Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Duffy at Downtown Disney?

Does anyone know if they sell Duffy at like Once Upon a Toy or World of Disney in DTD? I'm going to Orlando on Saturday and would love to pick one up if I can.

• MiceAge Columnist

Re: Duffy at Downtown Disney?

No, he's meant to be specific to Epcot.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

It seems Duffy has made his way to most shops that sell plush toys. He has little display at Once Upon a Toy and has been seen in shops at other parks as well. Seems the Duffy Machine is in full force.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Heck he is ever at the Airport.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Who's Duffy?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    No, he's meant to be specific to Epcot.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rowlf- View Post
    It seems Duffy has made his way to most shops that sell plush toys. He has little display at Once Upon a Toy and has been seen in shops at other parks as well. Seems the Duffy Machine is in full force.
    I know the walkaround character is exclusive to EPCOT. I just want to buy a plushy bear (well... 2 as my mom wants me to also pick one up for a little girl she babysits for a neighbor).

I remember hearing you could buy him at MK too, so that's why I was hoping he'd also be for sale at DTD as I have no need to go to the parks again for quite awhile.

I'm only going to be in Orlando for the afternoon on Saturday and I don't have an AP, so I can't just swing by EPCOT, go in and get them and leave. I'll just take my chances at DTD.

• MiceAge Columnist

Oh, you're right that the small plush is in all the stores - it should be a WoD too. The outfits and all, though, are only in Epcot as far as I can tell.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Banned User

Sorry Kevin, but they also sell the outfits (and bear0 at the Airport shop. I just saw them yesterday when I flew into town. However, while at DLR last week, they had NO DUFFYs in DL park, DTD or the hotels.. so at least in CA, it appears to be totally exclusive to DCA....

Also, Duffy is the big star on this year's Xmas events at HKDL.. as seen on their official site with Xmas information..

Oh good. Glad I can get him at DTD. My mom will be happy I can get one for that little girl she babysits. She loves Disney stuff (she dressed up as either Belle or Tiana for Halloween this year), so my mom thinks she'd love a Duffy bear.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch626626 View Post
    Who's Duffy?
    The best way Disney has shown to exploit its greed It's a teddy bear that was supposedly Mickeys and supposedly has a Mickey on its face. It's not a Disney character, just a way to make money with no nostalgic or sentimental or entertainment value. And they only broughht it into the parks to make money, even replacing non Disney themed items like the makes in Kidcot to give it more exposure and make more kids beg their parents to get one It's been popular overseas for awhile.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    The best way Disney has shown to exploit its greed It's a teddy bear that was supposedly Mickeys and supposedly has a Mickey on its face. It's not a Disney character, just a way to make money with no nostalgic or sentimental or entertainment value. And they only broughht it into the parks to make money, even replacing non Disney themed items like the makes in Kidcot to give it more exposure and make more kids beg their parents to get one It's been popular overseas for awhile.
    Ok.. I have to chime a little observation here Ms. Neverland.. While Duffy lacks any sentimental value to you, it does add greatly to the idea of "having fun at Disney" for thousands of guests who carry him around in Tokyo. Let's not forget that, while Duffy's re-introduction in the US parks and his debut in HKDL is nothing but greed and in a less apparent way, jealousy of the WDC against OLC, which *knows* how to improve on Disney's oiwn brand, I still find Duffy redeaming simply because it was created BY DISNEY FOR THE DISNEY parks.

I much rather scream "Disney Company GREED of the worst possibe kind" when they go out and buy inferior franchises like the Marvel characters and shove them to park guests by sticking them in visible shelves in the Emporiums and other park stores where these characters are greatly out of place and not in synch with the theming of the specific lands of the DL parks. Now.. selling Marvel, Jonas freaking Bros, Selena Gomez and other GARBAGE found at the parks' shops, that have NOTHING to do with theme of park specific attractions...well... that to me, is MUCH MORE UNFORGIVABLE than them selling a bear that was created BY Disney marketing and that clearly has "Disney" written all over it.

That is why I can't not 100% agree about Duffy being a despicable GREEDY move on Disney's merchandise division.

KEEP Duffy and THROW OUT Marvel characters/Muppets/Indy/Star Wars.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 11-08-2010 at 09:11 PM.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I much rather scream "Disney Company GREED of the worst possibe kind" when they go out and buy inferior franchises like the Marvel characters and shove them to park guests by sticking them in visible shelves in the Emporiums and other park stores where these characters are greatly out of place and not in synch with the theming of the specific lands of the DL parks. Now.. selling Marvel, Jonas freaking Bros, Selena Gomez and other GARBAGE found at the parks' shops, that have NOTHING to do with theme of park specific attractions...well... that to me, is MUCH MORE UNFORGIVABLE than them selling a bear that was created BY Disney marketing and that clearly has "Disney" written all over it.

That is why I can't not 100% agree about Duffy being a despicable GREEDY move on Disney's merchandise division.

KEEP Duffy and THROW OUT Marvel characters/Muppets/Indy/Star Wars.

Well then by that logic shouldn't Universal "thow out" Harry Potter. They had nothing to do with making the movies or creating the characters and story, so they clearly are exploiting the francise to boost attendence and sell Potter merchandise. And yet there has been a obvious pro-Universal agenda pushed by you and many others on the boards.

Not saying it is not a well deserved empahsis, HP World looks fantastic I looking forward to seeing it in a few weeks. I'm just pointing out the obvious double standard. People are so quick to point they finger at Disney for being greedy but Universal gets a pat on the back?
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 11-09-2010 at 06:48 AM.

• MiceAge Columnist

Saw the outfits myself outside Epcot this past weekend. I think maybe I understood wrong, and it's just the Epcot outfits that are only sold in Epcot (a duh moment if ever there was one). The sailor outfit was there for everyone to see at DHS this past weekend.

The epcot pavilion outfits look to be sold out at epcot all the time. I have no clue how well the bears themselves are selling, especially outside of epcot.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

• Banned User

Kevin.. the bear are selling outside EPCOT..? You mean in Japan?? Because honestly, I never see anyone buying any Duffy or assessories at any given time when I am at DTD or even the MK. Not even at EPCOT do I see the bears moving.. and let's take bets.. How long will it be before Duffy starts arriving at the Disney outlet mall shops?

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Well then by that logic shouldn't Universal "thow out" Harry Potter. They had nothing to do with making the movies or creating the characters and story, so they clearly are exploiting the francise to boost attendence and sell Potter merchandise. And yet there has been a obvious pro-Universal agenda pushed by you and many others on the boards.

Not saying it is not a well deserved empahsis, HP World looks fantastic I looking forward to seeing it in a few weeks. I'm just pointing out the obvious double standard. People are so quick to point they finger at Disney for being greedy but Universal gets a pat on the back?
    Universal has always been a mismatch of things. Islands of Adventures is a prime example of that. On the other hand, Disney is DISNEY. They have a long history of 'in-house' characters that is 2nd to NONE. Disney does not need to look around for inferior brands to make them part of their family. This is why I will always argue that TRUE GREED is what pursues Disney to canivalize other brands out there, like the Marvel garbage.
    Duffy, as you may recall.. was born at WDW so to speak. Don't put the Duffy character down just because Oriental Land Company had the vision to use the bear in a more magical Disney way and made it suceesful, and that is what bugs Disney Company to the core: the japanese are doing Disney one better on wirth their own ways of intelligent business that capitalizes on internal characters, as opposed to other characters like the inferior muppets and marvel.

•   

I never said anything negative towards Duffy. I certainly do remember his humble beginnings as "the Disney Bear" and think it is wonderful how he has been plussed and has become as popular has he is now. As a matter of fact I plan on getting two of them on my next visit, one for myself another for my nephew. Don't know where you got the idea I was putting him down, but please don't put words in my mouth.

Universal may or maynot be a mismatch but that sure hasn't stopped the "look how much better Universal is since HP opened party" from landing here. Infact I keep reading more and more about how the themeing is so well done at IOA all along and how they really upped the game for theme parks. Actually I don't see how they are that mismatched, other than Simpson's (in Universal Studios Park) I can't think of any in-park attraction they have that wasn't their own property or idea and nearly all their food locations and hotels are outside vendors. IOA's "lands" are very different themes are are supposed to be a different Adventure on each Island. That is like saying that Disneyland is just a mismatch cause each realm of the park is not one cohesive theme.

Suppose HP opened in Disney, (as is my understanding they were purposed the idea but lost out to Uni) and was just as splendid (if not more) than it is now. Would you still be humming the same tune that Disney is Disney and non-Disney created francisees don't belong in the parks like you have been for years about the Muppets, Indy, Star Wars?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast