Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Now with 5% more insanity

Re: Splash Mountain Adds Lap Bars...

*sigh* These really shouldn't be necessary, but unfortunately idiots do exist in the world. Sure, it's probably going to be uncomfortable, but I suppose it is for the better, and it's not really that big of a deal.

(Of course, perhaps giving safety to those who stand up during the ride isn't the best thing... Isn't that allowing them to breed?)

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I have circled where the lap bars attach to the logs.
    Attachment 9878
    oh. I see the screws now. I thought those were grippers at first.

I don't see what the big issue is. Maybe we can now enjoy the ride without idiots standing up now.
    Last edited by Disneytwins; 01-22-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

First off, if they added lap bars, then while I realize there are some disadvantages, SAFETY does come first and if there was one accident due to idoit tourist Jane Doe getting out of the log and getting her self killed, the media would be all over Disney for NOT doing this first. Poeple standing up or getting out... that we have heard of seveal times. Log rolling over, not so much. More on that later but for now.....

Disneytwins is corrent, THOSE are not lap bars in that photo, they are clearly the bumpers that have always been on the logs. I cannot tell, if the red circle area are skip pads or the area that the lap bars are inserted into, I do see the screws but they still look like skid pads and I believe those have always been there as well. The lap bar would be pulled back towards the dummies, and at the angle of the picture you should be able to clearly see the bar going into where skip pad is.

IF there are lap bars on this "new log" it is not visible in the picture, those are definately bumpers and I see no bar going INTO the circled area. I do think Lap Bars are nessesary though.

As far as rolling over...... I think once disney sold a Pirates boat at auction and warned that the ride vechicle, unlike when used on the attraction it was designed for, would be extremely capible of rolling over in a regular body of water. But I do believe confined to its designed tracked, it is NOT possible for the log to roll ever as the water is never deep enough and the bottom of the log is either on track or just inches above bottom. usually if you rock your log while it "floats" down stream and you hit bottom very easily.

The follow picture proves that, those skip pads or whatever they are, are new installments.

Last edited by Spacoli; 01-22-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    Motor Mania!

Bumpers have always been on the boats like that, but I can tell that these ones replaced the old ones.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

I meant skip pads, oops. Sorry, for any confusion.
    Motor Mania!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Spacoli View Post
    Why has society fallen into a state like this? Don't people have the mental capacity to read signs, or even listen to the overbearing audio warnings?
    They're tourists. They check their brains, common sense and logical thinking as soon as they go on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    That's why log flumes don't have seatbelts or lap bars - but somehow this one just got some.
    Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls at IOA has lap bars.

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    They can't. DL's logs will have to be replaced with new ones equipped with lap bars as the current logs cant be retrofitted with lap bars.
    Ripsaw Falls logs have the same seating configuration as DL's Splash Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch626626 View Post
    A loop? Like going upside down? Or like a corkscrew?
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post

I don't see what the big issue is. Maybe we can now enjoy the ride without idiots standing up now.
    It's not the end of the world. It's a bummer for my family because both my girls love the ride but are scared to death of the drop, and it's been nice to be able to sit between them. Can't do that anymore.

I wonder if some specific incident led to the decision to install lap bars now. The ride has been open for, what, fifteen or twenty years?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Jumping out of logs is a huge issue. I know at Islands of Adventure when there is a jumper (someone who simply gets out of the log while the attraction is in normal operation) it creates a huge issue, and forces an emergency stop, and an evacuation, and the whole ride has to be cycled before you can start putting people back on. Rip Saw Falls has gone through massive revisions of it's ride system to help make this a thing of the past, they even have employees at the base of every incline, and at the top of the main drop to help prevent jumpers.

Sadly I wish everyone would just stay put, and obey the rules, but it is not the reality of the situation. I am not 100% sure that these are lapbars, this isn't anything I have heard first hand. But if they are, then so be it, and if not so be it. In the end I just want less downtime, and Emergency Stops.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Banned User

I sincerely hope that they ban anyone idiotic enough to jump out of a moving ride vehicle...

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

I know this is a problem on Splash, because I saw it! A few years ago (I think '08), we saw a small girl (maybe 8?) sitting on the steps on the main lift hill, crying. She clearly jumped from the log. The worst part? The CMs had no clue until WE told them, and they immediately hit the Estop.

People can make terrible decisions, especially when children feel threatened. Lap bars don't ruin the experience, and as long as it helps eliminate what I saw - it's a Win/Win to me.
    -Monorail Man

During my trip in Nov 2000, some guy got out of the log, walked around a bit then tried to cross over the water. He fell in, and got crushed between two logs. They closed Splash for the day.
    NewsChannel2000 - Man Dies On Disney's Splash Mountain

I've worked at a place near splash and I remember that at the bottom of the drop... almost every other log that came down the drop had to be told to remain seated. I knew it's a matter of time.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

A friend of mine who used to work at Splash Mt. told me that guests try to get up and out of the log with shocking frequency - either trying to avoid that final drop, because the ride stops and they can't wait two minutes for it to start again, or just out of a desire to cause mischief. I wish this didn't have to happen, but if it keeps guests safer and the ride doesn't have to e-stop as often then I accept it as necessary.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    you can bet disneyland will get this soon...
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    Thanks, morons, for ruining it for the rest of us
    And this is who needs to be blamed, not Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    I know this is a problem on Splash, because I saw it! A few years ago (I think '08), we saw a small girl (maybe 8?) sitting on the steps on the main lift hill, crying. She clearly jumped from the log. The worst part? The CMs had no clue until WE told them, and they immediately hit the Estop.

People can make terrible decisions, especially when children feel threatened. Lap bars don't ruin the experience, and as long as it helps eliminate what I saw - it's a Win/Win to me.
    And this ... the likelihood of this happening is a LOT more likely than a log tipping over. As something like this probably happens on a weekly basis right now with the logs.

As was said before, Dudley Do Rights at IOA has lap-bars and they work just fine. They have the same configuration as Disneyland's Splash Mtn so I can very easily see some kind of restraint system coming into play in Anaheim.

The only thing that I have a question on is they are saying they are "Big Thunder" type lap bars. I honestly don't know what good those would do as it's still VERY easy for a child to get out of those lap bars if they REALLY wanted to.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast