Renew the annual pass?

My family went to Busch Gardens this weekend for the first time in over a decade. How it has changed! A very large area for small kids, new thrill rides, surprisingly good food, good service, and clean. An annual pass was the same price as a single day ticket!! The "infrequent park visitors" in our party commented that they preferred Busch Gardens to Disney.

After the new year, my family will make our highly-anticipated trip to Harry Potter in IoA. We will most likely get annual passes, as we have enjoyed those parks in the past.

Where does this leave our Disney annual passes? Quite possibly in the trash. Every trip reveals a new disappointment with a disappeared food item, broken effects that are still broken, and very little new attractions to keep things fresh. I can't believe that I, of all people, am considering not renewing those passes. But there it is. I can't see forking over the cash for the unmistakable decline in value.

I have read in these forums that we WDW guests are like the frog in the pot of water slowly getting hot. As the parks decline slowly over the years, we don't notice. I suggest that the frog is actually WDW management, not the guests. As the number of disenchanted guests grow, they still make money, so they don't notice. But one day they will find themselves in a hole to deep to climb out of.

Disney, Disney, Disney, you must step up your game! Your guests are becoming more and more disenchanted in larger and larger numbers. Your competition is working hard to take advantage of your laxness. By the time the decline in your parks drives enough people away to really hurt you financially, you will have to sink incredible amounts of money and time into WDW to restore your position as the Flagship of Themeparks.

The Fantasyland Expansion is way too little, way too late. You need Big Picture thinkers in your management to re-invent the way you are doing business, to restore your reputation with the casual guest and the passionate guest alike. It's not too late to turn things around, but it will be, sooner than you think.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Renew the annual pass?

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    My family went to Busch Gardens this weekend for the first time in over a decade. How it has changed! A very large area for small kids, new thrill rides, surprisingly good food, good service, and clean. An annual pass was the same price as a single day ticket!! The "infrequent park visitors" in our party commented that they preferred Busch Gardens to Disney.

After the new year, my family will make our highly-anticipated trip to Harry Potter in IoA. We will most likely get annual passes, as we have enjoyed those parks in the past.

Where does this leave our Disney annual passes? Quite possibly in the trash. Every trip reveals a new disappointment with a disappeared food item, broken effects that are still broken, and very little new attractions to keep things fresh. I can't believe that I, of all people, am considering not renewing those passes. But there it is. I can't see forking over the cash for the unmistakable decline in value.

I have read in these forums that we WDW guests are like the frog in the pot of water slowly getting hot. As the parks decline slowly over the years, we don't notice. I suggest that the frog is actually WDW management, not the guests. As the number of disenchanted guests grow, they still make money, so they don't notice. But one day they will find themselves in a hole to deep to climb out of.

Disney, Disney, Disney, you must step up your game! Your guests are becoming more and more disenchanted in larger and larger numbers. Your competition is working hard to take advantage of your laxness. By the time the decline in your parks drives enough people away to really hurt you financially, you will have to sink incredible amounts of money and time into WDW to restore your position as the Flagship of Themeparks.

The Fantasyland Expansion is way too little, way too late. You need Big Picture thinkers in your management to re-invent the way you are doing business, to restore your reputation with the casual guest and the passionate guest alike. It's not too late to turn things around, but it will be, sooner than you think.
    I find this heart breaking yet... I sympathize. I moved back to Orlando this past summer, while I posses a Universal/IOA SW/AQ/BG APs I do NOT have Disney. I find myself loving IOA and USF more and more, and getting more value out of the seasonal events at SW/BG.

Why should I get an AP at WDW, and have to pay another admission price to enjoy seasonal offerings. Aren't seasonal offerings intended to create incentive for people to get APs and visit often?

Universal has this right with, Mardi Gras, Summer Concert Series, HHN (is included if you get the Premium AP), The Holidays... So all year long I have something new as an AP holder to go back to the parks, on weekends, weekdays to experience something, and spend money.

Where as at Disney if I want to experience Seasonal Magic, I have to pay an up charge for Mickey's not so scary, Mickey's Very Merry, and Pirate and Princess... eerrr umm... Sure there is food and wine, and flower and garden... but getting less for your money each year... le sigh.

I will eventually get a Disney AP. But I am putting it off as long as I can.

I wonder if there is a decline in AP renewals? They did hook me last year with the fifteen months for the price of twelve. But even if they do that again, I believe I will pass. It's a lot of money to fork over, and I am no longer glad to pay it. They need to keep "wowing" me, not keep disappointing me! We will have one last big trip over Christmas before our passes expire, and then take a break for I don't know how long.

I have never been to Mickey's Scary or Merry, because there's no way in H E double toothpicks I'm going to pay to get into the park on top of the price I paid for the AP.

• Marching along

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    I wonder if there is a decline in AP renewals? They did hook me last year with the fifteen months for the price of twelve. But even if they do that again, I believe I will pass. It's a lot of money to fork over, and I am no longer glad to pay it. They need to keep "wowing" me, not keep disappointing me! We will have one last big trip over Christmas before our passes expire, and then take a break for I don't know how long.

I have never been to Mickey's Scary or Merry, because there's no way in H E double toothpicks I'm going to pay to get into the park on top of the price I paid for the AP.
    Absolutely agree! I know a lot of former passholders who now get the play-four-day special or ONLY go to things like the Halloween or Christmas events. Why buy an AP that excludes you from special events?!

For me, it's becoming an issue of value vs. hassle. There were major attraction or transportation downtimes the last three times we've visited. And if we're not staying on property, good luck getting on rides like TSMM because the fast passes are gone before we can get there... unless we haul the kids out of bed at 6am and scramble to get to the parks.

We did renew our passes this week, but only because we had enough Disney Visa points to pay for them. And we won't be spending a week at WDW in December... for the first time in nearly a decade. The value just isn't worth the hassle anymore.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I haven't renewed my AP for WDW since it expired in 2001. I have no interest to. If the Fantasyland expansion comes out well, then maybe I'll reconsider. Until then... I have no reason to even buy a one day ticket to any of the Disney parks. If I need a Disney fix, I'll go to DTD for an afternoon.

Busch Gardens... Yes please! That park has grown by leaps and bounds over the years (and is going to be even better next year when the new Cheetah Hunt coaster and cheetah encounter animal area open). It's truly the most underrated park in Florida. I've purchased the Florida resident FunCards (pay for a day, come back all year... though you still have to pay for parking) a few times and they were totally worth it. Now though, I'm considering going a step up and getting a proper AP. I had such a wonderful time when I visited the park earlier this month it really made me think seriously about getting one for the first time. And right now they're doing a special like what WDW did once, 15 months for the price of 12.

I say save your money for WDW until after the Fantasyland expansion is done. Sure that won't be for another 2-3 years, but it'll probably be worth it in the long run.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I haven't renewed my AP for WDW since it expired in 2001. I have no interest to. If the Fantasyland expansion comes out well, then maybe I'll reconsider. Until then... I have no reason to even buy a one day ticket to any of the Disney parks. If I need a Disney fix, I'll go to DTD for an afternoon.

Busch Gardens... Yes please! That park has grown by leaps and bounds over the years (and is going to be even better next year when the new Cheetah Hunt coaster and cheetah encounter animal area open). It's truly the most underrated park in Florida. I've purchased the Florida resident FunCards (pay for a day, come back all year... though you still have to pay for parking) a few times and they were totally worth it. Now though, I'm considering going a step up and getting a proper AP. I had such a wonderful time when I visited the park earlier this month it really made me think seriously about getting one for the first time. And right now they're doing a special like what WDW did once, 15 months for the price of 12.

I say save your money for WDW until after the Fantasyland expansion is done. Sure that won't be for another 2-3 years, but it'll probably be worth it in the long run.
    I say just get the APs to SW/BG etc. I hate paying for parking and a lot of times if you go 3 times you have paid the difference.

That all being said, I do the money payment thing just because seeing it come out of my bank account reminds me to go sometimes. But for my Premium AP at UO and my SW/AQ/BG AP I pay a total of 30.00 a month. For me personally that is the price of 2 or 3 movies, which if I didn't live in Florida, and was stuck back in Salt Lake i would be spending my money that way. So instead I replace that with epic theme park adventures. The Premium Universal is soooo worth it for HHN, Express Pass after 4pm, and free Valet Parking... not to mention 15% off all food and beverage (so that butter beer addiction costs 15% less lol).

• Another trip down I-4

This may be a Disney forum, but I think you may have convinced me to step it up to Premium from Preferred at Universal, KingEric!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleKicks View Post
    This may be a Disney forum, but I think you may have convinced me to step it up to Premium from Preferred at Universal, KingEric!
    Well if you are ever heading to UO or SW hit me up! I love going!!!!