Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Embrace the kitsch!

Re: Disney to start playing nasty with Universal?

Quote Originally Posted by celticdar View Post
    I don't know if this is true or not, but reading that blurb makes me question the "nasty" part. If Disney is intent on buying out the theme park rights and the term "buying out" still means what it used to mean in business (one party making an offer to purchase something, the second party agreeing or renegotiating another price, both parties coming to an amiable agreement and money changing hands to close the deal), then this would hardly be a hostile takeover. Now, the arm twisting and forceful conversations over the terms would be a different matter entirely. It might be interesting to be a fly on the wall for that. As long as Disney is willing to pay a fair price for those rights, and aren't trying to con their way through the negotiations, this sounds like business as usual.
    Go look up "DL Hotel monorail station." Learn the story of how Disney got Wrather Corp to sell the hotel. These people don't care how many enemies they make or how many bridges they burn in getting what they want. That's why "Roger Rabbit 2" never got made. That's why it took 25 years to get Star Tours updated. That's how Dreamworks got started. How DCA got made. Why Disney's been coasting on its name for the last 15 years. Michael Eisner and his ilk were so proud they would rather let the talent walk out the door and build its ideas for the competition than admit somebody else might have a better idea.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Go look up "DL Hotel monorail station." Learn the story of how Disney got Wrather Corp to sell the hotel. These people don't care how many enemies they make or how many bridges they burn in getting what they want. That's why "Roger Rabbit 2" never got made. That's why it took 25 years to get Star Tours updated. That's how Dreamworks got started. How DCA got made. Why Disney's been coasting on its name for the last 15 years. Michael Eisner and his ilk were so proud they would rather let the talent walk out the door and build its ideas for the competition than admit somebody else might have a better idea.
    Bingo.

See also Lasseter, John, career history of.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

As long as Disney is willing to pay a fair price for those rights, and aren't trying to con their way through the negotiations, this sounds like business as usual.
    Concepts of "fair" and "con" are irrelevant in these affairs, as is "good guy/bad guy."

These are not megacorps dealing with hapless customers. These are megacorps dealing with each other.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Roger Rabbit 2 is happening... just saying.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Hey you know what they say! If you can't beat 'em, buy them out!

I just really don't want to see Marvel characters in a Disney park. It would ruin the ambiance for me.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

They can just retheme all the rides but Spiderman....it would be a HUGE lost for Spiderman but Potter will make up for it.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

I wouldn't care if Disney bought out Universal. I don't really like Universal's parks anyway.
    Last edited by CaptainEO,ATIS; 12-04-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• All-American

This sounds like it might be true... makes a lot more sense than waiting for Universal to violate the contract and lose it, anyway. What I don't understand is why Disney paid so many billions of stockholder dollars for a company that has already had all of its best franchises made into movies in recent years, whose theme park rights are held by another company, and who generally doesn't fit the Disney image that well.

Quote Originally Posted by Santana View Post
    I just really don't want to see Marvel characters in a Disney park. It would ruin the ambiance for me.
    Agreed. Don't count on that stopping Disney though.

Times like this, I really miss the Power Rangers. Compared to the Punisher and Deathpool, they really fit the bill and were a much simpler buy.....all they had to do was better marketing. Marvel has cartoons on every childs channel (exagerating) it already has movies made by all these different companies, video games, themepark and merchendising everywhere. When I heared of the buy, i thought you had to be an idiot to do that.......I still do. Now the Rangers are probably gonna end up at Universal.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    What I don't understand is why Disney paid so many billions of stockholder dollars for a company that has already had all of its best franchises made into movies in recent years, whose theme park rights are held by another company, and who generally doesn't fit the Disney image that well.
    Because Disney is no longer primarily interested in generating new content, but in managing brands. It's a marketing company, not a creative one.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Believe me, this is one issue, where I am keeping my ear VERY close to the ground. There are rumblings all around town about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I wish I still had the link but concept images of a Marvel Park blew my mind when I saw them.
    I saw that it was a DC park with Batman and some Superman theme.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMoose View Post
    I saw that it was a DC park with Batman and some Superman theme.
    Here is the old concept art for the Gotham City Island at Islands of Adventure

a pretty sweet land

• Minion

I don't know if this is true or not, but reading that blurb makes me question the "nasty" part. If Disney is intent on buying out the theme park rights and the term "buying out" still means what it used to mean in business (one party making an offer to purchase something, the second party agreeing or renegotiating another price, both parties coming to an amiable agreement and money changing hands to close the deal), then this would hardly be a hostile takeover. Now, the arm twisting and forceful conversations over the terms would be a different matter entirely. It might be interesting to be a fly on the wall for that. As long as Disney is willing to pay a fair price for those rights, and aren't trying to con their way through the negotiations, this sounds like business as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Disney takes over
    When Michael Eisner became chairman and CEO of Walt Disney Productions in 1984, he wanted to get out of Disney's agreement with the Wrather Corporation and bring the Disneyland Hotel under the Walt Disney Company's umbrella. Wrather refused to sell, just as he had refused Walt Disney many years before. Wrather died two months after Eisner took over at Disney, and five years later, in 1989, Disney bought the entire Wrather company. At the time Wrather's company also owned the RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach, Calif., the Spruce Goose, The Lone Ranger and the Lassie TV series. Though Disney kept the hotel, it has since sold the other assets that came with the purchase.
    Just in case someone wants to be lazy and NOT look it up, but I can't see this move making Disney any more money, at this point I'm waiting on WDC to just try and completely buy Universal Studios theme parks and all....
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast