here is a culture in housekeeping that you don't get anywhere else. There is a lot more teamwork there.

That being said, you don't have to re-clean the entire room if a guest goes in, you just do what is a called a P/U Pick Up. You reinspect your work, and you touch up.

If you are at a deluxe property all your rooms will be inspected. Value your rooms will be spot checked. At a value you are responsible for 18 to 20 rooms if my memory serves me correct. That is a lot of work. But the CP is what you make of it. DO NOT FOCUS ON THE WORK. Focus on Networking, building relationships, and getting a Management Internship!

i have never been a housekeeping
    I am traveling now.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurIhde View Post
    i have never been a housekeeping
    quote of the day right here

• and too all a good fright

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    It is hard work, it deff is. But here is a culture in housekeeping that you don't get anywhere else. There is a lot more teamwork there.

That being said, you don't have to re-clean the entire room if a guest goes in, you just do what is a called a P/U Pick Up. You reinspect your work, and you touch up.

If you are at a deluxe property all your rooms will be inspected. Value your rooms will be spot checked. At a value you are responsible for 18 to 20 rooms if my memory serves me correct. That is a lot of work. But the CP is what you make of it. DO NOT FOCUS ON THE WORK. Focus on Networking, building relationships, and getting a Management Internship!
    Well said. Internships are what you make of them. Sure the task you are doing may not be a dream job, but the access to people you wouldn't normally have access to. Work it to your best advantage. At best you'll have some great contacts. At worst, you'll have some great stories and a long stay at WDW.

You meet a lot of great people from all over the world. That in itself is really rewarding.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003