Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617

• Banned User

Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Just to throw a monkey into the works, StevenW, I am an on-site guest, I (usually) fly in from Dallas, and I always rent a car. There's a percentage of the average US visitors who just think it's more convenient, even though it's a bit more cost to the vacation.
    I did say "unlikely", as opposed to "never". There's some wiggle room. Did you use it to go to the parks? Do you avoid the bus?

Actually, I rented cars to go there before Disney started to offer free airport transfers. I kept my car at the hotel for most of the trip. Only used it to visit Downtown Disney. So this really means the car isn't used much. I used the bus and enjoyed the convenience. I can see why people are beginning to notice the bus service is getting worse. Decline by Degrees?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    I used the bus and enjoyed the convenience. I can see why people are beginning to notice the bus service is getting worse. Decline by Degrees?
    Probably a good example. And with people paying more it makes one of the "perks" look even worse.

• Timelord

I'd like to chime in here. I've been holding off on saying anything for awhile, but in light of my two most recent trips to WDW, which were the first I've had since I was a child, I wanted to share my perspective on this topic.

My recent trips to WDW were in August of 2010 and January 2011. Both times I used the buses as my only means of transportation. August was a two day trip on property and January was five days on property.

August being the peak season for WDW, I didn't find the buses that crowded during the day. I did however find them quite delayed. And of course, at night and before/after park closing it was a nightmare to get out of the parks. Worst experience ever.

January was an enjoyable experience, besides the problems again at park closing of course. I went back and forth between parks and on site hotels multiple times each day using the buses and never had to wait more than 10 minutes. The only time I ever waited longer than 10 minutes was at 1am at Pleasure Island for a bus back to my hotel.

I only really have two or three improvements I'd like to see for the WDW buses. First would be, as already mentioned, better theming. It's like they didn't even try. They theme city buses better for marketing purposes sometimes.

Secondly, when loading passengers on the bus, don't make people in wheelchairs go through the queue at the parks. This seemed to be hit or miss, but many times at park closing I'd see disabled guests ushered into the normal lines by cast members while waiting for buses and boarded just like everyone else. These guests should be getting priority seating on the first available bus even if it means I have to wait longer for my own.

Lastly, don't pack guests onto the buses like sardines. It gets done on city buses, and I understand why they do it, but it takes away from the experience. Either have more buses running, or cough up the money to build a better transportation system that removes buses from the equation completely.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Did you use it to go to the parks? Do you avoid the bus?
    About the only time I use the busses is when I get a totally killer parking spot at one of the parks, and I'm planning to finish the day at that park. In that situation I take a bus back to my hotel for my afternoon powernap, and then bus back to the park for the evening. So of course mid-day there's never any big crowd on the bus. Other than that, it's rental car all the way!

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Spare me the drama.. the 'I only should pay for what I use' isn't how you run or cost an operation anywhere so it really has no value in this discussion either.
    Spare me the word twisting. I never said anything like 'I only should pay for what I use' and you know it. What I did ASK was, if everyone is paying a "hidden fee" to park a car on WDW property elsewhere than Downtown Disney, what are the Resort guests who aren't parking a car paying for? The usage of the buses? Well, scratch that bit about the buses being *free* eh?

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Of course, if you convince too many people to get a car, then you only make that experience worse.
    No, I don't think so. At worst the queue line for the parking lot tram gets worse, and waiting in that queue is a choice. Now, yes, those lots are rather big & the outer rim parking spaces might be quite a walk from the park's entrance. Would I still skip the trams? Absolutely. There might be a backup getting out of the parks too. Would I still skip the buses? Absolutely. Going to the parks when they are crowded to the max is also a choice. Make that choice, and you'll likely hate every outcome of every single choice that stems from that one.

One thing I would like to see the WDW lots do is become more pedestrian-friendly. The parking lot trams should be a choice between walking or not, not between me & my family's safety. Make a wrong choice walking out of a park, and we'd have to Frogger it across the lot's tram route. MK's lot requires pedestrians to Frogger it across the tram route anyway, without so much as a crosswalk from what I saw. I know FL doesn't have the same pedestrian right-of-way laws that CA has, but Walt Disney World could take a few more pro-active steps to ensure their guests' safety besides offering them use of the tram.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    You know... I only ate 78.546% of that hamburger...
    ...but even at 0.003%, you still got something out of paying for the burger. People who don't park a car are getting exactly 0% from the hidden fee they've apparently paid. If that fee also applies to the buses, the buses are NOT free, and the guests aren't getting anywhere close to the value that people parking a car are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    You also need to consider that there are a number of people like myself who would rather road trip to Walt Disney world than pay ridiculous airfare. After all those hours of driving the last thing I want to do is get back in the car. Even if it takes me longer to get to my destination, I'd still rather use the public transportation than my own car. I'm still in favor of something more novel than a bus, though.
    Oh, I wouldn't be in favor of abolishing the Disney buses. I never have been for that. I agree that they are, at the moment, the most practical tool for the job they need to do. That's why I'd like to see the buses plussed - more theming, better appearance, more efficient operation.

Expansion of the TTC to make it a 21st century-style Transportation and Ticket Center sounds like a marvelous idea.
    Last edited by PeoplemoverMatt; 02-15-2011 at 08:32 PM.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    Oh, I wouldn't be in favor of abolishing the Disney buses. I never have been for that. I agree that they are, at the moment, the most practical tool for the job they need to do. That's why I'd like to see the buses plussed - more theming, better appearance, more efficient operation.
    At last, after 245 messages, we are in complete agreement, Matt. I KNEW we could get there!!!

Oh, and even though someone said that you pay for your car parking in the hotel fee, I'm not sure that's entirely true. I know there's no line item for "car parking", but then there's no line item for "bus transportation" either. It's all covered by the resort fee, and it's impossible to say what monies go where. But yes, I'd bet some of that goes to the parking budget, while some of it goes toward transporation.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617