Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

Re: 12 Days in Orlando: Walt Disney World, Universal, and the Kennedy Space Center

Excellent report! It is depressing to see the closed Pleasure Island. Hopefully something good is done with the area (Hyperion Wharf can't take all of the area right?)
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.

•   
    • Seasick

Re: 12 Days in Orlando: Walt Disney World, Universal, and the Kennedy Space Center

Day 06: September 26

Walt Disney World is huge, you can spend weeks there and not see everything. Today was a day to do something I hadn't done during previous visits.

A while back, the MiceChat Weekend Update featured photos of Disney's Winter Summerland mini-gold course, and it looked really nice. I made a mental note at the time to check it out on a future visit.

Winter Summerland is located next to Blizzard Beach water park.

The course features great theming, interesting course design, and fun interactive elements.

Many of the holes feature animated elements. One hole has water squirting fish. The cooler on this hole opens when you putt your ball underneath it:

There are two 18-hole courses. Each has separate admission, but if you pay for one you get a discount on subsequent courses, so doing both was a no-brainer.

The first course is strictly winter themed.

My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

•   
    • Seasick

In the second course, we see what happens when the sun melts all that snow.

See, Disneyland doesn't have the smallest Disney castle in existance:

Here, a snowman dies a horrible death. Since this is Disney, the attraction no doubt has some backstory about the Snowman's child being an outcast orphan:

I noticed this sign at the bus stop afterward. Parts of the printing have faded or have been torn away. A minor example of a lack of proper upkeep. Fortunately, this sort of thing was the exception at Walt Disney World, and not the norm:

•   
    • Seasick

The behind-the-scenes tours offered at Epcot had piqued Vince's interest on a prior day, so we returned to Epcot to partake in one of them.

The Sunshine Seasons food court at the Land pavillion in Epcot is one of my favourite quick serve locations in Walt Disney World. There's a wide selection, with some interesting, quality choices. I had a noodle salad with seared tuna:

We killed some time waiting for the tour by visiting with Figment again. I honestly never tire of this ride. The fact that it's almost always a walk-on doesn't hurt either.

Some more Future World scenery:

•   
    • Seasick

The Behind The Seeds tour is a one-hour excursion behind the scenes at the Land pavillion, mostly taking place in the greenhouses of the Living With The Land attraction.

We start in area not visible from the attraction. Our tour guide shows us some plants being grown:

We are entrusted with some ladybugs, that we'll release into the greenhouse plants later. Wait a minute, are we paying Disney to do their work for them?

Ooh, backstage! *excited squeal*

•   
    • Seasick

In the greenhouse, we learn much more about how the plants are grown:

The attraction vehicles pass by in the background, the passengers consumed with jealousy at our up-close-and-personal views of the plants:

One thing we learn, is that the talk on the attraction about the food they grow being used in Disney's restaurants, is mostly just talk. Not surprising really, as they'd need a lot more capacity than what they have to feed all those tourists. The plans being grown are mostly for show.

•   
    • Seasick

Can you see what the lettuce spells out here?

We leave the greenhouse area:

You can't get such a good photo of these guys from the boats, I imagine:

After seeing the gators and fish being fed, we're back to a greenhouse:

One last look at the backstage of Epcot:

We really enjoyed the Behind The Seeds Tour. It's a very affordable way ($14 I believe) to do something special that the average guest won't experience. It's a great change of pace from your standard Disney attractions.

On a previous visit I did the Keys to the Kingdom tour at the Magic Kingdom, which I also enjoyed. I'd recommend making a point of doing at least one tour, as part of a Walt Disney World vacation.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

GREAT photos from behind the seeds! Also I think you posted the moste complete spread on Winter Summerland too.

•   
    • Seasick

We headed to the monorail station to make our way to the Magic Kingdom. I love riding the Disney monorails, in fact when I take a resort bus right to the Magic Kingdom entrance, I'm jealous of the people that get to arrive via monorail.

Might as well get another photo done at the entrance, right? If you're planning to buy the Photopass CD, it's in your best interest to get as many photos taken as possible.

Such a nice castle. It's a little annoying that the stage in front means you can't walk through it:

It's as if Minnie were actually there with us:

One of the statues in the hub:

•   
    • Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    GREAT photos from behind the seeds! Also I think you posted the moste complete spread on Winter Summerland too.
    Thanks!

I could have posted a few dozen more Winter Summerland photos, but I'm trying to be selective. This report is long enough as it is, and I wouldn't want to bore anyone

•   
    • Seasick

The greenery here makes for an even nicer castle shot. I think this is one thing the Disneyland castle lacks(?):

Here we leave the world of today, and enter the world of tomorrow:

But first, we pose for photos:

Cheesy Princess & The Frog photo-op? Why not, let's make that photo CD worth our money:

•   
    • Seasick

Putting aside any concerns that a comedy club featuring monsters has little to do with the future, we watched Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor:

I was told to put my camera away pretty quickly. Funny show, even if they re-use some bits too often. The audience members they targeted it weren't really playing along this time.

We headed to the Contemporary Hotel to eat dinner at The Wave:

More good food:

•   
    • Seasick

After dinner we returned to the Magic Kingdom. I have to say it gets a bit irritating going through the bag checks so many times in one day, but what can you do. At least they don't have long line-ups or anything.

Evening Magic Hours were originally scheduled for 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm, but I guess they decided to extend regular park hours, meaning Magic Hours would run until 1:00 am. I wish we didn't have early morning plans the next day, as I love staying in the parks super late, which is a rare opportunity in the off-season. It was raining a bit, so just as well I suppose.

We rode the PeopleMover again because it is awesome. There were some technical problems, so we were stuck in the Space Mountain tunnel for a bit:

Heading home for the night:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

oooooh snap! I love getting stuck in the TTA with a special someone... wink, wink, nudge, nudge

• Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Thanks!

I could have posted a few dozen more Winter Summerland photos, but I'm trying to be selective. This report is long enough as it is, and I wouldn't want to bore anyone
    I don't think you'll bore anyone!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast