Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Seasick

Re: 12 Days in Orlando: Walt Disney World, Universal, and the Kennedy Space Center

For lunch today, we had reservations to try out Epcots' newest eatery, Via Napoli.

I'm a big fan of wood-fired Pizza, and was eager to try out something especially authentic. The food was very good.

Fried Saffron Risotto Balls appetizer:

The pepperoni pizza:

Ricotta cheese fritters for dessert:

After lunch we spent some time in World Showcase, seeing the China film and pavillion.

Shortly after that it started to rain. Hard. in 2008, I encountered no rain in Orlando. In 2006, it rained for all of 10 minutes of a two-week trip. Not this time. This time we encountered several days of precipitation.

I did have a poncho with me, but when it rains really hard in Orlando, you're still going to get wet. Especially your feet. You just have to live with it.

We headed back to the hotel to dry off prior to dinner.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Seasick

Re: 12 Days in Orlando: Walt Disney World, Universal, and the Kennedy Space Center

We returned to Epcot that same evening for dinner. It was still drizzling, but the downpour had mercifully dissipated for the most part. We had reservations at Les Chefs de France.

A few people in the restaurant had to move due to rain dripping from the ceiling. Is there really any excuse for buildings not being completely waterproof?

The duck was probably one of the best tasting dishes of the entire trip:

The seafood was well done as well:

Fancy Profiteroles:

The Creme Brulee:

After dinner it was still lightly raining. It didn't seem to stop people from strolling and sipping drinks around World Showcase. I enjoyed some sort of Lemon Grey Goose slushie concoction.

We did the Gran Fiesta boat ride in Mexico, and hit up Test Track and Mission: Space again. We also did Living With the Land, and it was nice to do it at night - travelling through the greenhouses when the sky is dark makes for a different experience.

With that, a long and wet day came to an end.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    you guys are sooo cute!
    What he said!

Nice to see two of my favorite people having a great time in the World!

Keep it coming!
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• Seasick

Day 05: September 25

We'd already seen most of the park, but we returned to Disney's Hollywood Studios because we had lunch reservations. I don't mind planning out meals in advance, but it can prevent one from being spontaneous.

Ah Disney, where they build an elaborately themed seafaring vessel, just to sell sandwiches.

Another well-themed building:

A streetmosphere performer spots a victim...

...and makes her move:

• Seasick

The Indy stunt show is still relevant and entertaining, a testament to just how much of a classic its' source material is. Having said that, I wouldn't object if they update the show to include elements from some of the other Indy movies.

I'd always wanted to eat at the Sci-Fi Dine-in Theater, but it just didn't happen on previous trips.

This is why one visits Disney, for experiences you just can't get elsewhere. I was there for the ambience, but the food was certainly good.

Since we were there, we did Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster again. I could have lived without seeing Lights, Motors, Action! again, but Vince hadn't seen it. It's a solid show. One thing I noticed is that they continued to seat guests well after the show had started, even when it was more than half over. Sure, there was space, but I'm sure it was a disruption for some of the other guests. Surely they can close the gates after a reasonable period of time?

• Seasick

We headed back to the hotel. Here's a few more shots of Port Orleans French Quarter:

Our dinner destination was the Cape May Cafe at the Yacht or Beach Club resort. We weren't sure which of the two buildings it was at, and were a bit surprised the bus driver didn't know either. Regardless, they're close enough together it didn't really matter. I think we got off at the Yacht Club and walked to the Beach Club for the restaurant.

Vince found the atmosphere at the Beach Club to be "snooty". They did have a nice lobby:

Cape May Cafe is buffet style, with crab legs being the main attraction. I wasn't a huge fan of the restaurant. I found the food selection relatively dull and uninspired. It wasn't bad per se, but unless you really want to take advantage of all-you-can-eat crab & shrimp, I wouldn't recommend it.

I did love the desserts, particularly their signature Oreo Bon Bons (bottom left):

A view of the boardwalk, from the Beach Club resort:

• Seasick

Since there's no busses between resorts, we took the long way home, via Downtown Disney. Downtown Disney always seemed to be busy. I'm honestly not sure why, aside from a few restaurants, there isn't any merchandise you can't find in the parks, and the gutting of Pleasure Island has taken it right off my to-do list. Perhaps it was busy because the parks all tend to be closed early.

Depressing photos alert!

Closed nighttime entertainment:

More wasted space:

This next photo is not the best, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out one of the worst decisions they've ever made at Walt Disney World, the closure of the Adventurer's Club. It was one of those special, unique experiences, you can't get anywhere else. It was the kind of thing I remembered when visiting Walt Disney World, and the kind of thing that would make we want to go back, and recommend the place to others.

The Characters in Flight balloon. We did not partake. It looked to be doing solid business:

Am I allowed to post this next photo? I don't want to give away Disney's "best kept secret"? Honestly, you can't push something at every possible opportunity, and call it a "secret".

Back to the hotel, here's the entrance to French Quarter:

A look at the food court decor:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Great report so far! I can't believe I haven't seen it yet!

Port Orleans is definitely one of the best of resorts on property. Such a beautiful resort!

I think I'm the only one who likes Sounds Dangerous. I understand the hatred, it's kind of a guilty pleasure for me.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Great report so far! I can't believe I haven't seen it yet!

Port Orleans is definitely one of the best of resorts on property. Such a beautiful resort!

I think I'm the only one who likes Sounds Dangerous. I understand the hatred, it's kind of a guilty pleasure for me.
    Thanks!

We'll have to agree to disagree on Sounds Dangerous. It's a show about sound effects and they use these cheap headphones that look like they came off an old walkman.

*grumble grumble*

• Indiana Scott

Great TR! It reminds me that even though we've been to WDW several times, there's still lots we haven't seen or done.

Awesome report. i've never been to Disney World, but intend to in 2011. Your report is very inspirational.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Awesome report.
    This makes the wait For my January trip seem like forever, I can't wait to go

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Oh PI. You were the thing I would brag about, how WDW was a complete experience... sad face... I totally avoid DTD.

• World Traveler

Thanks for the great TR!!! Glad you had a great time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

cant wait for your off property pics.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast