Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Post Pleasure Island to be replaced with Hyperion Wharf

UPDATE: My "Rumor" has now been confirmed by Disney (Sad but true)

As soon as tomorrow, Disney may announce plans for the replacement of Pleasure Island at Walt Disney World's Downtown Disney. It is all but certain that the creative Adventure's Club, BET Soundstage & Comedy Warehouse will be replaced by a new Hyperion Wharf district which will feature a large family/pedestrian area, 3rd party restaurants and shops. From what we have seen and heard, this is not the bold concept we had hoped for to fix this Long suffering area.

Sigh

Dusty
    Last edited by Dustysage; 11-18-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Updated Rumor to Confirmed
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Golden State of Mind

Re: Pleasure Island to be replaced with Hyperion Wharf

I'm not sure how I feel about this? Maybe some concept photos will sway me.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

As Downtown Disney becomes more of a mall, does this make you more or less likely to visit on your WDW vacation?
    Find us on Facebook:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

It's really sad that WDW cannot seem to contemplate the importance of bringing the extraordinary to attract guests. Instead, they are just giving guests a ho-hum shopping area that is suppose to be good enough to keep guests coming over the next couple of decades. Guests are not stupid, they realize when they are being taken advantage of. Removing and eliminating a wide variety of entertainment is NOT the way to keep guests coming.

All this immediately after one of Universal Orlando's biggest years! Universal has proven themselves to be worthy competition. Meanwhile, WDW executives are being lazy and continue to "withdraw" from Disney's reputation, rather than build it up. And it's really beginning to look like Universal City Walk Orlando has more to offer than DTD.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about this? Maybe some concept photos will sway me.
    I'm sure the Disney Blog will post shiny drawings showing happy people shopping. The spin for the new area will be typical. once announced, I encourage you all to look beyond the spin at who is running the new shops and restaurants and what if anything really strikes a cord of creativity and invention in your opinion. This may be a great shopping opportunity for some, but I'm sorry to see Downtown Disney losing its nightlife. The resort is really a lot more boring at night since the closing of the clubs. This move seems to cements that fate.

We shouldn't have long to wait for official (and typically perky) info from Disney's official sources.
    Find us on Facebook:

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    As Downtown Disney becomes more of a mall, does this make you more or less likely to visit on your WDW vacation?
    Definitely less likely, it also increase the chances of going off property and doing Citiwalk .. with the loss of pleasure island and even the way the boardwalk has lost its charm , its sad disneyworld is giving up ... You think they can come up with something more creative...

• Marching along

Angry Re: Pleasure Island to be replaced with Hyperion Wharf

Extra-double sigh, Dusty. Actually hundreds of sighs over the last couple of years. Not only does their self-proclaimed "bold, new vision" make me less likely to visit DD, it makes me less likely to visit WDW!

And the proof's in the pudding. Since the clubs closed, the wife and I have NOT STEPPED FOOT on DD property AT ALL, and we will NOT return. Gone are the multiple costly "grown-up" weekend trips we used to take to WDW each year. Pleasure Island was the draw, but we stayed at deluxe hotels, ate expensive meals, and happily enjoyed pricey spa treatments. No more for us, and that means less $$ for Disney.

An overcrowded shopping mall with lousy bus service, impossible parking and no worthwhile entertainment? No thanks, I can do that at home for a lot less $. Come to think of it, it's the kind of mundane urban setting we used to go to WDW to escape.

Brilliant move WDW. Just brilliant.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I don't go to WDW for DTD, and since lately I've only been going there once quickly, Marketplace only, this doesn't really bother me.

I'd rather spend my time after the parks at the resorts lately anyway. Much better atmosphere there and much quieter. I'm not a club person anyway, so it never really affected me.

For all the money they're saving by using 3rd party, they should invest it back into the parks.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• One Little Spark...

It definitely makes me less likely to visit! This trip we went to DTD twice, once to just show Dave what it was, and have some Earl of Sandwich (and a drink a T Rex) and the 2nd time was the night before we left, to buy some last minute souvenirs. But honestly, At this point I could take it or leave it. There is no reason to go there unless you need to buy something specific. I miss the nights we spent at Comedy Warehouse (seeing every show) and Adventurers Club. It was nice to have a fun place to go when the parks closed early. Some more restaurant chains that I can have anywhere are not going to get me to spend time at DTD.

Also...I am definitely not a club person. But Comedy Warehouse and Adventurers Club were completely different. And Atlantic Beach Club was a blast. Even my parents had a great time at DTD when they went!

• Call me "Mox"

I loved the Adventurer's Club, didn't really spend a lot of time in the other clubs of Pleasure Island... well I did go to the Comedy Club. I wouldn't consider myself a club person but the area was a nice place to go to just socialize with adults and meet new people.

I'd like the idea of a "Wharf" setting if they were to go all out and make it like Cannery Row in Monterey or Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.
    "All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."

Disneyland - 1995, 1988
    Walt Disney World - JAN 2011, OCT 2010, SEPT 2010, MAY 2010, MAR 2010, JULY 2009, MAY 2009, JULY 1999

Next Trips:
    WDW - Valentine's Day 2011
    Disneyland - Late May/Early June

Wow - they haven't even started construction and everyone's saying how bad it is - shouldn't we wait until we know more information and see the final product

Here is all of the exciting info! Get out your wallets!

First Look: Waterfront District

Last edited by chad; 11-18-2010 at 09:17 AM.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Looks like I was right on all accounts - from the name and chirpy Disney Blog announcement to shiny images of a totally BORING concept.

This is one occasion where I wish I had been wrong. I really DIDN'T want this to be true. Sadly there is no one in charge of Disney World who cares about the product any more. It's all about the $$$$ these days and not about the magic.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

• Iron-Clad Allie

I'd rather go off property to Orlando's business districts than to go to what essentially sounds like a a run of the mill nondescript shopping area. When will Walmart be moving in?
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The Hyperion Wharf name is a very poor attempt at trying to make this all connect to Disney history. I am not a fan of the constant backstories, but the Meriweather Pleasure one was a true gem. Now we get a name copied from the street address of the original studio.

I will soon be making my second short trip to Orlando this year. In the past, these days were prompted by a Walt Disney World Annual Pass. I later added a Universal Preferred Pass, but today I just have the Universal Premier Pass.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)