Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Splash Mountain Adds Lap Bars...

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

And this is who needs to be blamed, not Disney.

I know, I'm not mad at Disney. I'm definitely mad at the morons.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    I know, I'm not mad at Disney. I'm definitely mad at the morons.
    I wasn't implying that you were ... sorry if it came off that way.

• Disney Memory Maker

And this is who needs to be blamed, not Disney.
    But again, the implication is that somehow these lap bars will ruin the overall value of the ride, which I simply don't understand.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    But again, the implication is that somehow these lap bars will ruin the overall value of the ride, which I simply don't understand.
    If you are not comfortable while sitting, it ruins your ride experience. While Mulholland Madness was a bad ride, it was even worse due to the seats. Lap bars for many make it a much more cramped ride and that will make me decide if it's worth it or not to go on.

• formerly very helpful

This may not be true, but has anyone heard anything about lap bars being installed next on IASW?

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    This may not be true, but has anyone heard anything about lap bars being installed next on IASW?
    So people are getting out on IASW too! Actually you can't blame em'...

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Log flume attractions all over the world are prone to jumpers. A reason why you might not have as many Jumpers on IASW or Pirates is because you are in a boat with strangers vs. on Splash Mountain when you normally are in a boat just with your friends and family.

Jumpers are real.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Want some candy?

in a house made of sticks in a thistle patch

Re: Splash Mountain Add's Lap Bars...

I don't see the problem, safety always must come first. And let's be honest, if thematically you are willing to accept a log having hand bars, I think you can accept a bar having lap bars. Take a step back and put this into perspective... really not something to get upset over.
    sadly there are *some* of us who can not sit in a side by side ride with someone *smaller* than us and still use the lap bars. in other words...i'm fat...if someone next to me is skinny (as is want to happen when my bois are with me), the skinny person doesn't get to use the lap bar because...well...i'm fat.

so...yeah...there it is. nix the lap bars disney...or i will for SURE not be going to WDW ever.
    How shall i do it?
    I know...i'll turn him into a flea
    a harmless little flea
    then i'll put that flea in a box
    then i'll put that box into another box
    and then i'll mail that box to myself
    and when it arrives?!?!?!
    I'LL SMASH IT WITH A HAMMAH!!!!!!!!!!!
    it's Brilliant Brilliant BRILLIANT i tell you! Genius i say!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

IASW and POC are both "flooded" at WDW, so jumpers aren't as common. They have to trample through water to get to the sets. I know that was an issue at D-Land's IASW, where it is an actual "flume."

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Log flume attractions all over the world are prone to jumpers. A reason why you might not have as many Jumpers on IASW or Pirates is because you are in a boat with strangers vs. on Splash Mountain when you normally are in a boat just with your friends and family.

Jumpers are real.
    Yeah. Real stupid.

I wasn't implying that you were ... sorry if it came off that way.
    Not at all! Didn't take you the wrong way, just agreeing, Disney needs to protect people from their own stupidity. I just don't understand why it took so many years for them to get around to it on this particular ride.

Assuming that's a real pic of you in your avatar, then I see you are a young guy who most likely does not have two little girls who want your arm around them when they go down that drop. I know that my particular problem is not one that most people will relate to. Again, I'm not saying this is the end of the world. It's just a bummer. I can add it to the list of E ticket rides where I can't sit with both of them, like Space, Everest, etc. Thunder still works for us: even with the lap bar, the seats and bar are designed in such a way that three will still work.

Quote Originally Posted by RooBear View Post
    IASW and POC are both "flooded" at WDW, so jumpers aren't as common. They have to trample through water to get to the sets. I know that was an issue at D-Land's IASW, where it is an actual "flume."
    Peace,
    Roo
    I bet I could jump from the boat into the Mexico portion if I really tried!

Quote Originally Posted by EeyorezLilSis View Post
    sadly there are *some* of us who can not sit in a side by side ride with someone *smaller* than us and still use the lap bars. in other words...i'm fat...if someone next to me is skinny (as is want to happen when my bois are with me), the skinny person doesn't get to use the lap bar because...well...i'm fat.

so...yeah...there it is. nix the lap bars disney...or i will for SURE not be going to WDW ever.

Hmm, another good point I actually forgot about. It's not just adults of different weights, but also kids sitting with adults, then the lap bar doesn't really do anything for the kid. Can't think of what attraction I noticed this on recently, but I remember it happening

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    They can't. DL's logs will have to be replaced with new ones equipped with lap bars as the current logs cant be retrofitted with lap bars.
    ... and that didn't stop WDW. They would need new logs too to fit a controllable restraint system.. and as Bill confirmed, they did. No reason to believe DL's aren't next when the moons align.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

I don't see what the big deal is. Sure, they took out some of the "thrill" but it's for your safety.

Re: Splash Mountain Add's Lap Bars...

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch626626 View Post
    Depends on who you ask. I'd say that a lap bar is 1 step towards Six Flags styled rides. And Six Flags has terrible rides compared to Disneyland.
    This doesn't make any sense. First of all, no Six Flags log flume has lap bars. Secondly, most restraint systems are manufacturer-designed and mandated. Thirdly, other Disney rides have restraints and are still enjoyable. Fourthly, restraints are designed for the safety of all riders. Fifthly, some people prefer Six Flags' rides to Disney's.

I can keep going on, but this argument makes no sense.

• May the F=ma be with you

I thinat most people here are missing is that these bars are not safety devices. They are being used as deterrents for jumpers.
    It doesn't matter if a kid is not tightly secured. For them, it's just like the log without the lapbars which has been around since the ride debuted. As long as you either keep your kids in the log or tell them to not jump out, there will be no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast