Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

^^ A good example of that is Port Orleans. French Quarter used to have its own buses. WONDERFUL. Then they merged them together with Riverside and now no one has good bus service there. It takes longer for the bus to make it all the way around Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter than it does to get to the Magic Kingdom!

Such a great resort, such horrible transportation!
    Last edited by Dustysage; 12-23-2010 at 10:14 AM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleKicks View Post
    Buses are only good for if you plan on enjoying a few too many margaritas at the Mexican pavilion.

Rent a car for all other instances.
    Yeah that. And even then... Start drinking at 1pm, fall asleep in the America show at 4 or 5, good to drive back by the time they close.

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    ^^ A good example of that is Port Orleans. French Quarter used to have its own buses. WONDERFUL. Then they merged them together with Riverside and now no one has good bus service there. It takes longer for the bus to make it all the way around the rest than it does to get to the Magic Kingdom!

Such a great resort, such horrible transportation!
    During peak hours, they don't share a bus. When they do, mid-day, it's tedious.

I made the mistake of taking a bus from Downtown Disney to the Boardwalk. It stopped at at the Swan, Dolphin, Beach, and Yacht Club resorts first. It took forever.

No resorts should share busses, ever, in my opinion. If that means half-empty busses, so be it. Time is money when you're at WDW.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• When Will It Return?

So, you're saying anyone staying at Pop Century during off-peak time, say mid January, shouldn't have hardly any bus troubles?

After 2 stays at All-Star Sports thoroughly frustrated with the bus system, I'm taking a flyer on Pop Century.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Timelord

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    So, you're saying anyone staying at Pop Century during off-peak time, say mid January, shouldn't have hardly any bus troubles?

After 2 stays at All-Star Sports thoroughly frustrated with the bus system, I'm taking a flyer on Pop Century.
    I'm going to be staying at the Pop at the same time as you. From what I know, the busses should be fine. Mid Jan is one of the slowest times of the year at WDW.

• Minion

15-20 minute waits for buses in late August. Stayed at Coronado Springs which has an extra stop at one water park wasn't that bad.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I haven't had too much of a problem with the busses, but the worst is definitely cramming so many people in like a can of sardines it's not even funny. I value my personal space, kthxbai.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

When me and Topher went to WDW in 2009 yeah the buses were packed %65 of the time, but the entire trip we never had a issue with the bus system we used it solely as our only transportation.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I'm still at the point where having a vacation from driving is among the things I enjoy about my WDW trips, but there has been a noticeable and steady decline in the bus service over the last five years.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Yes, the WDW bus system is terrible.

There was a time when the buses ran quickly and not stuffed to capacity, but those days are long over. Today, you'll be crammed into a bus and if you are an able-bodied person, you'll likely also need to stand for your entire trip as well.

While that may be acceptable for a city transportation system, it just isn't magic or acceptable for an expensive Disney vacation. That's the reason that Walt had boats and Monorails.

But today's Disney is cheap and doesn't really care about your happiness or safety (at least when it comes to the buses). You'll walk all day in the hot Florida sun at the parks and then stuffed into a bus and forced to stand all the way back to your hotel holding on to your kids, packages and hope that the bus doesn't turn or stop suddenly.

We've seen people go flying inside the buses. I've wrenched my shoulder as a bus stopped suddenly, sending me backwards into the metal handrail above a seat (while still trying to hold on tight to the handrail above me).

The biggest weakness at Disney World (even more than the poor upkeep of the park, declining value, and staleness) is the HORRIBLE transportation system.

It absolutely ruins the magic of a Disney World vacation.

Rent a car.
    This is an interesting thread because the other day I was commenting at how WELL I think the WDW buses function...all things considered. Think about the fact that there are 100+ WDW bus routes. I stayed at the AKV and then BWV a week before Christmas and, besides having to wait 25 minutes for a DtD bus at 9pm in 35 degree weather, had no complaints. Maybe we just got lucky, but it seems like the bus we wanted was always either waiting for us or on its way in less than 10 minutes.

There is enough walking involved from the front gates of the parks/your hotel room to the bus stop. I don't know how I could stand walking even further to the parking lots. With a car at the MK, your journey would go like this: park at parking lot > tram to TTC > monorail to MK > walk to gate. With the bus, you eliminate two of these steps.

Ideally, I prefer to stay at the Epcot resorts so that you can boat/walk to both Epcot and DHS. The boats are my preferred mode of WDW transportation. I know that many people complain about the buses, but the monorail is where I really have complaints - talk about cramming people in. Not to mention the fact that the monorail always smells like a barn...

I was there in late May had had no trouble with the buses. It was my first trip staying in the parks, and with out a car. I was a bit nervous, but the only time it got a bit busy was when we tried to leave right after the fireworks one night.

Being on vacation in the best place on earth we took it all in stride and never let it bother us. We had a good time waiting and watching the other guests My wife and I would remember those days with the kids being small with fondness now.

Best thing is plan your bus runs avoiding the busiest times, and if you can't, enjoy the other guest misery LOL!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

If you are looking to avoid the end of day crush, just take your time getting out of the park. The busses will continue to run until Security gives the all clear. Visit some of the stores that remain open. Just stroll in the open walkways. On several occasions I have been the last person to leave a park and that means a very empty bus to take back to my resort, and a few times it was just myself and the driver.

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by isny
    Mid Jan is one of the slowest times of the year at WDW.
    Hence my frustration with the bus system while staying at All-Star Sports. 30min waits for a bus to anywhere were normal each of the three times I annually stayed there (Jan '06, '08, '09). It got to the point where our strategy for going to MK or Epcot became take whichever bus to either came first, and use the monorails from there. Park Hopping was always a 45-60min trip, regardless of where point A & point B were. If my party had a late dinner at a resort and wanted to get from that resort back to All-Stars at around 11pm, we knew we'd have to go through Downtown Disney to do it, and doing that combined with the wait times for the buses clocked the one way trip at an AVERAGE of 80mins. There's NO reason why that should happen in off-season time other than low bus capacity due to slashing the number of buses operating on the routes, aka slashing the day's operating budget.

So, if staying at Pop accomplishes nothing else, its location should lead to some travel time savings. I keep kicking around the idea of having a rental car, but I'm having problems justifing the cost on hatred of the bus system alone. Some people I know, the Alveys for example, swear up & down that spending money to save time is worth it regardless of the amount. However, I just had 5 days of work washed away from the SoCal rains (get ready rest of the country!), and I don't buy Christmas gifts on a credit card. It's hard to justify any non-survival related expense at the moment.
    Last edited by PeoplemoverMatt; 12-24-2010 at 12:10 AM.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    I'm still at the point where having a vacation from driving is among the things I enjoy about my WDW trips, but there has been a noticeable and steady decline in the bus service over the last five years.
    Living in Albany and working downtown, I take the bus to go to work. I darned well ain't gonna wait around for any buses while on vacation!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

If I were in charge of WDW, I would make the case for a PRT (Personal Rapid Transit) system. I would want to get rid of all those buses, and drivers to help the bottom line. Provide a clean, safe, efficient way for people to get from point A to point B.

Let's face it, the WDW transportation system is out of control, with accidents, waste, infrastructure decay, labor, all just out of control.

Disney as a business, get a grip. Install a cost effective system that not only improves the guest experience but will add value to the resort over decades not just the next quarter.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast