Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Nutty about Disney parks

Ideas on how WDW can compete w/ Potter (Star Wars?)

If Disney were to want to find a way to seriously compete with IOA's Harry Potter land and do a big immersive project of their own in WDW, what should they do? And what park would they place it in? How big would it be and what type of attractions would it have? Would it be a major immersion like DCA's Carsland or something small and tacky like A Bug's Land or TSPL? Or would it be all indoor like Mermaid Lagoon?

I know people have been thinking about that maybe DHS should do something w/ Star Wars (in the Echo Lake area). I'm no Star Wars nut so I wouldn't know how that would work.

Toss around your ideas and have fun!

• Banned User

Re: Ideas on how WDW can compete w/ Potter (Star Wars?)

To me, a Star-Wars-Land is a no brainer. Star Wars has an obsessive geek fan base that matches or exceeds Harry Potter. Star Wars box office is amazingly high. There's an overwhelming amount of Star Wars merchandise, books, and media on the property.

They need to do a completely immersive environment at one of those planets, or maybe a combination. A new E-Ticket won't be in space like Star Tours, but could be on the planet in the atmosphere. The Cloud Planet or the Cities. Take advantage of the Star Wars mythology.

Use the Jedi to great effect. Harry Potter has wizards. Star Wars has their Jedi. Do mind tricks. Levitate. Deflect laser beams. Fight wonderous beasts. Plot against the empire.

• Minion

Star Wars, Beastly Kingdom, something villain related would all be good calls for trap cards for Disney to pull against Potter
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

hmmm...,

I dunno guys. A Star Wars immersive area? Maybe, I have a couple of problems with this idea though. For one thing, Star Wars was at the height of its "mania" some twenty to thirty years ago. Yes, it's still really popular, but it doesn't have the freshness that Potter has. I think it would look like they are trying to do what Universal did with Potter, and they had to go back thirty years to find something as popular.

Personally, I don't think that Disney should try to directly reproduce a Potter-type area. Harry Potter books/movies are a phenomenon unlikely to be repeated in our lifetime (like there has never been another Beatles). Universal got lucky (and they did a good job with it). I think Disney should think more "big-picture" and continue to innovate new, highly-themed rides (a la Expedition Everest and Toy Story Mania) and place such attractions in all four parks. I'd also like them to do a better job of maintaining what's already there, but that's a subject that's been worn out.

Potter really knocked my socks off, and I'll definitely be going back, but truthfully it's a very small area with not a heck of a lot to do. As wonderful as it is, it can't offer a full vacation the way WDW can. I also think that Potter doesn't have a lot of appeal to non-fans, who may be happy to see it once or twice because everyone's talking about it, but may not care to go back again and again and again like die-hard fans. And, there's also the fact that as the last movie comes out, and more times passes, Potter mania will fade the same way Star Wars mania has faded.

Over the long haul, I think WDW could compete best by striving for the highest standards of theming, detail, immersion, cleanliness and up-keep, throughout all four of their parks; and not just dump a lot of money into one area. The Haunted Mansion refurb was a great example of something done right, as is the new Pooh queue. Keep that up, and do A LOT more of that, and they'll stay king of the hill.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Star Wars, Beastly Kingdom, something villain related would all be good calls for trap cards for Disney to pull against Potter
    Or all 3. Disney doesn't just need to match Potter, it needs to exceed it sufficiently enough that folks don't have time to take a day for Universal. That would mean multiple massive expansions. Fantasyland is a good start but a new country at Epcot with major E-Ticket, Beastly Kingdom expansion at Animal Kingdom, and a Star Wars land or Carsland at the Studios would be required to put WDW back on track.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Something has got to be done with both Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. Both parks are in need of more things to do. A new Star Wars territory with different planets represented would be an amazing thing for MILLIONS of fans around the world. You have older Star Wars fans and you have younger Star Wars fans from the Clone Wars series (that's still going on btw).

Being the only place in the world to dine or drink at the Mos Eisley Cantina would be a treat for so many fan boys. It'd make Star Wars weekends even more of a highlight each year.

Animal Kingdom needs a new land and it needs several more attractions. A complete redesign of Dinoland, eliminating the Hester and Chester area would be nice. They should also have "A Bug's Land" but with an assortment of bug displays, fun facts, and a few unique rides. Then they should carry through with Beastly Kingdom, having seen what Universal did and turn into Harry Potter, they can do something better and different.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    For one thing, Star Wars was at the height of its "mania" some twenty to thirty years ago. Yes, it's still really popular, but it doesn't have the freshness that Potter has. I think it would look like they are trying to do what Universal did with Potter, and they had to go back thirty years to find something as popular.
    30 years? Not really. Look at this Top 100 Box Office.

Top 100 Domestic Gross (Unadjusted for Inflation)
    1.Avatar (2009)
    2.Titanic (1997)
    3.The Dark Knight (2008)
    4. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
    5.Shrek 2 (2004)
    6. E. T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
    7.Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
    8.Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
    9.Toy Story 3 (2010)
    10.Spider-Man (2002)
    11.Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)
    12.Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)
    13.The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
    14.Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    15.The Passion of the Christ (2004)
    16.Jurassic Park (1993)
    17.The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
    18.Finding Nemo (2003)
    19.Spider-Man 3 (2007)
    20.Alice in Wonderland (2010)
    21.Forrest Gump (1994)
    22.The Lion King (1994)
    23.Shrek the Third (2007)
    24.Transformers (2007)
    25.Iron Man (2008)
    26.Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
    27.Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)
    28.The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
    29.Iron Man 2 (2010)
    30.Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002)
    Ranked #7, Star Wars I was eleven years ago.
    Ranked #30, Star Wars II was nine years ago.
    Ranked #12, Star Wars III was six years ago.

It's still very popular. The high definition Blu-Ray versions will be released shortly. There's talk about the 3D conversion.

Star Wars 3 did better overall than the recent Alice In Wonderland and Iron Man 2.
    Last edited by StevenW; 01-20-2011 at 11:31 AM.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Next Halloween take a look around. Star Wars is still a top property with today's kids. Its staying-power in pop culture has been unbelievable. Few things match it, and most of the things that do, Disney already owns. It's seriously underutilized in the parks. If they made better use of it, they'd tap into a market of repeat customers they aren't already getting. Star Wars weekends are OK, but the Hyperspace Hoopla isn't going to make fans want to come back like an immersive environment, more attractions, and (as I keep saying hoping someone will hear) a Mos Eisley cantina dining location.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    30 years? Not really. Look at this Top 100 Box Office.

Ranked #7, Star Wars I was eleven years ago.
    Ranked #30, Star Wars II was nine years ago.
    Ranked #12, Star Wars III was six years ago.

It's still very popular. The high definition Blu-Ray versions will be released shortly. There's talk about the 3D conversion.

Star Wars 3 did better overall than the recent Alice In Wonderland and Iron Man 2.
    I knew someone (probably many of you) would argue with me about this!!! Let me try to put it another way:

I'm pretty Old, and I remember quite well the mania over Star Wars when the first three movies came out. I remember the excitement when the second three movies came out. And I'm tellin' ya, it's just not the same. There was something intensely magical about those late '70s and '80s years (like there is about Potter today) and, in my humble opinion, the intensity of it has never been the same. I agree completely that Star Wars has had incredible staying power, appeal to new generations, and universal appeal; but the hysteria that existed decades ago isn't there anymore. Potter-hysteria is still current; it too will fade. "potter" and "star wars" are in two different stages of life.

More "star wars" stuff isn't a bad idea at all. I just think they shouldn't try to "copy" WWoHP. They could do Star Wars, and many other things, as above posters have described in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    I knew someone (probably many of you) would argue with me about this!!! Let me try to put it another way:

I'm pretty Old, and I remember quite well the mania over Star Wars when the first three movies came out. I remember the excitement when the second three movies came out. And I'm tellin' ya, it's just not the same. There was something intensely magical about those late '70s and '80s years (like there is about Potter today) and, in my humble opinion, the intensity of it has never been the same. I agree completely that Star Wars has had incredible staying power, appeal to new generations, and universal appeal; but the hysteria that existed decades ago isn't there anymore. Potter-hysteria is still current; it too will fade. "potter" and "star wars" are in two different stages of life.

More "star wars" stuff isn't a bad idea at all. I just think they shouldn't try to "copy" WWoHP. They could do Star Wars, and many other things, as above posters have described in detail.

OK, I don't disagree with this clarification. The Star Wars mania of the late 70s and early 80s was both more intense and more satisfying (yes, I was around for it too. Tiny, but I remember it.)

But here's the thing - that kind of mania always fades. Must fade. Nothing has held onto that kind of heat for long. Building a big theme park area based on a popular trend like that would be a terrible idea. These places need to last for decades to be worth the investment. Universal is gambling that Harry Potter is going to have lasting appeal. There is no way it will still be as hot as it is now in 30 years, but they have to be hoping it's still in the public's mind then.

Star Wars, while not the new hot thing it once was, is still very popular. That popularity now spreads out over generations of fans. Every indication is that this will remain a top moneymaking property for a long time to come. THAT's a sound investment for a theme park area, much moreso than whatever is the very hottest thing right this minute.

I don't think Disney has a franchise as big as Harry Potter to do a single land to compete just based off the franchise. I Sort of agree wtih Dusty that it needs to be major updates all over the resort. Give the fans so many reasons to stay at WDW that they can't go to USO. No ideas here as everyone has tons already, but the key hurting areas are: Epcot Future world needs udpates on all pavalions except for the living sea. World Showcase needs a major addition. Animal Kingdom needs a DCA isk expansion. THey have a good theme but are missing enough attractions to make it a full day park. Hollywood studios needs to update and expand on many of it's attractions that are based of franchises that are dead (Sounds Dangerous).

• The Study of Wumbo

I really dislike the idea of bringing Carsland to DHS but I think there would be plenty of potential for more Star Wars.

If they brought in Beastly Kingdom now, you KNOW it would clearly be seen as a "rip-off of Harry Potter."
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

•   
    • Minion

A Star Wars Land would be so awesome. With all the Lore that is out there it could be so awesome. Just imagine how awesome the catina could be

If the land was themed right you wouldn't even need a lot of rides to start with. Sure Harry Potter has three rides but two of them were just re-themed the real cream of the crop is the way the land is presented, and the one major ride which happens to rake place in a major landmark from the movies/books.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    If they brought in Beastly Kingdom now, you KNOW it would clearly be seen as a "rip-off of Harry Potter."
    Then I will force the people who say that to learn their Disney History. Beastly Kingdom was planned to open with the Animal Kingdom - 1998. But Disney cheaped out and instead put Camp Minnie Mickey in it's place. 10 years before Harry Potter Land would open at Universal. Then Harry Potter would look like the rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    Then I will force the people who say that to learn their Disney History. Beastly Kingdom was planned to open with the Animal Kingdom - 1998. But Disney cheaped out and instead put Camp Minnie Mickey in it's place. 10 years before Harry Potter Land would open at Universal. Then Harry Potter would look like the rip off.

We know that, but the majority of the public won't ever show up on Micechat for you to explain it to them. The boat as been missed.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast