Blog Entries

A Disney MGM Studios celebration Part Four: The Dick Tracy Crime Stoppers attraction

A look at an attraction which almost was.

Hello, as promised, here is the part four of this Disney MGM Studios article series, and this time it will be about an attraction that never was - or almost was: Dick Tracy Crime Stoppers.

Remember this Warren Beatty movie adaptation of the famous Dick Tracy comic strip in 1990 ? The stylised movie where Al Pacino and all vilains had masks to have their faces looking like in the comic strip.

Yes, the one with Madonna playing in it - she was dating with Warren at that time!

Well, everybody at the WDC was so much convinced it will be a big hit that Walt Disney Imagineering designed a fantastic Dick Tracy attraction, a whole park area in fact.
    An attraction where "Dick Tracy will recruit guests to shoot it out with gangsters bad guys"...

The 1990's press release was saying that " Guests will literally get "into the act" in this new high-tech action-adventure featuring the very latest in Audio-Animatronics, simulation, sound and special effects." And also: "Guests will join America's favorite comic-strip detective in a high-speed chase with his gangster adversaries." And in what kind of decor this high-speed chase would have take place? Well, this kind of decor - a really great great one.

Just below, two close shots of this artwork to have a better view how detailed it was.

As for the high-speed chase itself, this rendering below will give you a perfect feeling of it.

Here also, two close shots of the artwork.

It looked great, doesn't it? And not only the Dick Tracy Crime Stoppers attraction was envisioned for the Disney MGM Studios, but also for Disneyland, Anaheim for a whole new land: "Hollywoodland". And if you ask any imagineer who worked at WDI at that time and who had the luck to see the model, they will all tell you how great the attraction would have been.

Yes, but...the problem was that the box office of the movie didn't reached the WDC expectations, and, well, you know what kind of things happen when a "eagerly anticipated summer hit" finally is not that successful, don't you? That's right, all the plans were cancelled, and we're all still waiting for this Dick Tracy attraction...although...when i looked again to that cinemascope rendering of the decor, the right part of it reminds me something that i saw in the best themed park on earth: the streets under the elevated tramway at the American Waterfront of Tokyo Disney Sea.

Hmmmm, i'm wondering if something from Dick Tracy Crime Stoppers finally survived? Your thoughts?

Artwork: copyright Disney Enterprises Inc.

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

Re: A Disney MGM Studios celebration Part Four: The Dick Tracy Crime Stoppers attract

Dick Tracy was part of my marching band's music this year, and the music almost seems tailor made for an awesome theme park ride. Shame this didn't materialize. Stupid 90's box office!
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.
    Check out my bandcamp!
    http://chaseharrison1.bandcamp.com/

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: A Disney MGM Studios celebration Part Four: The Dick Tracy Crime Stoppers attract

Quote Originally Posted by loaloa55 View Post

Hmmmm, i'm wondering if something from Dick Tracy Crime Stoppers finally survived? Your thoughts?
    Indeed it did. I believe that Dick Tracy was the inspiration behind Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters.

Great article Alain, this has long been one of my favorite unrealized WDI projects.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Former Epcot CM

This all sounds amazing! However, if there just wasn't the popularity of the film behind it, it would'nt have stood the test of time. We could be writing about how awful and dated the attraction is right now if it had ever actually been built!

Although... a Madonna AA sounds incredible. Voguing.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

it sounds amazing
    I am traveling now.

• A Suitcase & A Dream

This seems like it would have been an amazing attraction, I wonder if the Dick Tracy references could have been removed and it be just an old-time action movie attraction. That would be a nice fit for both DHS and the new Hollywoodland at DCA, more than Monsters Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This all sounds amazing! However, if there just wasn't the popularity of the film behind it, it would'nt have stood the test of time. We could be writing about how awful and dated the attraction is right now if it had ever actually been built!
    If an attraction is great, as in well-executed, it can remain popular/successful with the theme-park going public despite the source material falling into (and out of) obscurity. Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror and Jaws are a few examples.

• Former Epcot CM

True!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris