• Minion

River Country: Expanded, not Abandoned

For fun, I expanded the 'Ol Swimmin Hole, to be a water park on the scale of Typhoon Lagoon/Blizzard Beach. Maybe it could have then been a viable attraction.

You can check out a detailed description on site:

• Call me "Mox"

Re: River Country: Expanded, not Abandoned

Looks like a cool idea.. Wasn't River Country closed because Florida statue says that water parks or swimming pools must have a municipal water source?
    "All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."

Disneyland - 1995, 1988
    Walt Disney World - JAN 2011, OCT 2010, SEPT 2010, MAY 2010, MAR 2010, JULY 2009, MAY 2009, JULY 1999

Next Trips:
    WDW - Valentine's Day 2011
    Disneyland - Late May/Early June

• Minion

cool! Hey what program do you use for those maps? Is it an Adobe Program? I'd Love to know! Thanks!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

i love when you do this! EPIC.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lytum Hyde View Post
    Looks like a cool idea.. Wasn't River Country closed because Florida statue says that water parks or swimming pools must have a municipal water source?
    I think it was that the water became contaminated or something. After all they were dealing with water from a lake. It can't be controlled. I've seen pictures of the site abandoned along with a video. It's very sad. Almost everything is still there but the water is a brownish dark green color. I was watching videos of when it was still open with the people having fun. it looks like it would still be popular if they brought it back in water that can be controlled and like how Randy made it - larger.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Banned User

I read that the area is scheduled to become the next DVC resort. don't know if that's true but if it is, I hope they theme the resort to the campgrounds and have dvc cabins or at least a log cabin look to the buildings.

Could someone explain why the music still plays at RC?

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Deep View Post
    Could someone explain why the music still plays at RC?
    They forgot to turn it off? I don't know. The country-banjo music stills plays through the speakers around the abandoned park. I also saw a picture of an intertube still floating in the water. It was really sad to see it all in the pictures. So many memories must have been left behind. :\

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

love this! I follow your blog and love your ideas!

• Minion

^ Thanks. Dlandclub33, I use AutoCAD.

Regarding the reasons for the closure, I'm not sure I buy the law-change or water-contamination stories that have floated around for years - they sound internet myths, PR whitewash or bus driver stories to me.

Like everything else, I think it came down to money. Someone at TDO determined it was uneconomical to continue to keep it open (cost of running/maintaining vs. profit/popularity/benefit to guest experience).

• Not here to help

The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Salty Misanthrope

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    ...I'm not sure I buy the law-change or water-contamination stories that have floated around for years - they sound internet myths, PR whitewash or bus driver stories to me.
    Well, it is true that you can no longer swim in the WDW lakes, and you used to be able to. And there is documented evidence of a killer amoeba on the loose.

That said, they could certainly have closed off the water source and continued to run the park. I think part of the problem was that after creating the two other larger parks, people would be disappointed if they expected the same level of quality from River Country. Of course, they could have just improved River Country instead of creating two parks in the middle of nowhere, but that's not how they do things these days. And maybe the added noise/traffic would make Fort Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge less pleasant. Not that I think that would be much of a consideration.

Also the water can't be that deadly, given that they allow triathletes to swim in the lakes. I almost looked into registering for one of these, just to be able to swim around by Discovery Island...but then I didn't.

Because I'm too lazy.

Although if someone wanted to look into this, I would surely take advantage of the research...and start training in my local lake. I'll just give up when the running/biking part starts!