Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Disney World - Fantasyland Project Tracker

Apparently they're six months ahead of schedule and the Circus portion could open anywhere between the coming April to July. Mermaid and Beast areas are either late Summer or early Fall
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chris2fett View Post
    What I see here is Disney playing it safe, doing a lot more of the same old thing. It's a big land expansion acreage wise, for sure. It will be nicely themed and hopefully maintained.

This is/was Disney's plan to counter Potter. Really? Now we have a family friendly 7 Dwarf coaster
    in the works, which may or may not be a unique E-ticket type ride experience, which was literally a last minute change.
    Despite what some people say, this project was not about responding to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It is not even about injecting something new into the Magic Kingdom. It is about operational issues and the park's capacity which was slowly diminished over the years. Disney does not want to draw in more people with this expansion because it is designed to handle expected crowd growth, not generate even higher levels of attendance.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Despite what some people say, this project was not about responding to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It is not even about injecting something new into the Magic Kingdom. It is about operational issues and the park's capacity which was slowly diminished over the years. Disney does not want to draw in more people with this expansion because it is designed to handle expected crowd growth, not generate even higher levels of attendance.
    Well I don't see how the original plans for 5 girl-oriented meet n greets, one new dark ride, and one expanded spinner ride all in the same section of the same park was Disney's idea of handling expected growth. Now if the Snow White mine coaster is done to good scale, the lines for this ride and Mermaid could help ease lines in various areas of the park elsewhere and could make up for the upcoming loss of the old Snow White dark ride.

But we already have a crowd growth situation, not just in Magic Kingdom but in all the four parks. For the love of god, I would like to see some expansions done in all the parks before the 50th anniversary in 2021. They're gonna have a death wish on their hands if DAK and DHS remain in the same conditions they're still in.

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Apparently they're six months ahead of schedule and the Circus portion could open anywhere between the coming April to July. Mermaid and Beast areas are either late Summer or early Fall
    Got excited till I realize you were talking about 2012 not 2011.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Well I don't see how the original plans for 5 girl-oriented meet n greets, one new dark ride, and one expanded spinner ride all in the same section of the same park was Disney's idea of handling expected growth. Now if the Snow White mine coaster is done to good scale, the lines for this ride and Mermaid could help ease lines in various areas of the park elsewhere and could make up for the upcoming loss of the old Snow White dark ride.
    Hourly capacity is what really killed the elaborate Meet and Greets, and that was beginning before Rasulo and Staggs changed jobs.

Attractions, and not open space, being the means of increasing capacity are problematic to Disney. They are expensive to build and operate, and if they spread out crowds without increasing them enough then people will do more attractions in a day, which means they are spending less time in restaurants and stores. There has still been no realization that guest spending is not derived from forcing people into places where they can spend (like the parks are some sort of mall gone astray by having "free" attractions inside), but by offering up compelling experiences and merchandise that is ultimately part of the larger experience.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Hourly capacity is what really killed the elaborate Meet and Greets, and that was beginning before Rasulo and Staggs changed jobs.

Attractions, and not open space, being the means of increasing capacity are problematic to Disney. They are expensive to build and operate, and if they spread out crowds without increasing them enough then people will do more attractions in a day, which means they are spending less time in restaurants and stores. There has still been no realization that guest spending is not derived from forcing people into places where they can spend (like the parks are some sort of mall gone astray by having "free" attractions inside), but by offering up compelling experiences and merchandise that is ultimately part of the larger experience.

Oddly enough, it's the lack of attractions at WDW that keep me from making frequent return trips. I like packing in my day and without hopping around.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Oddly enough, it's the lack of attractions at WDW that keep me from making frequent return trips. I like packing in my day and without hopping around.
    I think after the FLE they really should expand DHS and add attractions to DAK, it really is a shame that on a moderately busy day that you can STILL do those two parks in half a day...

For me it's not so much the lack of attractions but the types of attractions, I'm sorry I can't repeat something like Soarin' indefinitely without some kind of update... but an additional dark ride or two for DHS and DAK would balance out those two parks greatlyas of right now there's not a whole lot for my nephew who's three and I to do together...those parks are quite thrill ride or height restriction happy and they should mix it up a bit..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    I think after the FLE they really should expand DHS and add attractions to DAK, it really is a shame that on a moderately busy day that you can STILL do those two parks in half a day...
    Agreed. They should finally build Beastly Kingdom, which would definetly give the park extra things to do. They would need to slightly adjust the land because so people may think it's simply a harry potter world ripoff, but I don't think it would be to difficult to change it. They would need to move the festival of the lion king show someplace and it would finally give them the chance to put it in africa where it belongs. Then they could fix everything in dinoland except the actual dinosaur ride, which is actually pretty fun. They also could fix the Disco Yeti while they're at it.

Regarding DHS,They should replace Echo Lake with Lucasland and maybe bringing in some Roger Rabbit stuff in the streets of america. They should also bring in a Bugs Life overlay of the honey i shrunk the audience playground, build the monsters inc coaster and replacing the little mermaid show with something pixar related to really complete the pixarland. Also, I think they could update the great movie ride and bring in some more modern films.

^ I remember alot of Imagineers kept saying that it was too late for them to build a Beastly Kingdom because of Universal IOA's Lost Continent area. But I think that's a ridiculous reason to not go forward with this land. Universal has a dinosaur area much like Disney does and Universal never concerned itself with being a copycat. Besides I believe that Disney can make a really good Beastly Kingdom unique enough from the Lost Continent. Half of that land has already been lost to Harry Potter (and I expect in time the other half will be lost to Harry Potter as well). So I think there's still a chance for Disney to make some sort of land devoted to mythical animals in DAK even if it's not the original Beastly Kingdom from the early concepts. A thrill ride can be done to dragons, it doesn't have to be a coaster if they're THAT concerned with not copying IoA. They just need to get creative.

^ I remember alot of Imagineers kept saying that it was too late for them to build a Beastly Kingdom because of Universal IOA's Lost Continent area.
    What? How do Dinosaurs and Mythical creatures have anything to do with each other? Anyways, I was thinking maybe they could build a sort of an Expedition Everest type ride, except you ride through a massive tower and then once you get to the top, you see a big Dragon animatronic. Then you go backwards down the tower, dodging flames that are released from the walls like your being chased by the dragon. Maybe not exactly the same as my description, but something like it would be nice. Then they could have a Jungle Cruise type ride where you float down the river and see animatronic fantasia characters like the Pegasus, satyrs, centaurs and other mythical creatures. I don't know. Just a thought. Of course, it'll probably end up being just like Western River Expedition. A massive and expensive, never built addition to the parks.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch626626 View Post
    What? How do Dinosaurs and Mythical creatures have anything to do with each other?
    Two different sets of analogous lands. Beastly Kingdom and Merlin Wood of Lost Continent dealt with mythical creatures. DinoLand, USA and Jurassic Park deal with dinosaurs. People say Disney did not want to have a land similar to one already at Islands of Adventure, and Universal showed how the same topic (in this case dinosaurs) can be handled differently than it is done at the park down the interstate.

Two different sets of analogous lands. Beastly Kingdom and Merlin Wood of Lost Continent dealt with mythical creatures. DinoLand, USA and Jurassic Park deal with dinosaurs. People say Disney did not want to have a land similar to one already at Islands of Adventure, and Universal showed how the same topic (in this case dinosaurs) can be handled differently than it is done at the park down the interstate.
    Well I will admit that Universal already had the advantage of owning a very popular dinosaur-themed franchise that they could make a land out of. Disney didn't have that luxury. Still, I'm pretty amazed that Disney blew their chance to make Jurassic Park look like a knockoff since DAK was built in 1998 and IoA was built in 1999. Instead, Disney went the Dinosaur carnival theme route.

Epic fail, Disney. EPIC FAIL.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Well I will admit that Universal already had the advantage of owning a very popular dinosaur-themed franchise that they could make a land out of. Disney didn't have that luxury. Still, I'm pretty amazed that Disney blew their chance to make Jurassic Park look like a knockoff since DAK was built in 1998 and IoA was built in 1999. Instead, Disney went the Dinosaur carnival theme route.

Totes agree. Even if it wasn't "Jurassic Park", Dinoland U.S.A. could have been really amazing.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Metro-Retro Historian

The carnival theme didn't come until later when they figured that they needed to boost their number of attractions in a hurry for very little money. When Dinoland U.S.A first opened it was just themed to a dig site in a small town that has a museum with weird time traveling jeeps. I think Imagineering knew they had to go that route because if they went with a straight prehistoric theme they'd be accused of ripping off Jurassic Park. Even though the island hadn't been built yet at Universal, the movies still existed prior to Animal Kingdom.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 06-28-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    The carnival theme didn't come until later when they figured that they needed to boost their number of attractions in a hurry for very little money. When Dinoland U.S.A first opened it was just themed to a dig site in a small town that has a museum with weird time traveling jeeps. I think Imagineering knew they had to go that route because if they went with a straight prehistoric theme they'd be accused of ripping off Jurassic Park. Even though the island hadn't been built yes at Universal, the movies still existed prior to Animal Kingdom.
    While Islands of Adventure would not open until 1999, Jurassic Park: The Ride had been open at Universal Studios Hollywood since 1996.

Just wondering what is to become of the space where Dumbo currently is after it is moved. Hard to tell from the concept art, since that is usually not the final product, but it appears that they are just going to leave the space open (perhaps to help with traffic flow). Will anything else be moved around within the current FL layout?

Not sure if this has been posted already but without following htis thread all along there is a lot of posts to sort through.

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 01-20-2011, 05:44 AM