Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Disney Bus Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    First, I'm changing my opinion on the traffic clearances. I'm now thinking that it has much more to do with looks than safety reasons. I think Disney does them mostly because they don't want one train to be behind another.
    Well d'uh! I kinda knew that but the "traffic clearance" holds were almost non-existant when the original monorail fleet was in service in the 70's and 80's. Also, dispatch disparaties appear to contribute to these frustrating back ups.

After 14 years, they should have less confidence in their reliability. The longer machines are run, the lower their reliablility is. The monorails do stall among other things (in fact, the other day there was a little bump (although it wasn't the monorail's fault)).
    Bingo, then it's time to either retire the monos or put new ones in service. Or else, fix up the current fleet and update it from nose to nose.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Bingo, then it's time to either retire the monos or put new ones in service. Or else, fix up the current fleet and update it from nose to nose.
    I'm sure when the time comes, they'll get a new set of monorails. However, right now they don't have the money for that. They are currently replacing the Disneyland fleet/track/station. I'm sure that in a few years, WDW will also start getting a new fleet. But for now, I think the current fleet is safe enough and capable/effiecient enough to last for a while.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• See you there!

I think the GPS tracking systems will a great enhancement.

One other enahncement I would really, really like to see is easier load-unload for scooters and such. The current system is just a pain to use. Back up onto a lift, precision backing not easy, then with a crowd of anxious folks waiting to go, it makes it even harder, I feel like I am holding up everyone from starting their day, my own guilt trip. Then there's the state of the lifts (last time I used them) some worked well, some had seen better days, some just did not work. Then there's the drivers, great folks all... most try to be very helpful, but it seems that some of them had better training in helping folks with scooters and some may have had no training, need more consistancy.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy

• Disney Memory Maker

The new busses (they've been around for a few years) eliminates the lift. The busses are already very low. What they do is they lower the right side of the bus (via hydrolics) and a little ramp extends out. The person in the wheelchair then just moves onto the bus. The door is wide and even the worst ECV drivers can get on these.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

CuatDL, at TDR..the TDR Line monorail floors are aligned with the floors so you can roll your wheelchair or scooter without the need of a ramp, and because the trains are computer driven, the door aligned with the gates perfectly and the cabins are wide body and spacious to hold many wheelchairs at once. Mind you..not too many people use chairs or scooters in TDR, and just recently TDL and TDS started offering scooters for rent..so we'll see what the demand is in the next few months.. But regardless what others here may have you believe...the WDW monos are not as guest friendly in many ways... reasons they need to be replaced.

• Disney Memory Maker

CuatDL, at TDR..the TDR Line monorail floors are aligned with the floors so you can roll your wheelchair or scooter without the need of a ramp.....................
    CUatDL was referring to the busses I believe (the actual topic of this thread )

-Michael

• See you there!

The new busses (they've been around for a few years) eliminates the lift. The busses are already very low. What they do is they lower the right side of the bus (via hydrolics) and a little ramp extends out. The person in the wheelchair then just moves onto the bus. The door is wide and even the worst ECV drivers can get on these.

-Michael
    They were just starting to use the new busses a few years ago, and "In theory" they should be better, but many of the drivers didn't know how to use them properly and they still had me tryiing to BACK onto the bus. Well what a pain. Even worse, when the ramp was wet, (frequently*from rain) trying to go up backwards (following directions) my scooter just sat and the rear wheels spun and I got nowhere.

The key here is training, at that time some of the drivers were not properly trained, (or many I came in contact with) so the new busses, which should have been easier only compounded the problem.

Maybe the answer is training. I sure hope so for my next trip.

CU@DL

Andy

• Disney Memory Maker

Then yes, it was the driver's fault. With the new busses, people are able to go in 'head-first' instead of backing up into it. And on a side note, the new-new busses (not the ones mentioned in this article) are even better than the older-new busses because the design eliminates the stairs in the back, greatly improves the layout (especially in the back) and has somewhat larger doors in the back.

-Michael

• Banned User

the new-new busses (not the ones mentioned in this article) are even better than the older-new busses because the design eliminates the stairs in the back, greatly improves the layout (especially in the back) and has somewhat larger doors in the back.
    Just like the TDR Line monorails... over WDW's (Sorry, could not resist)

• See you there!

Then yes, it was the driver's fault. With the new busses, people are able to go in 'head-first' instead of backing up into it. And on a side note, the new-new busses (not the ones mentioned in this article) are even better than the older-new busses because the design eliminates the stairs in the back, greatly improves the layout (especially in the back) and has somewhat larger doors in the back.

-Michael
    Larger door in back would really help, a lot!

Looking forarwd to the new, new busses next time I go (most likley summer 2007 as summer 2006 vacation already planned). Maybe by that time the drivers will be more used to the busses and better trained in their use.

Thanks for the info,

CU@DL

Andy

• Having a Grand Day!

CuatDL, at TDR..the TDR Line monorail floors are aligned with the floors so you can roll your wheelchair or scooter without the need of a ramp,
    That's not really fair considering the stations were designed with the model of train in mind.

The TDL monorail also uses an of the shelf commuter model of Hitachi Monorail, modified with Mickey Mouse Windows. It has no real though put into the aesthetic design of the train, something with the Japanese probably don't care about as long as it's cute.

You really can't just dump an off the shelf Bombardier Monorail in WDW, because we are accustomed to the leer-jets and many would consider it an insult if they went because they are rooted so deep into Disney history.

Re: The Spiels, It all comes down to the All-Star theory of the Tourists ideas of Disney Magic compared to that of the AP. You hate the spiels becuse youve heard them 20000000000 times and the adverts do nothing to help you. The tourists love it because it probaly is the first time in years and it builds their excitement and it's magical to have Stich welome you to the MK. I personaly prefer the music.
    Last edited by drnilescrane; 12-03-2005 at 10:44 PM.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL
    Larger door in back would really help, a lot!

Looking forarwd to the new, new busses next time I go (most likley summer 2007 as summer 2006 vacation already planned). Maybe by that time the drivers will be more used to the busses and better trained in their use.

Thanks for the info,

CU@DL

Andy
    When you go, you're going to get a mixture of the old busses, old-new busses, new-new busses and the new-new-new busses (the ones mentioned in the article). Most likely though, there won't be many old busses and depending on when you go, you may or may not see a lot of the new features (like audio/video on the bus).

-Michael

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    It has no real though put into the aesthetic design of the train, something with the Japanese probably don't care about as long as it's cute.
    I guess the chinese must also think that everything is cute since the MTR trains are closely modeled after TDR's "lack of thought" designs. But who cares... neither TDR's nor HKDL's MTR's make me wait for 'traffic clearance' up ahead, so I am happy

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    That's not really fair considering the stations were designed with the model of train in mind.
    Life is *never* fair.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 12-03-2005 at 10:35 PM.

• Disney Memory Maker

Do note TDLFAN that the two quotes in your post were made by drnilescrane, not me.

• Banned User

Do note TDLFAN that the two quotes in your post were made by drnilescrane, not me.
    Ooooops!!! Sorry about that. I can never tell who is who anymore, especially since I was distracted by your silly santa hat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast