It's Nemo's, I mean The Living Seas 25th Anniversary today, Saturday Jan 15!

Today, Saturday, January 15th, marks the 25th Anniversary of United Technologies Living Seas Pavilion in Future World at Epcot. While Nemo and Friends have certainly sparked life into this pavilion, I still miss the "serious science" version of this once great space. I plan on being at the opening of Epcot at 9 to see if anything special might be happening to celebrate (maybe a re-dedication or a pin or button). We'll have to wait and see. If anything happens, I'll be sure to post it.
    WDW-'73,'76,'77,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'86,'91,'95,'96,'9 7,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'05,'06,'07,
    Jan'08,Feb'08,Sept'09,Feb'10,Apr'10,Sept'10,Jan'11 ,Apr'11,May'11,Sept'11,Dec'11,Mar'12,May'12,Sept/Oct'12,Nov'12
    DL-
    '79,'81,'84,'91,'05,'07,'10

• Nutty about Disney parks

Re: It's Nemo's, I mean The Living Seas 25th Anniversary today, Saturday Jan 15!

I've seen old videos of the Livings Seas and I'll guiltfully admit that this is one of the rarer attractions where incorporating Disney characters into the attraction actually helped it than hurt. Though I wish the attraction had featured more live fish tanks throughout the whole ride instead of just near the end.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Re: It's Nemo's, I mean The Living Seas 25th Anniversary today, Saturday Jan 15!

I've never seen any footage of the original Living Seas. What was it like?

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    I've never seen any footage of the original Living Seas. What was it like?
    Try to imagine...
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

The best thing that the Seas did IMO was lengthen the actual ride. I always felt in the original version that basically once you sat down and got comfortable, you were back up and getting off the ride it was so short.

Incidentally, today is also Space Mountain's, the Carousel of Progress's and All Star Movies' birthdays today (January 15th) as well.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Metro-Retro Historian

The Living Seas was really hurt by the common perception that "attraction" means "ride". Because of this, the two films and Hydrolators became the preshow and the exhibit area became a post show with a tiny ride in the middle, instead of the massive multifaceted experience that it was intended to be. Sadly in this case the parts didn't add up to a greater whole.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Inappropriate

I, for one, do not miss the hydrolators. Or the film. But the seas was still great. And I feel it's still a great attraction, even if some of the science stuff was lost.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    The best thing that the Seas did IMO was lengthen the actual ride. I always felt in the original version that basically once you sat down and got comfortable, you were back up and getting off the ride it was so short.
    When the Sea Cabs ride ended in the video Dapper Dan posted I even said "That's it?". Glad to know they made it longer.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• All-American

I always found it helpful to think of Seabase Alpha as the main attraction, and the Hydrolators/ride as the preshow and means of getting there. I think it was the desire to think of the ride portion as the main attraction that killed the Living Seas in a lot of people'e eyes.

I think it would have been nice if Imagineering, instead of overhauling the ride to give it a Nemo theme, had instead given it a more fantasy/dark ride feel like was originally intended. Maybe a Maelstrom-style look at some of the mythology related to the oceans, with lots of AAs and dark ride elements, culminating with a view into the aquarium to show the research being done "today." Sort of how this concept art depicts:

http://progresscityusa.com/wp-conten...seasposter.jpg

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    I always found it helpful to think of Seabase Alpha as the main attraction, and the Hydrolators/ride as the preshow and means of getting there. I think it was the desire to think of the ride portion as the main attraction that killed the Living Seas in a lot of people'e eyes.

I think it would have been nice if Imagineering, instead of overhauling the ride to give it a Nemo theme, had instead given it a more fantasy/dark ride feel like was originally intended. Maybe a Maelstrom-style look at some of the mythology related to the oceans, with lots of AAs and dark ride elements, culminating with a view into the aquarium to show the research being done "today." Sort of how this concept art depicts:

http://progresscityusa.com/wp-conten...seasposter.jpg
    That would have been really cool.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• Salty Misanthrope

I was a huge fan of the original Living Seas (it's in my Top 5 All-Time Disney Attraction List), although, as you might guess, I am a sucker for anything aquatic.

The sea cabs were always lame, but I enjoyed the hydrolators. I particularly liked the way the movie ended and the doors popped open to reveal the image on the screen. That's the essence of EPCOT right there. "Try to imagine..."

After I'd seen the movie at least a dozen times, I started skipping the pre-show by walking in through the exit hydrolators, but I always visited for at least an hour or two. There was a lot to see and always something new happening in the tanks. Plus the atmosphere of science and technology in the name of discovery and human progress was awesome.

For that reason, I don't think I would have liked a mythically-themed ride. And if I want to see the planned water vortex effect, I can go to Islands of Adventure. It is pretty impressive.

I friggin' hate the Nemo overlay, because it totally devalues the entire point of the attraction. It was never just about "fish" or the natural world, but about man's interaction with it.

But what are ya gonna do? It's in Future World, so it had to be ruined.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

while I love Turtle Talk with Crush, I really miss the Sea Base Alpha theme.... sigh
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by