Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 53
  1. #16

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Not the ones at Tokyo Disney.
    I'm sure. But I'm not talking about any Disney Monorail at all, I'm talking about our monorail here in Vegas, which shuttle along the east side of the Strip. They've been built and operated by Bombardier for a while now, and Bombardier has had some problems with the "building" part (such as a tire falling off a train and bouncing into a casino parking garage) and glaring errors with the "operating" (including the opening doors and ignoring alarms that I mentioned.) Most recently one train shut down due to failure earlier this summer for 6 hours on one of the hottest days of the year, leaving people stranded in the trains and stopping the whole line. They repaired it, put it on the track, and it broke down again the very next day. It's been back in service the past few months without problems.

    Anyway, I'm sure they aren't as meticulously cared for in the long run as the TDL trains, but considering that the parent company is losing money because the Monorails aren't getting enough riders to stay in the black, I honestly wouldn't be suprised.

  2. #17

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,494

    Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

    You'd think that the bus department has an idea how many guests are staying at each hotel and will plan the bus schedule around those numbers (and the opening time of the parks)?

  3. #18

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,035

    Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I'm sure. But I'm not talking about any Disney Monorail at all, I'm talking about our monorail here in Vegas, which shuttle along the east side of the Strip. They've been built and operated by Bombardier for a while now, and Bombardier has had some problems with the "building" part (such as a tire falling off a train and bouncing into a casino parking garage) and glaring errors with the "operating" (including the opening doors and ignoring alarms that I mentioned.) Most recently one train shut down due to failure earlier this summer for 6 hours on one of the hottest days of the year, leaving people stranded in the trains and stopping the whole line. They repaired it, put it on the track, and it broke down again the very next day. It's been back in service the past few months without problems.

    Anyway, I'm sure they aren't as meticulously cared for in the long run as the TDL trains, but considering that the parent company is losing money because the Monorails aren't getting enough riders to stay in the black, I honestly wouldn't be suprised.
    The system definitely has been troubled from the start, but I am very sure in the long run it will prove very successful. I was in Vegas in July and again this past weekend and used the monorail a LOT. Heard many comments and 99.9% were very positive (even heard comparisons to WDW's system).

    It saves so much time in getting down the Strip on a busy Saturday night when everyone is rushing to go somewhere and you need to get from the Venetian to the MGM-Grand to see Paul McCartney like WDW1974. What a pleasure it was to not deal with getting the car out of one garage, sitting in traffic for 45 minutes to go 1 1/2 miles and enter another huge garage.
    (also beats walking when it's 40 degrees with 25 MPH winds too!)

  4. #19

    • Having a Grand Day!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    1,188

    Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Not the ones at Tokyo Disney. I am yet to be delayed for traffic, stopped or broken down in one of those monorails, and they are fully automated, unlike WDW's But they do charge a fee to ride those TDR Line monos, which is fine with me, but most Americans suffer from "Cheapalitis" so many would unreasonably object, but I will take the TDR Line monos over WDW's outdated cans on a rail.
    The trade off is their design has no artistic elements - It just appeals to the Japanese love of cuteness rather than the sleek leer-jet design of the MK IV\V\VI.

  5. #20

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    The trade off is their design has no artistic elements - It just appeals to the Japanese love of cuteness rather than the sleek leer-jet design of the MK IV\V\VI.
    The design means NOTHING if you can not rely on the services to get from point A to point B safely and expeditiously. WDW's= Loud and obnoxious PA commercials and waiting for traffic clearance constantly, or delaying customers for safety checks. Why? What is wrong with these monorails that the same old "mechanical" check ups have to be done on a constant basis??? TDR's= On time and efficient. You can plan your day and be sure you'll get there within the time allocated for your plans. Clean and pleasant surroundings devoid of tear and wear such as WDW's. Bright lights and easy to read maps and electronic boards onboard. No obnoxious spiels featuring Stitch puking, but instead pleasant Disney melodies to soothe your senses. Hands down TDR Line wins in every respect regardless of what the monorails look like which are in fact, much better looking than most trains in Japan.

  6. #21

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Hands down TDR Line wins in every respect regardless of what the monorails look like which are in fact, much better looking than most trains in Japan.
    Which Japanese trains? This one?



    Sorry, gotta disagree with you on this one. The flashier bullet trains blow the doors off the TDR Line in terms of body shape.



    ^^^^ This follows the swoopy Disney designs thus far more than the Liners do. That nose couldn't take a big turn as well as the monorails do, but I'm talking purely from aesthetics. I mean, I know the TDR trains are very nice inside and are huge and I'd probably enjoy riding them, but that doesn't exclude the fact that they're a big departure from the typical Disney monorail design philosophy, even if they are maintained a lot better than the snazzy Disney-owned ones.

    But if they made something that looked like a smaller, regional version of a bullet train, even if it couldn't move nearly that fast, I'd be more impressed. As it is, I'm stuck looking forward to the first concept pictures of the new DL trains.

  7. #22

    • Disney Memory Maker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kissimmee, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,671

    Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    The design means NOTHING if you can not rely on the services to get from point A to point B safely and expeditiously. WDW's= Loud and obnoxious PA commercials and waiting for traffic clearance constantly, or delaying customers for safety checks. Why? What is wrong with these monorails that the same old "mechanical" check ups have to be done on a constant basis??? TDR's= On time and efficient. You can plan your day and be sure you'll get there within the time allocated for your plans. Clean and pleasant surroundings devoid of tear and wear such as WDW's. Bright lights and easy to read maps and electronic boards onboard. No obnoxious spiels featuring Stitch puking, but instead pleasant Disney melodies to soothe your senses. Hands down TDR Line wins in every respect regardless of what the monorails look like which are in fact, much better looking than most trains in Japan.
    1) Monorail looks mean much more than you say they do. IMO, Tokyo Disneyland's monorail looks like crap. I mean look at this, it looks like it's made from Playskool. It is ugly and looks more like a train than anything else. Sure, it's a little better than the Tokyo Monorail, but I'd still label it Butt Ugly. WDW's monorail on the otherhand is beautiful. It is futuristic looking (fitting in with Epcot), yet also easily fits in with the other stops. The design is much more beautiful and Disney-like.
    2) Those spiels on the monorail are what make the monorail. Sure, the new guy isn't as good as the old guy, but still, they serve a point. Why shouldn't Disney utilise these vehicles to advertise their resort and give tourists some fun facts (like the size of the track)? And what would it be like without "Please stand clear of the doors....Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas?"
    3) Imo, the stitch segment is very cute and fits in very well. (and no, he does not puke)
    4) Yes, you can rely on WDW's monorail to get from point A to B efficiently and safely. I have never once been in a monorail that broke down, nor have I ever seen one break down. Also, those traffic clearances are for safety. Disney doesn't want any chance that 2 vehicles could bump into each other (see rant below). Also, it would look dumb if one monorail was right behind the other.
    5) Those check ups are done for safety. I don't know about you, but I do not want to be in a monorail that hasn't had a check up. How would you like to be cruising down in your car at 30-40 miles an hour and need to slow down because there is a car about 100 ft away from you. However, your breaks don't work and you can't swerve out of the way (let's say your steering wheel locks). Guess what, your about to crash. If that's how you like your vehicles, good for you. However, I like the ones I'm in checked for safety.

    -Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

  8. #23

    • Disney Memory Maker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kissimmee, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,671

    Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

    Oh, and the inside.... I think it's ugly as well. It's like a combination of Martha Stewart throw up and New York City Subway.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

  9. #24

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    IMO, Tokyo Disneyland's monorail looks like crap. I mean look at this, it looks like it's made from Playskool. It is ugly and looks more like a train than anything else. Sure, it's a little better than the Tokyo Monorail, but I'd still label it Butt Ugly.
    I wouldn't say it looks like crap, as it looks clean and in a lot better shape than many trains in Asia. However, the fact of the matter is that there's much more impressive trains in Asia and Disney specializes in creating fantasy. There's nothing fantasy-like about this train other than the Mickey heads.

    Look at DLP. The people going to that park on a regular basis have actual castles all around them, so Disney created a castle with an atmosphere and style that was so whimsical that one could not find it in the real world.

    Now look at TDL. The people going to TDL on a regular basis have the JR500 (pictured above.) Admittedly, that train costs $5 billion to build each, but just from a shape perspective, ignoring the size and speed and fancy interior, it looks much more like a Disney train than the TDL line does.

    Disney specializes in building things that looks like they took billions of dollars to make, even if they don't. OLC has proven to front the kind of money to push WDI to it's creative limits. Why did the new train look so dull?

  10. #25

    • Internet.Serious Business
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities
    Posts
    4,828

    Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    you see, it was sideways... the right side of the bus was higher than the left side.
    Ha ha dude that happens alot. They just forget to level the bus after lowering the side for guests to get in.

    Yes I do think this new system will work better than the old call in when you need them. I know from running a similar system in my job (people as opposed to busses) "when you need them" is already too late.

    The best was the day we left AK during EMH...every single resort had lines out of the set up queue...not a single bus. The foreman was yelling into his radio like he was starting WWIII.

  11. #26

    • Disney Memory Maker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kissimmee, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,671

    Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    However, the fact of the matter is that there's much more impressive trains in Asia and Disney specializes in creating fantasy.
    Well, this was made by the Oriental Land Company (I believe they debuted only a few years ago). Sure, it was Imagineering Japan that designed this, but ultimately, it comes down to what OLC approves.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

  12. #27

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

    I thought OLC simply has a contract and licensing agreement with WDI to build their Disney stuff?

  13. #28

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Disney specializes in building things that looks like they took billions of dollars to make, even if they don't. OLC has proven to front the kind of money to push WDI to it's creative limits. Why did the new train look so dull?
    Sorry, but I have to disagree.. The Pooh playground and many of the newer things at WDW do not look like they took billion dollars in my book. As for your question... my understanding is that the TDR Line trains were not designed by Disney Imagineering but by other japanese transport company...Toyota or another similar maker... Those trains were not built for speed like the ultra cool and very sleek Shinkansen trains all over Japan, and that may be the reason for the more traditional look of the trains when compared to WDW's outdated but sleek looking fleet. When I made my comparison earlier...I was thinking of the regular trains that travel thru the cities of Japan...the average local/express trains and the likes.
    As I have said before... you all have your likes and dislikes and am not here to change your mind, and when it comes to what I like and you guys rather have....well.. that's just the way it is. To me, I value efficient, reliable and safe service, over flash. Can you at least respect that point of view? I am not trying to change your point of view and I am not changing mine either so we'll have to agree to disagree and move on. But trust me...next time I am sitting on the "express monorail to the MK" awating further traffic clearance... I will be thinking of you. :P

  14. #29

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    1) Monorail looks mean much more than you say they do. IMO, Tokyo Disneyland's monorail looks like crap. I mean look at this, it looks like it's made from Playskool. It is ugly and looks more like a train than anything else. Sure, it's a little better than the Tokyo Monorail, but I'd still label it Butt Ugly. WDW's monorail on the otherhand is beautiful. It is futuristic looking (fitting in with Epcot), yet also easily fits in with the other stops. The design is much more beautiful and Disney-like.
    2) Those spiels on the monorail are what make the monorail. Sure, the new guy isn't as good as the old guy, but still, they serve a point. Why shouldn't Disney utilise these vehicles to advertise their resort and give tourists some fun facts (like the size of the track)? And what would it be like without "Please stand clear of the doors....Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas?"
    3) Imo, the stitch segment is very cute and fits in very well. (and no, he does not puke)
    4) Yes, you can rely on WDW's monorail to get from point A to B efficiently and safely. I have never once been in a monorail that broke down, nor have I ever seen one break down. Also, those traffic clearances are for safety. Disney doesn't want any chance that 2 vehicles could bump into each other (see rant below). Also, it would look dumb if one monorail was right behind the other.
    5) Those check ups are done for safety. I don't know about you, but I do not want to be in a monorail that hasn't had a check up. How would you like to be cruising down in your car at 30-40 miles an hour and need to slow down because there is a car about 100 ft away from you. However, your breaks don't work and you can't swerve out of the way (let's say your steering wheel locks). Guess what, your about to crash. If that's how you like your vehicles, good for you. However, I like the ones I'm in checked for safety.

    -Michael
    Mike, you don't seem to understand where I am coming from...

    1) I am not saying that TDR LIne monos are prettier or uglier than WDW's.. since you and I both agree that WDW's sleek look is more cosmetically appealling. I am talking about EFFICIENCY. Every time I sit in the "express monorail" and have to wait for traffic clearance or some kind of delay, it gives me food for thought... Time wasted waiting in a monorail is fun time wasted from not being in the park.

    2)You like commercial speils? More power to you. I don't care for it and find them annoying and obnoxiously loud. It breaks the monorail experience for me.

    3) I find the Stitch commercial in bad taste. We don't need yet another anti hero teaching kids it's ok to go yuk! ack ack! and being obnoxiously rude. You think it's cute? then more power to you. Many guests do not even listen to all that info they are dishing out. Too much info creates "valleys" in the mind..a point when all you hear (not listening) is Jada jada jada I much prefer the soothing melodies and minimal speils played in the TDR Line trains. They keep it short and sweet and I appreciate that.

    4) yes you can get from point A to point B on the WDW monorails but God forbid you are running late and need to get from A to B in a hurry. As for the safety checks... I am glad they are done but they are done so repetitively thru the day that for me...it creates an impression that something is wrong or not trusted, therefore the over 'cautioness' of the crew. When I see CM's leaning against bars and looking bored to death (understandable since working there must be a huge bore) it also causes an impression of neglect and feeling of uncaring. Dont' know how to explain this but that's how I feel.

    5) I value my safety as much as anyone else or more. Being an airline crew member...where I deal with numerous safety mandates from the FAA, TSA and other initiatives, and witness first hand day in and day out the sad state of passengers who are totally oblivious to their safety and take flying for granted. But the WDW monos are not flying machines and safety demos are not mandated by laws... They are monorails that have been in service for a long time and should be proven forms of transport by now. So after all this years...why isn't there more confidence in their mechanical reliability I wonder? If a monorail is given proper maintenance nightly, there should be no reason why they have to follow up constantly in the middle of the day, and the need to do it on guests' time???

    The big difference is that you Mike have been conditioned to think of the monorail as an "attraction" as opposed to a bona-fide mode of transportation. I see the monorail as a transport mode and an added chore to get to the MK. Maybe another reason why there is no sense of urgency to operate it more "in tune" with the transport needs it's supposed to offer guests.

    Again... not trying to change your opinion on all things monorails but not changing my opinion either. We'll have to disagree on this and let it go. But seems to me you need to be a bit more open to the fact that WDW is not the perfect place you make it out to be. Maybe going to the other 4 Disney resorts on Earth may or may not change that perception you have about WDW being this most exemplary place on Earth. Like some things at TDR... WDW it's not totally perfect either.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 12-02-2005 at 07:01 PM.

  15. #30

    • Disney Memory Maker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kissimmee, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,671

    Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

    First, I'm changing my opinion on the traffic clearances. I'm now thinking that it has much more to do with looks than safety reasons. I think Disney does them mostly because they don't want one train to be behind another.

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    They are monorails that have been in service for a long time and should be proven forms of transport by now. So after all this years...why isn't there more confidence in their mechanical reliability I wonder?
    Well on the other hand, why don't we turn that argument around. After 14 years, they should have less confidence in their reliability. The longer machines are run, the lower their reliablility is. The monorails do stall among other things (in fact, the other day there was a little bump (although it wasn't the monorail's fault)).

    -Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. USH Tram Upgrades
    By OldSchoolMickey in forum Universal Studios California
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 08:09 AM
  2. VMK Upgrades: August 24
    By figment1986 in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-26-2006, 11:37 AM
  3. VMK Pirates Upgrades....
    By figment1986 in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 07:01 AM
  4. Board upgrades??
    By figment1986 in forum The Tech Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 09:28 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •