Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Disney to start playing nasty with Universal?

[QUOTE=ORD84;1056353792 I'm waiting on WDC to just try and completely buy Universal Studios theme parks and all....[/QUOTE]

I would think that as a possibility if Blackstone didn't own half of them, and SeaWorld/Discovery Cove/Aquaitca/Bush Gardens/Adventure Island, and the soon to open Lego Land

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    What I don't understand is why Disney paid so many billions of stockholder dollars for a company that has already had all of its best franchises made into movies in recent years, whose theme park rights are held by another company, and who generally doesn't fit the Disney image that well.
    Because Disney is no longer primarily interested in generating new content, but in managing brands. It's a marketing company, not a creative one.
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    Just in case someone wants to be lazy and NOT look it up, but I can't see this move making Disney any more money, at this point I'm waiting on WDC to just try and completely buy Universal Studios theme parks and all....
    Wikipedia missed the most interesting part of the story. Wrather Corp refused to sell even after Wrather died. At that time, they paid a small fee to Disney for monorail service to the hotel. Disney threatened to raise this fee so high that the hotel would have been forced to discontinue the service, losing a major selling point. They sold.

That was my point about playing nasty. Once Disney decides it wants something, the end justifies the means. This started w/ Michael Eisner, who had a way of turning everything into a peeing contest. It cost Disney their working relationships w/ Lucas and Speilberg.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123