Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    It's more cost effective not to offer transportation at all.
    Well, umm, sure. But what does that have to do with this discussion?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Schnemo View Post
    Kind of my point is that a lot of these systems wouldn't need to be invented from scratch.
    The continuous moving people mover goes back to at least 1893, almost a decade before Walt Disney is born. Victor Gruen and Walt Disney advocate their use in urban areas during the 1960s. Despite this 117 year history, the only ones to have been built are demonstration models at World's Fairs, the two WEDway PeopleMovers at Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. Just because the technology exists and is cool, does not mean its application is appropriate for Walt Disney World.

That would actually be easier to implement, since in the beginning it would simply provide an outlet to those who didn't want to use buses.
    Alleviating the prejudice against busses and moving resources away from other uses.

Because even if the medium were equivalently inefficient, the experience would be transformed.
    That may be the case for you, but I personally would rather be stuck standing on a crowded, moving bus than standing on a crowded monorail waiting for traffic clearance.

Disney puts the monorail on their promotional material. They don't highlight the buses.
    They do advertise the Mears coaches used for Magical Express.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    It's more cost effective not to offer transportation at all.
    No it is not. That means people are encouraged to do something else, like rent a car. People could opt to stay off property to offset the rental costs, or even worse, go somewhere else! Disney wants a transit system that encourages people to leave the driving to them, because it maximizes the percentage of spending dollars heading to their coffers.

• Salty Misanthrope

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Despite this 117 year history, the only ones to have been built are demonstration models at World's Fairs, the two WEDway PeopleMovers at Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. Just because the technology exists and is cool, does not mean its application is appropriate for Walt Disney World.
    It's obvious that peoplemovers would be useful in some instances, if not in exactly the same style as the Tomorrowland system. They are deployed and functional all over the world.

I believe we're mostly in agreement about the basic points:
    1. The technology would not need to be invented from scratch.
    2. It hasn't been implemented in many places, so it would feel "new" (or at the very least "different") to most people.
    3. It would be cool.
    4. Disney doesn't want to pay for it.

Also it would then be a "ride" instead of "just a way to get from A to B". The PeopleMover is a beloved attraction and it doesn't even take you anywhere.

That may be the case for you, but I personally would rather be stuck standing on a crowded, moving bus than standing on a crowded monorail waiting for traffic clearance.
    Are you now making the case that the existing bus system is more efficient than the monorail? That has not been true in my experience, and I don't see others making that claim.

Anyway, I'll bet that if the transportation system were actually fun, you wouldn't mind waiting a bit longer than you would for a bus (not that I accept the premise that the new system would be slower than buses).

They do advertise the Mears coaches used for Magical Express.
    Excellent point, because those are actually nice buses. Also, as you know, they need to operate in the real real world. If the Florida government is ever prevented from scuttling the high-speed rail system the people overwhelmingly voted for years ago, there will probably train service directly from the airport, but that's another issue.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Futurama has got this problem solved....
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• враг народа

Blog Entries

It's obvious that peoplemovers would be useful in some instances, if not in exactly the same style as the Tomorrowland system. They are deployed and functional all over the world.

I believe we're mostly in agreement about the basic points:
    1. The technology would not need to be invented from scratch.
    2. It hasn't been implemented in many places, so it would feel "new" (or at the very least "different") to most people.
    3. It would be cool.
    4. Disney doesn't want to pay for it.

Also it would then be a "ride" instead of "just a way to get from A to B". The PeopleMover is a beloved attraction and it doesn't even take you anywhere.
    A Walt Disney World people mover is not going to be the spacious, open aired vehicles of the demonstration WEDway PeopleMovers. They are going to be wide, enclosed vehicles that generate their capacity through standing room. The interiors are going to be a bus. On the outside they will be large concrete structures, about the size of a single or two lane highway overpass.

I do think, if an appropriate application and partner can be found, that Disney should look into implementing a inductively charged light rail system, essentially a full size, transit oriented version of the Red car Trolleys being installed at Disney's California Adventure. Here in Atlanta there is a project underway called the BeltLine, a series of trails and parks that planners and advocates hope will one day include light rail. The renderings for this project that include images of light rail lack the overhead catenary that is still a requisite for electric systems. This omission is not limited to just Atlanta either, and it is done because the overhead wires to do not mesh well with the idea of uncluttered, beautiful cityscapes that is being sold. Inductive charging offers a means of removing those overhead wires. I think the volume of people that Walt Disney World handles, and the crunch times could be a place where one of the transit companies could demonstrate this type of technology.

Are you now making the case that the existing bus system is more efficient than the monorail? That has not been true in my experience, and I don't see others making that claim.
    When it comes to dealing with the biggest crunch point, park closings, the busses have significantly more potential for capacity efficiency than the monorails.

One of the biggest hang ups in the bus system is the loading and unloading of guests in wheelchairs. Again, the biggest problem time is closing when there may be a line of several guests in wheelchairs, all of whom need the dedicated assistance of the driver in loading. This is usually when I see a second bus pull up and begin loading guests separately, because the first bus is still in the process of loading its handicapped passengers.

In another thread I said I think Disney should look into somehow offering more dedicated transportation services to guests using wheelchairs. This is a service that a lot of municipal and county bus systems offer. In some of the larger resorts, it might even be possible to drop off passengers significantly closer to their rooms.

Anyway, I'll bet that if the transportation system were actually fun, you wouldn't mind waiting a bit longer than you would for a bus (not that I accept the premise that the new system would be slower than buses).
    I fail to see how being twenty to sixty feet in the air makes standing in a dark, cramped space fun.

Excellent point, because those are actually nice buses. Also, as you know, they need to operate in the real real world. If the Florida government is ever prevented from scuttling the high-speed rail system the people overwhelmingly voted for years ago, there will probably train service directly from the airport, but that's another issue.
    There is nothing about the Disney Transportation busses that would prevent them from operating in the real world. They are transit grade busses, designed for efficiently loading and unloading passengers.

• When Will It Return?

Gotta say... I LOL when I hear the word "efficient" used to describe the WDW buses.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    Gotta say... I LOL when I hear the word "efficient" used to describe the WDW buses.
    Not surprising. You have repeatedly made your prejudice quite clear.

• Salty Misanthrope

Remind me never to visit Lazy Boy World, where, if you don't like buses, you will be restricted to the use of a claustrophobic, standing room only, dark, cramped eyesore.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    When it comes to dealing with the biggest crunch point, park closings, the busses have significantly more potential for capacity efficiency than the monorails.
    Sure, buses have basically infinite potential capacity, but why mention that when you're so otherwise consumed with the limitations of the real world?

There is nothing about the Disney Transportation busses that would prevent them from operating in the real world.
    Welcome to my previous point.

In regards to the airport buses, it shows that when Disney's hands are tied (in that they don't own all the land from the airport to WDW), the best they can do is buses. They can certainly do better when they're holding all the cards.

In relation to Disney's promotion of the buses, they do advertise the airport buses but also put some effort into making them special. They don't sing songs about magic and then show you the resort buses. They put the monorail in the ads, because it's special.

Good grief, you guys are still talking about this? Why all the passion on this issue? Some of us think the buses are fine. Some of us don't. What else is there to say? Eleven pages of arguing about it? Really?

The discussion has been of interest to a few of us. If it's not to you, then don't read.

Um, sorry if I was offensive. I didn't mean to be. Just curious that this particular issue invokes so much passion, that's all I meant

Thanks for the clarification, lily - no offense taken. The above is my standard response to someone who is amazed that a thread is still continuing, or even sometimes if they want it shut down because they don't see any more value to it. As long as people are contributing and discussing, then it's a good thing. Feel free to read back through some of the posts - you might find 'em interesting.

• Please pull the yellowtab

This thread definitely has merit. I would have been just as skeptical as lily23 if it weren't for my recent trip to Orlando.

The biggest qualm I had while I was at WDW was just how to get from 'Point A' to 'Point B'. When you take into consideration the immense size of the WDW property the very idea of walking is just not practical, especially if you visit with small children. And as such, modes of transportation becomes a major issue. Also, one other thing I noticed is that not only is walking not practical, it's not even an option... because there are no sidewalks on the major streets that surround the parks!
    Last edited by 2ndStar2theRight; 01-18-2011 at 11:42 AM.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

• Pilot EdForceOne

In regards to the airport buses, it shows that when Disney's hands are tied (in that they don't own all the land from the airport to WDW), the best they can do is buses. They can certainly do better when they're holding all the cards.
    No - that has little to do with the constraints LB referred to and you keep missing. It has to do with safety standards. The spacing and blocked required for train systems or many other moving carriage systems prevents 'stacking' capacity like you can do with free moving system such as buses.

They put the monorail in the ads, because it's special.
    Special and antiquated. It's so ineffective that it had to be supplemented by direct buses and hasn't been expanded in almost 20 years. It's like a weekend roadster... still fun, but you park it during the week and drive your other car 90% of the time.

Buses may be unsexy - but if your beef is over wait and transportation efficiency (IE, least wait and fastest path) they are the best answer.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast