Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• FastPass n00b

Re: The changing of Walt Disney World........ is this "normal"????

I really don't think it's worth it getting mad at people like this... for one thing, there are many things that could incapacitate a 40-year old that forces them to use a scooter. You really never know what a person's individual circumstance is. But even if they were abusing the system, it's their problem and not ours. If someone wants to be a jerk, I let them and don't let it bother me. There are some MAJOR jerks out there and they will ruin your vacation... if you let them.

Society is changing, yes, and people's spheres of awareness are closing up tighter than ever before, but it doesn't make them "bad" people. But one time I did run into a situation that was truly horrible, it was waiting in line at the Orange Stinger at DCA years ago. I was patiently waiting in line with my family and we had a rather large party. While the line was moving this group of kids decided to cut in line right between me and my family and we were cut off by the idiot CM working the line. I explained the situation, but he wouldn't let us go and family had to wait for the 2 of us that didn't make it due to the line jumpers. I was pissed... these people had no excuse other than truly being bad people. And they took away a serious part of the experience by bumping us off the same ride as the family... not to mention the CM was dumber than a box of rocks. These were not just people not aware of their surroundings, these are people who truly destroy the Disney experience.

The Disney CM has an undeserved reputation of being the best in the industry. There are truly some gems here and there, but overall I feel that the employees at Knott's Berry Farm are MUCH better... they play around a lot, they are always friendly and courteous, the performers in costume are genuinely funny, and I've never had a bad experience there. A lot of CMs at Disneyland just appear to be going through the motions to gain a paycheck and I've had a couple bad experiences there. I know I don't speak for *every* one of the CMs working there, but that's just the overall vibe I get nowadays.

As for not bringing a credit card for security, it's actually much more dangerous to bring cash as far as security goes. Cash cannot be replaced and if it is spent by someone else, it's gone for good. With a credit card you can cancel it right after you find it missing and you won't be responsible for any charges. I carry only emergency cash and use my credit card for everything. It's by far the most secure way to spend money. But I totally understand why you didn't bring it for overspending purposes, that is quite admirable and commendable.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

The scooters are a huge issue in WDW. Incredible! When we were there a month ago I pointed out to my mom that the amount of scooters zipping along was just unbelievable. I cannot imagine that all those people on the scooters really needed them. Some of those people would benefit from walking around a bit. Getting a doctors note saying you need the scooter is not dfifficult.

Brent- I am glad overall, you seemed to enjoy your trip. The icicle lights on the castle are amazing. Simply gorgeous.
    As for EPCOT, no comparison to what it once was. The Lghts of Winter were amazing, and its a shame that they were not replaced. What a difference it made to the whole holiday feel of the park. It was just totally lacking. Such a shame.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    The scooters are a huge issue in WDW. Incredible! When we were there a month ago I pointed out to my mom that the amount of scooters zipping along was just unbelievable. I cannot imagine that all those people on the scooters really needed them. Some of those people would benefit from walking around a bit. Getting a doctors note saying you need the scooter is not dfifficult.

Brent- I am glad overall, you seemed to enjoy your trip. The icicle lights on the castle are amazing. Simply gorgeous.
    As for EPCOT, no comparison to what it once was. The Lghts of Winter were amazing, and its a shame that they were not replaced. What a difference it made to the whole holiday feel of the park. It was just totally lacking. Such a shame.
    I agree with you 100%. And that is also what I said in my post. People are very quick to defend those in scooters. Get a doctors note saying you need one! It's that simple. Then no one has to argue about who needs to be in a scooter and for what. And yes, you said what many are thinking. Some people would indeed benefit from walking around a bit. And finally the amount of scooters is unbelievable in WDW. To test this theory, think of one place where you will see more scooters than WDW. Anyone?

Thanks for the trip report...BTW Indy here too!!!

I don't work for Disney(yet) but I will say that it is an industry norm to be very light or even out of Xmas merchandise that late in the game. I am a Retail Marketing Consultant with over 20 years in Mgt with companies like Target and stores get in Xmas items as early as September. The second Halloween is over, it goes to sales floor.

Due to the ever so changing trends in Xmas merchandise, stores would rather run out than get stuck with items and then have to clearance it out.

Based on what I read about the issue with the computer(unless I misunderstood) the CM said there was a medium left at that store. Not working at Disney(yet) I would imagine it is the same set up as what I have dealt with in the past. If it is the same I have dealt with at Target and most recently, ,Meijer(Indy).... it can show there is an item in inventory on sales floor or backroom UNTIL it actually gets sold and scanned out. Soooooo, based on what I think I read, It could have been possible for it to show the item there. A guest could have picked it up in their hands and shopped while the CM checked on computer but would still show the store as having it until it was sold through register....

If I did not read it right,I apologize....

Have a great day!
    Last edited by wedway71; 12-29-2010 at 03:20 PM.

• The Original Disney Doll

You don't need a doctors note to get a scooter. CM's can't ask for a note and they can't ask you why you need one. It's against the law. I don't know if WDW does the GAC like DL does but they can't ask for a doctors note or what your specific disability is for one of those either. All they can ask is what kind of assistance you need such as not being able to stand or can't wait in lines that are in the sun, that sort of thing.

As for the guest rudeness, I agree wholeheartedly. Last time we were at POFQ, we also had a really long line at the bakery counter in the food court, and while we were all waiting and waiting some loud mouthed woman butts her way to front and yells at the CM "I just want some beignets"...ahhh excuse me lady but that's what we are all standing in line for! But did the CM tell her to go to the end of the line and wait with everyone else? No. He served her first. I was so PO'ed. I've been mad about that for 5 years now. But yeah, I also totally agree the CM are not all that fabulous. I've never had a magical moment or encountered that CM that jumped through hoops for me which is fine, I'm not complaining about that but I do encounter a lot of rude CM's that just keep reiterating the same dumb rule or policy without any explanation or doing anything to try to help. Or just being rude for no dang reason. I try to have as few encounters with CM's as possible anymore. Shame.

Another thing I can't stand and I don't know if they do this at WDW but they sure do it at DL and that is they use my first name which I think is rude and inappropriate. Call me old fashioned but I don't think an 18 year old kid working at the Tommorowland Terrace should be calling me, a 38 year old mother "Bonnie." Even at my grocery store they say "Ms ________." Now, whose bright idea was it to tell CM to use guests' first names because it would come across and personal and friendly? It's neither. It's rude and Disney needs to go back to not only better guest services but well-mannered and professional guest service. I know that's a minor quip but it really bothers me when they do it and I've complained to Disney's Guest Relations about before.

Anywho...I really enjoyed your TR and I think you hit the nail on the head with your assesment of the state of things at WDW.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dizneedoll View Post
    at DL and that is they use my first name which I think is rude and inappropriate. Call me old fashioned but I don't think an 18 year old kid working at the Tommorowland Terrace should be calling me, a 38 year old mother "Bonnie." Even at my grocery store they say "Ms ________." Now, whose bright idea was it to tell CM to use guests' first names because it would come across and personal and friendly? It's neither. It's rude and Disney needs to go back to not only better guest services but well-mannered and professional guest service. I know that's a minor quip but it really bothers me when they do it and I've complained to Disney's Guest Relations about before.
    I had the same experience at DL as well. My daughter was like "Do you know that person?" When I told her no, she was like "Wow, if I did that to someone I didn't know at work, I'd get written up." She worked at a Sub shop at the time. If a Fast Food Restaurant has at least that level of courtesy for their customers, I think it would be a no brainer that Disney would have it too.

No you don't need a doctor's note. Anyone can rent one. My Mom, who really does need one,(honest!) rented one at Epcot. It was great for us, without it, she wouldn't have been able to go at all, or I would have been pushing her in a manual wheelchair (which I gladly would have done if the scooter wasn't available).

I can't understand people wanting to rent one who don't need it, though. It was kind of a pain, for her, to maneuver the thing around corners, people, etc. I would not say it made any particular difference in cutting in front of lines, either. For the most part, she took her scooter through the line, left it when boarding the ride, then found it waiting for her at the exit (thanks, castmembers!). For Spaceship earth, it was different. We were brought in through the exit, with tons of other people in scooters, and waited quite a while to board the ride.

My point is, having the scooter didn't feel like an advantage; it really seemed more like a nuisance. I'm sure my Mom would have been preferred to be on her own two feet like everyone else.

These people renting scooters who don't need them? Good grief, seriously?

• Grim Grinning Ghost

Just a comment on scooter use from a different perspective: For several years now, I have rented a scooter (ECV) when going to DLR. Since my wife is handicapped and needs one, she suggested years ago I rent one too because I had bronchitis and doing a lot of walking would be hard to do when I couldn't breathe well. I felt very guilty about renting one when I wasn't really "handicapped", but she insisted. Well, let me tell you, it made the entire trip so pleasurable not to have to walk everywhere. I convinced my older brother to rent one also when we visit together, and it's great! Scooters are simply rented to anyone who wants to use one, just as strollers are.

Now, we usually do not use the wheelchair entrances to the rides...we simply park the ECV with the strollers and get in the regular lines. Using a wheelchair or ECV does NOT get you to the front of the line...in many instances, you are made to wait quite a long time to get on the ride. So no, there is no big advantage to being in a wheelchair or scooter. Trying to manuever through crowds of people is a nightmare on one, too.

Several years ago, I developed plantar fasciitis in both my feet that cannot be cured, despite having surgery, so I definitely use a scooter at the grocery store now, too, and anywhere else they are available. They are a wonderful invention when you have problems with walking or standing for long periods. However, I see things in a new perspective when using one...most ambulatory folks are extremely disrespectful when they see you coming...they don't want to move out of the way, they jump in front of you suddenly thinking they can make it before you hit them (not always can they!), etc. Being in a wheelchair or scooter is not always the easiest thing.

• Cast Member

Before I comment, I must preface that I am a Cast Member but not from WDW, but DLR. So I do have some perspective on certain things you don't have even if it is from Walt's park. Also, this is only a criticism, not a rag or put down on your trip.

That being said, I would MOSTLY agree with your assessment of how your trip went, as in I can picture your scenarios.

Here are my constructive criticisms of your trip report.

1) Did you not research your resort or trip plans before traveling? You seem like a seasoned WDW traveler, yet you didn't figure out that you could probably see the menu for the resort or what the fare in general was like for your hotel (WDW site, Iphone apps, etc.) I'm going there in January 2011, and you bet I have researched what's going, etc. Still researching as much as someone not from Florida can. I want to have the best possible vacation.

2) Here's where I can speak of personal experience from current DLR stores/merch when it comes to your Christmas/Holiday merchandise and in general. The Cast Members are SUPPOSED to be trained to never tell you we don't have something. They are ALWAYS supposed to offer an alternative in various ways. Either, look in the stockroom, call another store, see if it is in the system(will explain later), or lastly offer up either the disneystore website or the park's own mail order number. The mail order number is of last resort and they can hold an item if and when the item comes back in stock in the resort and call you back and see if you still want it and then order it and have it shipped, etc. The mail order number or website should be on your receipt at the very least.

Holidays are busy and there is no excuse for shoddy guest service as you should have been offered these options.

3) (Here I get into detail about the "system") WDW and DL just converted close to a year ago to a new merchandise inventory system and without getting too technical, it is the first time DLR and WDW share the same system for inventory control.

What does this all mean? A lot of bugs in the system still, but eventually a more efficient process. Right now you're in the middle of the DLR and WDW trying to make sense of the system so that it doesn't do what happened to you, which is that the numbers lied, the cast members didn't. (how they told you was unacceptable though)

How does that happen?

(Those with retail backgrounds will know this already) If a store doesn't have something, there are several reasons.

A) The shipment never came in to the warehouse and delivered to the store.

B) The shipment came in but has not been processed yet (taken out of the box/carton/bag) from the
    stockroom and made ready to sell. (unacceptable)

C) People steal. That's a fact. It doesn't matter that you're at WDW, it happens. If you think you have 5 of something, but someone stole 4, you really only have one of an item in a store. That won't show up right away in the system which leads to the next thing....

D) The stores have people that maintain or are in charge of the inventory numbers and they will adjust for things like stolen items, returned merchandise, items without proper price tags that need to be rung up and correct the count so that the system gives you the correct number for an item of merchandise. It's not the most fun of processes, but it does get done. It doesn't happen immediately though as they have a lot of things to tackle, not just that.

E) Items in the displays usually count as merchandise for purposes of inventory but sometimes are also MOSd(marked out of stock) because they are displayed items. So they can't be sold because those items can be sun damaged or have pin holes to keep them on the mannequin. They're not supposed to be sold, but some people do it anyway. It depends on the store.

F) The system is *really* new and there have been some quirks and growing pains that give bad numbers/readings for inventories at locations.

G) The item is genuinely sold out, production is done for the item and you bought too late. WDW and DLR *try* to run a just in time type of operation where they minimize how much they keep on hand in their warehouses because taking up space is money. Christmas also gets pushed to October these days because of that so they can front load the time to sell the stuff so they don't have too much left over.

None of these explanations give you what you wanted, which were the pants in your size requested, but hope you understand better about the whole situation. I'm not sticking up for the bad service or crappy system.

Sorry for the long explanation, but hopefully you can think about it the next time something like this happens at WDW/DLR or retail in general.

Bye.
    Last edited by gumby; 12-30-2010 at 07:01 PM.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I enjoyed your report, and I'm glad you had a mostly good time. Just one comment -

Quote Originally Posted by proradvlx View Post
    Hi all!!

Registration went well, although we had to wait a couple hours for our room, which I thought was kind of strange since I did the online check in the day before.
    While online checkin does put you in the computer, it doesn't in any way affect what rooms are ready when. If they had 100 rooms ready early and 100 people checked in ahead of you, they wouldn't have anything ready for you. They don't hold a room just because you've checked in online. I always plan on a delay, and am pleasantly surprised when they have my room ready for me!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by dizneedoll View Post
    Now, whose bright idea was it to tell CM to use guests' first names because it would come across and personal and friendly?
    Umm, that would be Walt Disney, known to all of his employees as just Walt.

• Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Umm, that would be Walt Disney, known to all of his employees as just Walt.
    Um...yeah. There are many things that need to be changed in the resorts, but first name culture, that's not one that will change anytime soon.

Bye.

• Proradvlx

GGGCOTS - Thanks for the reply - I have worked in the medical field for over 20 years now, and I totally agree with you in the need for scooters for people with appropriate medical conditions. My complaints are more along these lines, of which I personally saw while in the park this year: Teenagers renting the scooters, and using them to play "joust" in the walkways; Any other adult zipping along in one of the scooters, but having no problem to jump up off the scooter and spend any amount of time shopping in the stores; Others using the scooters as portable shopping carts, so they don't have to be burdened with carrying their purchases around like the rest of us.
    Anyone that actually needs the use of a scooter, I have no problem with, and would be happy to help said person if I could. The others are the ones I have the problem with - these people are abusing a system just for either their greed, lazyness, and or arrogance. Personally, I wish WDW and DL would require some sort of proof on need, but in our land of "forced correctness", I don't see that happening.

• Proradvlx

Gumby - Thanks for the reply, especially coming from a CM. I do respect everything you said, and understand the chaos of implementing a new computer system.

We were at WDW in 2006 for the Halloween party - We arrived late in October, and stayed over until Nov. 3rd. We saw the change over from Halloween to Christmas over night starting on November 1st. And while I do understand the idea of wanting to sell all the holiday items, so not to have to clear them out, I'm sure there were a lot of people that come down for the week between Christmas and New Years, and are very dissapointed with the lack of holiday merchandise.

As far as the other CM's, all in all we have always been very impressed with the CM's. I work in the medical field, and understand working with the public, especially when they are at their worst. This seems to be parallel to people on vacation. They expect everything to be exactly what they want, and when they want it. If not, the expectation is that you will work them into the system, without delay. CM's have my respect for dealing with situations and with dealing with people from around the world, and doing all this every day. I understand the fustration must be incredible, especially around the holidays, and at peak times. So to you and all your fellow CM's that are there for all of us, thank you very much. As a team leader myself, my wish is that the CM's would have the support and backing of their team leaders, or what ever WDW/DL may call them. I did notice that I did not see many managers out on the floors of the stores when we were there. My feeling is that they need to be there to support the CM's at a moments notice. With my team, I go around the department constantly, seeing if any area needs help, a patient needs assistance, or put out a "fire" that has come up. CM's need that level of support.

• Make The Bumping Stop

First come first serve on the scooters, no questions asked.
    I have worked:
    T-Land Attractions - Speedway, Space Mountain, Training Facilitator May 08- April 09
    Fantasyland Attractions - Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventures April 09- May09
    Icon Attractions (studios) - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic May10- Aug10

Have lived in Chatham and Patterson.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast