View Poll Results: New Beauty or Old Beauty? (see post #1)

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old Show

1 8.33%
  • New Show

7 58.33%
  • I didn't see both shows/I don't have a preference

4 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disney Memory Maker

New Beauty or Old Beauty?

Which version of the Beauty and the Beast stage show do you like better, the old version or the current version?

Old Version
    • Featured dancing bats segment after Kill the Beast
    • Opened with "Bonjour"
    • When the beast transformed into the prince, he was wearing fancy clothes
    • Transformation: We see beast's hand and the cape starts to rise featuring the prince underneath (the cape and fake hand are then dragged offstage)
    • Belle leaves and comes back in formal clothes to dance with the prince
    • No stage bow at end (I could be wrong about this one)
    New Version
    • No more bat segment
    • It now opens up with the prelogue (featuring the prince, the witch & the beast)
    • The prince now wears torn up clothes after he transforms
    • Transformation: The men with the sheet return and go in front of the beast (they follow him offstage as to hide his removal). The witch enters and does a dance. The men with the sheet return again and unwrap the sheet revealing the prince
    • Belle starts to dance with the prince (belle's wearing the blue cape with the hood and the prince is in torn up clothes). They exit & come back later in the formal clothes
    • Everyone takes a bow at the end
    If I missed anything, please tell me.

Personally, I prefer the new show. I hated the bat segment (it was so boring) and the new show is so much more real. I love the opening prologue and closing stage bow. I also think the transformation is much more realistic (and Belle's and Prince's dancing clothes more realistic).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Re: New Beauty or Old Beauty?

ought to be an option for "don't like either"
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I guess I've only seen the new show but how "new" is it because I remember seeing that one in the late 90's.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by aimster
    I guess I've only seen the new show but how "new" is it because I remember seeing that one in the late 90's.
    I'd say it probably changed about 3 or 4 years ago.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Well, I like the Broadway version. lol

Same guy who did all three you know. He hates seeing it in the Studios... says it reminds him of how bad that version is and how good the Broadway version is. lol

Either way, it's good to know the park version still has some fans!

I rarely see Beauty & the Beast on Stage at the Studios. Voyage of the Little Mermaid is my fav. show there... too bad some parts of it were cut and some effects don't work well anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    I'd say it probably changed about 3 or 4 years ago.

-Michael
    That can't be right. I only saw the show once in the mid-late 90's but I remember it had the prologue about the enchantress turning the prince into the beast. So that part has been in for almost 10 years.

The show should have been replaced years ago. It was originally planned to run two years, btw.

I haven't seen it since the late 90s, so I can't take part in your poll, but I agree with Bill. I prefer the Broadway version too!

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by aimster
    That can't be right. I only saw the show once in the mid-late 90's but I remember it had the prologue about the enchantress turning the prince into the beast. So that part has been in for almost 10 years.
    They've always had the prologue, but it never used to be acted out. They just read through the prologue and that transitioned into "Bonjour." In the current version, the witch, prince/beast and 2 other people act out the scene (over the same narration).

Oh. I see.

• dreams do come true

I have only seen this the show once two weeks ago and I thought it was the worst show I have ever seen. the origanal at Disneyland was the best ever. I actualy thought most of the shows at WDW were cheese and not that great. Disneyland dose a much better job in the area of entertainment.

• Banned User

Mikey, I prefer NEITHER. DL's Beauty and The Beast show at the Fantasyland Stage was by far a much better show than MGM's long suffering and outdated version.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper S
    have only seen this the show once two weeks ago and I thought it was the worst show I have ever seen. the origanal at Disneyland was the best ever. I actualy thought most of the shows at WDW were cheese and not that great. Disneyland dose a much better job in the area of entertainment.
    Man! Do I agree with you on that! Time for WDW purist to wake up and smell the reality of WDW.

• Disney Memory Maker

To the two above posts....if you have nothing to add to the thread, don't post here. I wouldn't go into a thread entitled "Sleeping Beauty Castle: Old paint vs new paint" and say "who cares.....sleeping beauty castle sucks. Cinderella's castle in WDW is 1000 times better than that little piece of garbage you call a castle." I wouldn't do that. And if I did, I would expect hundreds of points of negative rep, a lot of PMs and a lot of people hating me. If you don't like the BatB show, good for you. Say "I don't like the show" and that's it. Don't go into a whole spiel about how if someone does like the show, they are wrong in thinking that. Also, this isn't a DL vs WDW thread. If you want that kind of thread, make your own.

-Michael

• The one, the only...

I saw the show in 1998 and 2002. To tell the truth, I don't know if it was different. I am going back this December and am not planing to see the show. I love the Beauty and the Beast movie and feel that the stage show really does not do it justice. It is too rushed. The charm of objects coming to life really did not come across on stage.

From the description, it sounds like the orginial show was better. I am always in favor of adding more magic and not less.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

I'm a huge BatB fan, and I've always been disappointed in MGM's show. It probably didn't help that I saw the Broadway show first either...
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Minion

ORWEN: Oh! Us cauldron girls like the NEW show so much better than the old one. The old one started in the middle of the story--while the new version starts at the beginning--

ORGOCH: --an' when it comes ta the end, it stops!

ORWEN: And we like the way the Beast goes through his transformation a lot better than the way he transformed into a prince before.

ORDDU: Of course in BOTH versions, the transformation remains rather 'hokey'. Disneyland's version of the transformation left you wondering how they did it--which means the WEST Coast version of this stage show was much more satisfying than the East Coast version. However, the newer version for Disney M-G-M was definitely a step in the right direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast