Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

AL Weiss promoted (merged twice)

I tried to post this in news but I guess I can't do that...so here is an article from the Orlando Sentinal...

Disney promotes Weiss to oversee park operations

By Jerry W. Jackson | Sentinel Staff Writer

Longtime Walt Disney World President Al Weiss is getting a promotion to oversee worldwide park operations as Walt Disney Co. announced this evening that it is reorganizing the way the Parks and Resorts Division operates.

Weiss, who has headed the Orlando theme parks since 1994, was promoted to the newly created position of President, Worldwide Operations. He will continue to oversee Walt Disney World on an interim basis until a successor is appointed, the company said.

Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, said Weiss and six other executives on the new executive committee will report directly to him and help integrate business functions from individual parks into the increasingly global division.

Rasulo said the new structure will "streamline the decision making process" and also help the company develop a consistent set of business practices for the parks and resorts, which stretch from Orlando and Anaheim, Calif. to Hong Kong, Paris and Tokyo.

Rasulo said he also will now have direct oversight of creative development at Walt Disney Imagineering, Research and Development and Walt Disney parks and Resorts Online.

Weiss, a native of Illinois, started work at Walt Disney World in 1972 at age 18, a year after the park opened. He worked the evening shift in the accounting department, while attending college. He rose through the ranks, earned a bachelor's degree at the University of Central Florida and an MBA from Rollins College in 1980.

He held numerous positions including finance manager for marketing and entertainment, and division manager for Disney Village Marketplace, Fort Wilderness Resort and River Country. In 1993 he was promoted to executive vice president of the resorts division and in 1994 he was promoted to a newly created position of executive vice president of Walt Disney World. The title was changed in 1996 to President of Walt Disney World, also a new position.

Jerry W. Jackson can be reached at 407-420-5721 or [email protected]

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...news-headlines

• MiceAge Columnist

Re: Al Weiss Promoted

Yup. Time to get some dirt. (not in time for this week's update, alas)
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Disney Memory Maker

Cool Weiss Promoted....(merged)

This has already been posted in the news section, but I figured I'd repost it here so we can comment on it.......

Longtime Walt Disney World President Al Weiss is getting a promotion to oversee worldwide park operations as Walt Disney Co. announced this evening that it is reorganizing the way the Parks and Resorts Division operates.

Weiss, who has headed the Orlando theme parks since 1994, was promoted to the newly created position of President, Worldwide Operations. He will continue to oversee Walt Disney World on an interim basis until a successor is appointed, the company said.

Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, said Weiss and six other executives on the new executive committee will report directly to him and help integrate business functions from individual parks into the increasingly global division.

Rasulo said the new structure will "streamline the decision making process" and also help the company develop a consistent set of business practices for the parks and resorts, which stretch from Orlando and Anaheim, Calif. to Hong Kong, Paris and Tokyo.

Rasulo said he also will now have direct oversight of creative development at Walt Disney Imagineering, Research and Development and Walt Disney parks and Resorts Online.

Weiss, a native of Illinois, started work at Walt Disney World in 1972 at age 18, a year after the park opened. He worked the evening shift in the accounting department, while attending college. He rose through the ranks, earned a bachelor's degree at the University of Central Florida and an MBA from Rollins College in 1980.

He held numerous positions including finance manager for marketing and entertainment, and division manager for Disney Village Marketplace, Fort Wilderness Resort and River Country. In 1993 he was promoted to executive vice president of the resorts division and in 1994 he was promoted to a newly created position of executive vice president of Walt Disney World. The title was changed in 1996 to President of Walt Disney World, also a new position.
    I know a few members here just might be excessivly happy today ( :cough:WDW1974:cough: ). Then again, some of our offshore members might not be so happy about this news.

What are your thoughts?

-Michael
    *BTW: I have nothing against Al Weiss. In fact, I think he has done a spectacular job at WDW!
    Last edited by TheDisneyInquisitor; 11-14-2005 at 09:56 PM.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• time to go

Sad Re: Weiss Promoted....

Here's the part of the article that troubles me the most:

"Weiss, who has headed the Orlando theme parks since 1994, was promoted to the newly created position of President, Worldwide Operations. He will continue to oversee Walt Disney World on an interim basis until a successor is appointed, the company said."

"Until a successor is appointed"? ACK! Who will replace Weiss?

Who has an OUTSTANDING track record as President of a particular Disney theme park resort?

Who would be able to sprinkle his special brand of Pixie Dust all over the Orlando resort and make it sparkle and shine like a bright new penny in the well water?

NOOOOO!

Matt must stay in Anaheim! He must! He must! He must!

• Disney Memory Maker

Re: Weiss Promoted....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy
    I highly doubt Matt will be coming. Although he has done great things in DL, I don't think he would work for WDW. They are probably going to promote someone else (and if history proves anything, it'll probably be someone from the Cruise Line). Just my opinion though.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Clever way of saying that Jay is bringing in his own team to run WDW. Don't want to throw Al out, but Jay wants more direct control. Worked for Disneyland. We can only hope the magic will repeat.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    This has already been posted in the news section, but I figured I'd repost it here so we can comment on it.......

I know a few members here just might be excessivly happy today ( :cough:WDW1974:cough: ). Then again, some of our offshore members might not be so happy about this news.

What are your thoughts?

-Michael
    *BTW: I have nothing against Al Weiss. In fact, I think he has done a spectacular job at WDW!

I don't know quite how to react to this news as of yet. I truly dislike Weiss because he has been the classic kiss-*** exec, willing to throw years of quality and tradition to the winds to look good to Burbank, which he obviously has.

I also fear for the future of all Disney parks if this position truly gives him any wide-ranging power (press release aside). The idea of 'streamlining' park operations across the world and making them all operate the same way is great if you're basing it on quality like the OLC provides all the time at its parks or DL has provided since Matt Ouimet deposed the evil Queen Cyn and her monkey-men. But if it's designed to make all parks operate like WDW's, I would have a MAJOR problem.

But if it's a nice promotion to get him out of the way and install someone that wants to bring Disney quality back to Florida, like what has happened in Anaheim, then I say it's great news.

I guess what I'm saying is we need to sit back and see what shoe falls where next before saying whether this is a watershed moment in WDW history or just the beginning of the end of all Disney parks!!!!!

^^^C'mon Kevin ... let's have some dirt.

What do we pay you for? ;-)

• Having a Grand Day!

Hopefully Igor Iger will see this as an oppourtunity to bring somebody in who will try to maximise on WDW's current assests rather than half-assed expansion.

Where did Weiss rank on the Pressler scale of bad management? (M.E. Should of Kept Him In Retail Where He Belonged...)

• time to go

Sad Re: Weiss Promoted....

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    Where did Weiss rank on the Pressler scale of bad management?
    Well... Judson Greene was President of Walt Disney Attractions/Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. He stepped down, and Pressler promoted into his position.

Then, Pressler jumped ship for The Gap, and Jay Rasulo bumped up into the job. Again, Weiss was passed over.

Not exactly sure what that says about his management style, but being disregarded twice for the head of the larger group seems somewhat significant, given the larger scope of WDW versus DLR and DLRP.

However, with Al's recent promotion into "worldwide park operations," who can say if any of his previous experience matters now. This slide up the food chain could be nothing more than Weiss knowing what to kiss and when.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Clever way of saying that Jay is bringing in his own team to run WDW. Don't want to throw Al out, but Jay wants more direct control. Worked for Disneyland. We can only hope the magic will repeat.
    I hope so too. By the looks of the MK lately... Al is not qualified to run a Diosney park at all.

• Banned User

Al promoted? God help us.

• I was deleted.

Yup, big changes are ahead! I wonder who will take his place? I wonder how this will imapct DL and CM Matt.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

I'm glad to see Weiss leaving...on a team of six, his opinions will be largely muted and thankfully dispersed among 11 theme parks, so none will suffer majors. Let's get another Matt Ouimet over at WDW. Out with the old. I'm guessing the new President will be someone we would never think of.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy
    How bout Matt goes to Florida, and Emmer bumps up to Prez of DL?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast