Locals, How often do you stay at the Walt Disney World Hotels?

I am curious to know if people who live near Disney World stay on property? If you stay on a Walt Disney World property, how long do you stay?

Re: Locals, How often do you stay at the Walt Disney World Hotels?

I live in south florida, disney is about a 2.5/3 hr drive away from me. We have been seasonal passholders for the past 2 years. We usually go up just for weekend trips about every month or so. Most of the time we just drive up saturday morning and come back sunday afternoon, but every now and then we'll have a friday off and head up friday and stay for 2 nights.

Up until recently we have always stayed at disney. But we have discovered more value in staying off-site. Disney hotels really dont provide much value other than being immersed in the magic 24/7, free transportation, and emh. But with the amount of money most disney hotels charge there really should be more bang for your buck. The busses seem to get worst and worst everytime we go, took us over an hour total just to get from the mk to the boardwalk at 6pm on a saturday, so its really much simpler and efficient to to use our car. Most off-site hotels offer free breakfast too, which is a huge plus as it usually saves us about $40-$50.

We plan on heading up there at the end of february for our weekend trip. Did a quick search and moderates were at almost $200, values at $100 and that just seems like way too much money for 1 night. We decided to stay at the comfort suites which only came out to $80, room for 5, free breakfast and wireless? There is just no beating that at disney.

We would love to stay at disney again, and I dream of spending a night at one of the monorail resorts one day, but when polynesian is almost $500 for a night, and contemporary almost $400 for a night, it just doesnt seem feasible.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I live in Clearwater, which is 90 minutes from WDW. In the last 4 or 5 years I've visited the parks, I've made a long weekend out of it 2 or 3 times a year and stay at a hotel. Sometimes it's been on WDW property and sometimes I don't. It depends on where I can get the best hotel deal. I was lucky a few times scoring rooms at Port Orleans & Pop Century for less than Disney's regular price using 3rd party booking sites (hotels.com, Travelocity...). I've also stayed at a few of the hotels by Downtown Disney on Hotel Plaza Blvd.

Last time I was in Orlando for 4 or 5 days and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express that's maybe a mile from Downtown Disney. I got a great rate ($65/night I think). The room was big (had a king bed), free wifi and free hot breakfast each morning. Can't beat that.

Like what chinitopoop said... I would LOVE to stay at the Polynesian, but $500 a night is more than half a paycheck for me. I remember when the AP rate for the "deluxe" hotels like the Poly & Contemporary was $99 a night.

I'm a native Orlandoan. As such, Disney is usually a day trip. For some strange reason, my family and I once stayed at the Wilderness Lodge for about a week. I believe it was pretty new at the time. I'm not sure if this stay had any effect on my opinion, but it's still my favorite Disney hotel to visit. I actually recall not liking our room for one reason or another, but I've always enjoyed the public areas. We've also camped at Fort Wilderness a couple times. I'm not really a fan.

• When Will It Return?

I know that if I was a local, I'd stay off-property and then spend as much time as I possibly could at the parks/resorts. Only difference is $15 at a Park, or $0 at a Resort, and what pillow you're sleeping on at night.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    I know that if I was a local, I'd stay off-property and then spend as much time as I possibly could at the parks/resorts. Only difference is $15 at a Park, or $0 at a Resort, and what pillow you're sleeping on at night.

Oh there is still something fun about staying at at WDW hotel. I am local, and boy have I done it. Just not recently. 2010 I goosed egged on any WDW hotel stays. But a two night stay in a FW cabin during the holidays..... FUN! So many festive light displays. A couple of nights at the Y&B, mainly for a relaxing weekend by its pool, with some quick jaunts over to Epcot.

Stayed in Saratoga Springs December 31st so I would not have to drive back after a night of celebrating. Even booked the 1st so I would not have to worry about checking out by the standard 11am check out time.

So with the exception of 2010, I would say 2-3 times a year. I hope 2011 will see the return of this pattern.