Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 246
  1. #46

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brea, CA
    Posts
    3,644

    Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

    Hi everyone! Thanks for all the info.

    I'm staying at Port Orleans Riverside in mid-June and I had a question regarding their transportation system. On the map, I see there are 4 stops at Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter. My question is: In what order to the busses go to each stop? That way I can just walk to the last stop and have the bus take me directly to the parks.

    Thanks!

  2. #47

    • When Will It Return?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    1,349

    Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    While I liked you pics of the busses in Tokyo, I'd be willing to bet that not only does Tokyo move far less people on any given day than in WDW, but I'd also bet that WDW has far more destinations to cover than Tokyo does. Also, the bus system in WDW is dynamic, in that the busses are radio dispatched to their locations, and those locations can change at a moment's notice if there's a need. Now, it could be argued that the dispatch system could use some help. . .
    I believe "They should stop doing what they are doing & have always been doing and try a better way" was the general point I was trying to make.

    "Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

  3. #48

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    700

    Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    It's a nice idea but a very costly project that would yield little to no return on investment.

    Most people have no idea that the buses are not working as well as they could be. They just blindly heed Disney's advice to allow 1-2 hours for travel inside the resort on the bus system like sheep, and feel so privledged that they can ride a Disney bus & not need a rental car. For some reason it never occurs to them that requiring 1-2 hours for travel inside the resort is rather ludicrous given the distances in question. Yes, WDW is large but it's not that large.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    First, run them on a schedule. Tokyo Disney Resort has bus stops to places inside and outside of the TDR that resemble the bus stops outside of WDW parks. Every single bus stop has a posted schedule for that bus route showing when the bus will arrive at each stop on its route to the minute, given a certain tolerance which is also posted on the sign. Moreover, the fact that I know this without knowing a single shred of Japanese shows that they even bothered to post the sign in BOTH Japanese and English! Those are huge steps that TDR has made to demonstrate to their patrons how much our business is valued and how much they are taking our experience into consideration.

    There's NO reason why WDW can't implement this same system for their buses, other than they don't want to have to put the expectations necessary to do it on the CMs on their bus routes. It takes a lot of effort, and discipline in order to make those buses run on time in Tokyo, and would at WDW as well. Fortunately that sort of effort and discipline comes included with every order of the Japanese culture. American culture, not so much.

    Secondly, the real problem is that the look and feel of the bus is the exact same look and feel I get while riding any city's city bus. Only difference is the city bus won't point out some highlights of Epcot since I'm not going there. Other than that, it's really the same, and I don't ride city buses for a good reason. They're unreliable cattle cars that make predicting travel time impossible without including insane tolerances that inevitably lead to hours of wasted time per day! How do you make them more cool and Disney? Try this:


    Make them look like DISNEY buses. Disney is much more than just a name.


    Make the inside look DISNEY, not "Orlando Transit".
    Note the many lighting fixtures, and the seats are done like Mickey's trousers!
    Not pictured is MICKEY MOUSE, not some no-name announcer guy coming on the PA and announcing where we're going! Are you listening WDW???


    Imagine being able to grip one of these instead of a cold metal bar next time you have to stand on a WDW Disney bus. It might just make the experience more tolerable.


    It really is about the tiniest of details. They make a HUGE difference!

    Ok, I admit, all those pictures were from Tokyo, and too often we bring up what Tokyo's doing as answer to what WDW should be doing. While Tokyo isn't the answer to everything, it really is the answer to a lot of things. Tokyo doesn't just spend money to spend money. Tokyo spends money in all the right places, and all those little details combine to make a really big difference. WDW would have no problem spending just a little bit more to cover all those details too, but they simply choose not to because they rightly believe their guests by & large won't know the difference. That shouldn't be seen as a valid excuse. We DO notice the details!!!

    Wow, great pictures. They do get your point across. While buses like these wouldn't solve WDW fundamental problems, they would go a long way towards making the guest feel valued, and feeling good about the time they are spending

  4. #49

    • Nutty about Disney parks
    • Online

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,696

    Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    While I liked you pics of the busses in Tokyo, I'd be willing to bet that not only does Tokyo move far less people on any given day than in WDW, but I'd also bet that WDW has far more destinations to cover than Tokyo does. Also, the bus system in WDW is dynamic, in that the busses are radio dispatched to their locations, and those locations can change at a moment's notice if there's a need. Now, it could be argued that the dispatch system could use some help. . .
    If you look at Tokyo Disney Resort is just as compact as Disneyland Anaheim. You can just walk or take the monorail to almost every destination in the resort. But since guests at TDR have to pay to use the Disney monorail, the buses are available as a cheap alternative. But damn I am impressed with those photos. It never occured to me how different in look those buses are in comparison to WDW.

    I cant believe though that the buses must constantly change their routes every 5 minds at WDW. That can get pretty annoying. I do believe that a structured bus route schedule would be a good start. But they should have more buses on hand during park closing when demand for transportation is at its peak. I think the bottom line is that Disney is using too many cost saving measures by forcing resorts to share buses and such. I wouldnt mind if they just added more buses to relieve the crowd stress.

  5. #50

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,417

    Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

    To be honest I don't go to Disney World to ride the bus, boat or monorail (though I do love the monorails). So the transportation doesn't really make or break my experience. It's expected there is no other place like Disney World it really is it own world and there needs to be some sort of mass transportation and the buses DO work. If you go to Disney World and expect magic in you're transportation experience well you are going to be upset when Tink doesn't sprinkle you with pixie dust to fly to the Magic Kingdom. Until someone comes up with a better idea to combat the buses I have no reason to turn my nose at it.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

  6. #51

    • When Will It Return?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    1,349

    Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    To be honest I don't go to Disney World to ride the bus, boat or monorail (though I do love the monorails). So the transportation doesn't really make or break my experience. It's expected there is no other place like Disney World it really is it own world and there needs to be some sort of mass transportation and the buses DO work. If you go to Disney World and expect magic in you're transportation experience well you are going to be upset when Tink doesn't sprinkle you with pixie dust to fly to the Magic Kingdom. Until someone comes up with a better idea to combat the buses I have no reason to turn my nose at it.
    What a terrific & superb defense of mediocrity.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt
    Most people have no idea that the buses are not working as well as they could be. They just blindly heed Disney's advice to allow 1-2 hours for travel inside the resort on the bus system like sheep, and feel so privledged that they can ride a Disney bus & not need a rental car. For some reason it never occurs to them that requiring 1-2 hours for travel inside the resort is rather ludicrous given the distances in question. Yes, WDW is large but it's not that large.

    "Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

  7. #52

    • Frustrated A/V Engineer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,351

    Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    What a terrific & superb defense of mediocrity.
    Ridiculous. He is simply posting how he feels, and since it doesn't jibe with your refined sense of right and wrong he must be defending mediocrity. Simply silly.

  8. #53

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,417

    Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    What a terrific & superb defense of mediocrity.
    Well like I said... until someone comes up with a better idea, and I haven't heard one yet. As far as the other message you quoted I have never experienced travel time that was 1-2 hours in Disney World. Call me lucky but I have been there quite a few times and never experienced this.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

  9. #54

    • When Will It Return?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    1,349

    Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    He is simply posting how he feels, and since it doesn't jibe with your refined sense of right and wrong he must be defending mediocrity.
    MiceChat in particular has something of a history with calling out defenses of mediocrity when they are seen. In this case, mediocrity really is being defended here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    If you go to Disney World and expect magic in you're transportation experience well you are going to be upset when Tink doesn't sprinkle you with pixie dust to fly to the Magic Kingdom.
    If I go to WDW, and pay the premium price for the premium experience, as the saying goes, then why shouldn't I expect "magic" in my transportation experience? My transportation experience in Tokyo was magical with the pictured buses and the non-pictured Mickey Mouse PA spiel that totally did it for me even though I couldn't understand a word of Mickey's japanese. Why not WDW?

    Oh, right, it's because WDW is perfectly content with a mediocore bus system whose most popular response, at least here, has been, "Do yourself a favor and rent a car."

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    Well like I said... until someone comes up with a better idea, and I haven't heard one yet. As far as the other message you quoted I have never experienced travel time that was 1-2 hours in Disney World. Call me lucky but I have been there quite a few times and never experienced this.
    A better idea.

    As for the 1-2 hours time, that is WDW's recommendation. That is their words when describing how long getting from any point A to any point B in WDW will take. I guess you've been lucky, but whenever I visit WDW, I always have to make sure never to schedule a dining reservation less than 3 hours after my flight's arrival time because there's no chance that I'll make it. That's utterly ridiculous. The drive from MCO to WDW, and I've done it many times, is 40mins at most. So why does it take 180mins at least to make that drive, and then go from my resort, to a park or DTD, and then to another resort? It's because the mediocore bus system is as crappy and more unreliable than a city bus system. At least local buses make an attempt to run on a schedule. WDW can't find it within themselves to at least do that? What? We should be calling WDW's bus system out for what it is, and not defending its mediocrity, unless I'm somehow mistaken about this thread's title.

    I don't know about anyone else, but I happen to value my time, especially theme park time that can easily be measured in monetary terms. When any park wastes hours of my time due to their deliberately inefficient system, and then puts up no apologies other than, "We recommend 1-2 hours for travel time inside the WDW Resort," I'm not going to speak very highly of that system. What praise & laurels does it merit?

    Also bear in mind that out of the last 5 times I've visited WDW ('04, '05, '06, '07, '09), I've visited in January. I'll be making yet another January trip in about 2 weeks. I pick this time because the crowds are generally at their lightest this time of year. If the buses are as bad as they've been for me during light time, I don't even want to think about how horrific they are during really busy times. I've always figured I've been a victim of low attendance budgeting and not-so-great location. Hopefully staying at the Pop will alleviate the location problem, but I can't do anything about the budgeting issue.

    It just sucks to think that I'm going to have to incur another cost - a rental car - just to save the time that Disney's buses is going to waste out of my day. There's no reason I should have to be even thinking about this.
    Last edited by PeoplemoverMatt; 01-03-2011 at 09:53 AM.

    "Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

  10. #55

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,417

    Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

    I have never had the transportation issues you have so I guess I am lucky but then again maybe you are just unlucky. The buses do their job and you're "better idea" in my opinion doesn't do enough that would change anything. I don't care what the bus looks like etc. The bus ride is free and I will gladly take my free ride to the parks with a smile on my face. As far as other things MC is known for, well you forgot about numerous people complaining about things that are not up to their impossible standards.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

  11. #56

    • Frustrated A/V Engineer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,351

    Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    MiceChat in particular has something of a history with calling out defenses of mediocrity when they are seen. In this case, mediocrity really is being defended here.
    If I see a problem with some element of WDW and try to pooh-pooh it away, like if I said "Sure, the bathrooms are dirty, but it's really no big deal", then I'm defending mediocrity. If, however, someone declares that some element of WDW is mediocre while I just don't see it that way, I'm defending nothing - I simply see the situation differently. I agree with you that plenty of people seem to defend mediocrity, and that's sad. I just don't see this as the same situation. Maverick just doesn't find the bus system to be as problematic as you do. That doesn't make either of you wrong, and it doesn't give either of you the right to diss the other's opinion just because you have a differing one.

  12. #57

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,417

    Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

    Voice of reason strikes again.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

  13. #58

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    862

    Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

    I, personally, don't mind the buses. We don't travel back and forth to our resort often, so we use them rarely. With good planning, the buses are an OK way to go. It also helps immensely if your resort's buses are exclusive to your resort. I think AK Lodge may be one of those resorts, as it is at the very edge of property, away from most places.

    However, don't rely solely on the buses for your transportation. Know the routes, and KNOW THEIR ALTERNATIVES. Utilize the monorail, ferries, and pathways between resorts and parks. Make sure you are leaving early if you need to be somewhere at a certain time. Plan ahead.

    Also, at the end of the day, WDW's buses are a nightmare, however, I recommend to you one of my favorite tips for not only avoiding end of the day bus traffic, but also for really enjoying the parks. Stay after the park closes!! Normally, you can stay for quite a while after the parks close. Nothing is open, no rides are operating, but the atmosphere of nighttime, especially after the people in the parks clear out is amazing. You really can take everything in-- the sights, the music, and the magic. Just walk slowly around, and enjoy... it's almost like you have the whole place to yourself. As long as you are out before the buses are publicized to stop running, you should be able to get your bus. The worst a CM can do is ask you to make your way out of the park.

    Whatever you do, enjoy!

  14. #59

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,417

    Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

    Quote Originally Posted by Epcot2000 View Post

    However, don't rely solely on the buses for your transportation. Know the routes, and KNOW THEIR ALTERNATIVES. Utilize the monorail, ferries, and pathways between resorts and parks. Make sure you are leaving early if you need to be somewhere at a certain time. Plan ahead.
    The simple how to guide for navigating 'the world'... learn it, know it, live it.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

  15. #60

    • When Will It Return?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    1,349

    Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    I agree with you that plenty of people seem to defend mediocrity, and that's sad. I just don't see this as the same situation.
    Fair enough, but just listen to when people describe the bus system. Even the most positive reviews of the buses are couched in exactly what I'm saying.

    Quote Originally Posted by Epcot2000
    I, personally, don't mind the buses. We don't travel back and forth to our resort often, so we use them rarely. With good planning, the buses are an OK way to go. It also helps immensely if your resort's buses are exclusive to your resort. I think AK Lodge may be one of those resorts, as it is at the very edge of property, away from most places.

    However, don't rely solely on the buses for your transportation. Know the routes, and KNOW THEIR ALTERNATIVES. Utilize the monorail, ferries, and pathways between resorts and parks. Make sure you are leaving early if you need to be somewhere at a certain time. Plan ahead.

    Also, at the end of the day, WDW's buses are a nightmare, however, I recommend to you one of my favorite tips for not only avoiding end of the day bus traffic, but also for really enjoying the parks. Stay after the park closes!! Normally, you can stay for quite a while after the parks close. Nothing is open, no rides are operating, but the atmosphere of nighttime, especially after the people in the parks clear out is amazing. You really can take everything in-- the sights, the music, and the magic. Just walk slowly around, and enjoy... it's almost like you have the whole place to yourself. As long as you are out before the buses are publicized to stop running, you should be able to get your bus. The worst a CM can do is ask you to make your way out of the park.
    So the best way to deal with the buses is to minimize their use as much as possible, learn their alternatives to further said minimization, make sure to plan ahead to account for all the time the buses waste, and then stay away from them for as long as Disney security will allow after park closing. Sounds GREAT to me! Are we going to make snarky comments to this poster for his "impossible standards" as well?

    Basically what I'm hearing, especially from Maverick, is, "Yes, the bus system is generally awful, but it's no big deal. I'll gladly take my free ride with a smile on my face." If that's not defending mediocrity, quite honestly I don't know what is, and I've been in the theme park business for a long time.

    Look, we can try to use optomism & snarkiness to cover up WDW's shortfallings, or we can call it what it is. 10 years ago when Disneyland was in its doldrums, people tried to use blind optomism to cover up how awful things were then, and that only lead to years of more doldrums followed by a much, much more expensive plan to fix the real problems that were there. DCA is finally becoming a park worth its admission, but it took 10 years of straight denial before Disney finally saw the forest for the trees there.

    Why people who go to WDW are content with the current bus system is a total mystery to me. Do you not want to see the bus system improve? Every time I read about the buses, it sounds like the system is generally awful...but it's Disney so they put a smile on their face as much as possible no matter what. Why give Disney a pass that you wouldn't give anyone else, including other parks? If the system sucks, we should be completely 100% honest about it to anyone & everyone who asks. That's the only way the voice for improvements will be loud enough that Disney might wake up and actually make an improvement or two to the system. Right now Disney believes no one cares about the buses one way or the other. It's time for that to change, especially in the face of price hikes across the board.
    Last edited by PeoplemoverMatt; 01-03-2011 at 10:44 PM.

    "Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Pictures] Photo TR: WDW Vacation 1/10-1/17
    By sarki7 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 07:03 PM
  2. 8/23: It's the Tourists...
    By Al Lutz in forum MiceAge Discussions
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 03:28 PM
  3. An Introduction To WDW For DLR Vets
    By HydroGuy in forum Orlando Travel Planning
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 02:46 PM
  4. My big ol' 7 day WDW TR - with pictures and more!
    By MickeyMania in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 04-17-2006, 08:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •