Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

I hear lots of complaints about the bus system in WDW and how inefficient it is. I've been to Disney World once and i stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and i have to say the bus system was just fine for us (i don't recall having to wait longer then 15 minutes for a bus during our entire week-long stay. anyway, i'm planning another trip with my girlfriend in a few months and my question is, has the bus system gotten that much worse since i've been there last (about 4 years ago)? so should i rent a car when i'm there? or is the bus system just worse for the value resorts and i should be ok at the animal kingdom lodge? any advice would be much appreciated. thank you!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Is the WDW bus system really that bad???

Yes, the WDW bus system is terrible.

There was a time when the buses ran quickly and not stuffed to capacity, but those days are long over. Today, you'll be crammed into a bus and if you are an able-bodied person, you'll likely also need to stand for your entire trip as well.

While that may be acceptable for a city transportation system, it just isn't magic or acceptable for an expensive Disney vacation. That's the reason that Walt had boats and Monorails.

But today's Disney is cheap and doesn't really care about your happiness or safety (at least when it comes to the buses). You'll walk all day in the hot Florida sun at the parks and then stuffed into a bus and forced to stand all the way back to your hotel holding on to your kids, packages and hope that the bus doesn't turn or stop suddenly.

We've seen people go flying inside the buses. I've wrenched my shoulder as a bus stopped suddenly, sending me backwards into the metal handrail above a seat (while still trying to hold on tight to the handrail above me).

The biggest weakness at Disney World (even more than the poor upkeep of the park, declining value, and staleness) is the HORRIBLE transportation system.

It absolutely ruins the magic of a Disney World vacation.

Rent a car.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

so if i was to rent a car, would that mean i need to pay for parking at each individual park, on each individual day, no matter how many times i visited those parks during my time at the resort? that could get very expensive, very quickly.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan1 View Post
    so if i was to rent a car, would that mean i need to pay for parking at each individual park, on each individual day, no matter how many times i visited those parks during my time at the resort? that could get very expensive, very quickly.
    If you are staying at the Disney World Resort OR are an Annual Passholder, parking is free. Just show your room key or annual pass.
    Find us on Facebook:

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

The other advantage to having a car is that you'll easily be able to take a day to visit the AMAZING Wizarding World of Harry Potter just down the road at Universal.
    Find us on Facebook:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    The other advantage to having a car is that you'll easily be able to take a day to visit the AMAZING Wizarding World of Harry Potter just down the road at Universal.
    I was about to say that! LOL

• Another trip down I-4

Buses are only good for if you plan on enjoying a few too many margaritas at the Mexican pavilion.

Rent a car for all other instances.

• Nutty about Disney parks

It's different for everyone but the buses are usually the worst in the morning and evenings when it's around closing time for the parks.

If you dont want to be stuck at the bus stop for an ungodly amount of time when the park closes, I'd recommend getting to the buses at least 30 mins before the park closes.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

This is a great post and I am a big follower of modern transportation methods, especially in the parks. Speaking to KingEric's post, the set up of the people mover is wonderful and a model that Disney had hopes of becoming the reality. The trams are always moving, so there are no delays in the loading and unloading process as also seen at many of the Disney attractions. The efficiency of this process is spot on, and the safety is even better.

The Disney Buses are a pain, especially when they are crammed full. The entire process needs to be looked at, invested in, and changed. The largest theme park in the world is a focal point, one I still love, but Walt's dreams are now haunting the modern park goer. While renting a car is going to be the more efficient option, it is still a shame to fly overhead and see the massive parking lots spanning across what was once great Florida Eco-terrain. Universal, with limited space built two massive parking garages, which maximizes the parking in smaller spaces. Now to incorporate a central "TTC" into the mix and we have one smooth running system.

• Future Princess

Disney busses are miserable. Animal Kingdom lodge may be different, but while I was there over the summer at PO-RS, we had to wait what seemed like forever for a bus to show up, and it doesn't help that there are so many bus depots for people to load/unload from. The busses weren't packed while I was there (about a week before peak season), but it all depends on when you go for the amounts of people.

I would definitely suggest renting a car.

I will join the chorus here and highly recommend renting a car. It's sooooooooooooo worth it. The buses are truly terrible. If you are staying at AK lodge, parking is free. Just show your room key. If you are going to a park before you've checked in, tell them so, they will wave you in.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

It may have changed, but when I stayed at Walt Disney World in the past, my resort gave me a print out to put on the dash that served as my parking pass for the resort and parks. You drive up, the guard or toll attendant sees the print out through your windshield, and you are waved right through.

And to add to that, if you're not staying on property, you pay parking once per day. Once you pay for parking for that day, you can park at any park you like without paying.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

I honestly don't think the bus system is that bad, but I've never been to Orlando during peak season. Our first trip was in December '07, and I went back in May of last year. The bus system was ok but times, but it does need to be improved. Sometimes you get a cluster of buses coming one after the other for the same park (usually the MK) and none for any of the other parks. Or the first 4-5 buses you see are for the same two parks. It was Disney's decision to split up WDW into four far-flung parks, so they do have a responsibility to provide better transportation.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by BeautyandtheBeast View Post
    Disney busses are miserable. Animal Kingdom lodge may be different, but while I was there over the summer at PO-RS, we had to wait what seemed like forever for a bus to show up, and it doesn't help that there are so many bus depots for people to load/unload from. The busses weren't packed while I was there (about a week before peak season), but it all depends on when you go for the amounts of people.

I would definitely suggest renting a car.
    If you have to share your bus with another resort then it is no doubt going to be bad. The Pop Century buses are probably heaven right now but just wait when Art of Animation is built. They're no doubt going to share the same buses.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast