Thread: New Toontown?

New Toontown?

Since they're getting rid of the old Mickey's Toontown Fair, do you think that they should be putting in a new, all out, not fair-ish, Toontown back in behind Fantasyland? There's still room for expansion back there, (but they would need to move access roads,) and I think it would be good for the park. They could put the meet+greets there instead of tearing out Snow White, they could keep the houses, and put in Roger Rabbit! It would be similar to Disneyland's Toontown. Do you wish that this could become a reality?

Re: New Toontown?

I always wondered when they built toontown fair why they didnt do this in the first place. I mean we had minnie and mickey's house and donalds boat like the one in Disneyland why not the Roger Rabbit ride as well and better themeing?

• 1st visit 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Timon'sGirl View Post
    I always wondered when they built toontown fair why they didnt do this in the first place. I mean we had minnie and mickey's house and donalds boat like the one in Disneyland why not the Roger Rabbit ride as well and better themeing?
    The WDW toon land was build first and enhanced in 1996 - being on a tight budget and no imagination only Minnie's house, Donald's Boat and Goofy's Barnstormer was added in 1996. I hope a full Toontown-like land is someday built at WDW, I would prefer DHS between the Animation Courtyard and Pixar Place.

History -
    At WDW - Mickey's Birthdayland opened in 1988, became Mickey's Starland in 1990 and finally Mickey's Toontown Fair in 1996. 2011 bye, bye.

At DL - Toontown opened in 1993

Although when I posted this idea on another site (almost a year ago), it was immediately "shot down" by most because of the fallout issue from the fireworks. My response was, DL clears out Toontown for fallout, so could the MK. Anyway, here is my dream of a Toontown and Storybookland added to the MK behind the current Fantasyland Expansion. It actually leaves the current utilidoor access road in place with the additions reached by a Toontown Tunnel next to the Village Haus (think of the tunnel in Roger Rabbit where they leave the human world and enter the Toon world) and a second tunnel that runs parrallel to the WDWRR under the access road bridge. This whole area would open up the backside of the MK right up to the tracks of the WDWRR also providing a new (4th) train station to the far west of the land.

#1 Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin
    #2 Toontown City Hall, shops and dining
    #3 Minnie's house
    #4 Mickey's house
    #5 Chip and Dales treehouse
    #6 Goofy's Bounce house
    #7 Toontown Train Station
    #8 Donald's boat
    #9 Jolly Trolley
    #10 Storybookland Canal Boats
    #11 Casey Jr. Train through Storybookland
    #12 Old Mill Ferris Wheel

(The "L" shaped building to the right of Mickey's house is Casey Jr. and Canal Boat storage.)

Cartoon hills above Toontown buildings would hide the IASW showbuilding and the access road, and mountains (behind Storybookland) would also hide the access road. The tunnel to Toontown would be built out over the turnaround to the utilidoors (maybe actually expanding the Utilidoors a bit). The Storybookland tunnel, under the access road, would take up the space currently to the inside of the train tracks. This would be an ideal time to theme the whole overpass and disguise the underpass as another tunnel. The connection to Storybookland to Fantasyland would be located along the train tracks where the current TTF smoking area is. The path from Toontown by way of Storybookland to Fantasyland, actually goes through the middle of Storybookland so you don't actually have to ride the canal boats or Casey Jr to view it.

Well those are my idea's. It would definately add some capacity to the MK. Forgetting the "fallout" issue, 'cause we know Disney can work around that, what do you all think?
    WDW-'73,'76,'77,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'86,'91,'95,'96,'9 7,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'05,'06,'07,
    Jan'08,Feb'08,Sept'09,Feb'10,Apr'10,Sept'10,Jan'11 ,Apr'11,May'11,Sept'11,Dec'11,Mar'12,May'12,Sept/Oct'12,Nov'12
    DL-
    '79,'81,'84,'91,'05,'07,'10

• Minion

great idea but i think they should come up with new rides then copying disneyland's ones

• Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    great idea but i think they should come up with new rides then copying disneyland's ones
    I agree. I'd love to see a real Toontown in WDW with rides that are different then DL. I wouldn't mind Roger Rabbit but the rest should be different. I feel like those are just quintessential DL that having them copied in WDW would cheapen the experience. I like that there are rides and things you can only do in DL or you can only do in WDW.

• Minion

A year or two ago Alain Littaye (from disneyandmore.blogspot.com) posted concept art for an unbuilt version of Toontown, called Mickey Ville, that was once proposed for Tokyo Disneyland. This version of Toontown had a medieval theme similar to Fantasyland, perhaps drawing on "medieval" Mickey cartoons like the Brave Little Tailor and Mickey and the Beanstalk. Building this version would really be an excellent complement to the current Fantasyland expansion.

Here is a small pic of one segment of the land:

You can see many pics in high res at Alain's blog, at the link below:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/20...never-was.html
    Down with the Hat

hmm i wish that this could become a reality
    I am traveling now.

I thought part of the reason that they made the Magic Kingdom's version "Mickey's Toontown Fair" was because it was the "summer homes" of Mickey et. all, so as not to conflict with the story that they actually "live" in Toontown in California? I think it might get confusing if there were identical Toontowns on both coasts, with the characters all "living" in both locations at once.

Although I have to admit, steve2wdw, your plan to incorporate a Toontown at MK is basically exactly how I would like to see it done if it were done.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• 1st visit 1975

I don't think talking about what Toontown Fair was supposed to represent is very useful. It's going away, thankfully, and I hope a new, fully themed, unique cartoon character land will be built in one of the WDW parks.

I'm not locked into the Magic Kingdom as it has lots for small kids to enjoy in the new FLE. Epcot is more adult and AK is more nature and environmental. DHS fits the best with a cartoon world and could use more kid focused attractions.

I think people often look at what was done at DL as gospel to the only way something can be done. But if California Adventure was there before Toontown was built would it have been put in the Disneyland park? One may never know. Indy is in Tokyo Disney Sea vs DL AdL, Captain EO is in EPCOT vs DL TL and Star Tours is in DHS vs DL TL. So why not a new Toon village in DHS?

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    A year or two ago Alain Littaye (from disneyandmore.blogspot.com) posted concept art for an unbuilt version of Toontown, called Mickey Ville, that was once proposed for Tokyo Disneyland. This version of Toontown had a medieval theme similar to Fantasyland, perhaps drawing on "medieval" Mickey cartoons like the Brave Little Tailor and Mickey and the Beanstalk. Building this version would really be an excellent complement to the current Fantasyland expansion.

Here is a small pic of one segment of the land:

You can see many pics in high res at Alain's blog, at the link below:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/20...never-was.html
    I've always been a fan of the more medieval Toontown since Alain first posted it; I thought it would be a nice way to reinvent Toontown for MK, and would make a great transition from the European village of Fantasyland to the loonier, toonier fantasy village of Mickeyville. Kind of reminds me of the Mickey Mouse film Prince and the Pauper. In the end I liked the Toontown look they came up with better though.

Quote Originally Posted by oo_nrb View Post
    I thought part of the reason that they made the Magic Kingdom's version "Mickey's Toontown Fair" was because it was the "summer homes" of Mickey et. all, so as not to conflict with the story that they actually "live" in Toontown in California? I think it might get confusing if there were identical Toontowns on both coasts, with the characters all "living" in both locations at once.

Although I have to admit, steve2wdw, your plan to incorporate a Toontown at MK is basically exactly how I would like to see it done if it were done.
    That is certainly the story behind Toontown Fair (with the "country homes" being the part-time location of Mickey/Minnie when they're away from their homes in California, etc.). But to be honest... I think that was probably just WDI coming up with a way of explaining Toontown Fair in the first place. Toontown Fair utilized much of the previously existing and supposedly temporary mini-land, "Mickey's Starland," and Disney decided to keep the tent structures and to add a few attractions. To explain the completely different theme that resulted (and the undeniable more temporary feel), I'm guessing they came up with the Toontown Fair backstory to explain that this was a temporary traveling fair, in an otherwise quiet and pastoral country town.

Quote Originally Posted by Timon View Post
    I don't think talking about what Toontown Fair was supposed to represent is very useful. It's going away, thankfully, and I hope a new, fully themed, unique cartoon character land will be built in one of the WDW parks.

I'm not locked into the Magic Kingdom as it has lots for small kids to enjoy in the new FLE. Epcot is more adult and AK is more nature and environmental. DHS fits the best with a cartoon world and could use more kid focused attractions.

I think people often look at what was done at DL as gospel to the only way something can be done. But if California Adventure was there before Toontown was built would it have been put in the Disneyland park? One may never know. Indy is in Tokyo Disney Sea vs DL AdL, Captain EO is in EPCOT vs DL TL and Star Tours is in DHS vs DL TL. So why not a new Toon village in DHS?

YES.

I agree that's what Disney should do - put Toontown in DHS. DHS is the only park without a memorable or interesting place to meet Mickey and the gang, seeing as they get their own land in Animal Kingdom, a theater on Main Street (upcoming) in the MK, and the freakin' center of the park in Epcot... shouldn't they get some nice digs in DHS too? Plus DHS has a major deficiency in kid-friendly attractions, and I think parents would enjoy the enclosed, closed-nature space of Toontown in the otherwise hectic Hollywood Studios. Not to mention that the "real" Toontown (from Who Framed Roger Rabbit) is adjacent to 1940s Hollywood anyway, so having it branch off of 1940s-era Hollywood Boulevard works out perfectly. Heck, you've even picked out the exact spot I've always thought it should have - right next to the Animation Courtyard. They might have to bulldoze One Man's Dream though...

• All-American

... Not to knock your idea though, OP. I really like how you've utilized the MK's remaining space and introduced attractions from a number of parks in a new setting. Nice graphic too though.

I think it'd be great if Disney acknowledged some of their older cartoons in a new Toontown, especially since they now own Oswald. Perhaps a mini-coaster themed to Plane Crazy, or a black-and-white Trolley ride themed to the Oswald short, Trolley Troubles?

YouTube - Trolley Troubles - Oswald the Lucky Rabbit - 1927

Perhaps implementing the Jolly Trolley mechanism in a dark ride setting... could be fun. And seriously, why have they never done a black-and-white dark ride?

Has anyone watched the preschool program, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse? I think that concept would be a wonderful idea as a new "original Disney characters" land!
    And the kids would love it, as it brings the program to life for them. Here's the opportunity to have not only Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donald, Daisy and Goofy, but also Pete, Clarabelle, and Horace! I know I'd love to visit the Clubhouse and the homes of the characters who live in that land!

May you be surrounded by your pals this holiday season!