How do the Late Extra Magic Hours Work?

OK, I understand how the Early Extra Magic Hours work at The Walt Disney Resort Parks.
    Regular Park opens @ 9:00, You are staying at a Resort Hotel, and you show up @ 8:00 and show them your Pass and room key and you get in an Hour early. It has to be the park that has the Extra Magic hours that day. No room key, no Entry, that's simple.

How does the Late Extra Magic Hours work?
    I know that whatever park that has the late hours is open about 2 hours after regular closing.
    Is it an honor system where they ask those not a resort guest to leave?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: How do the Late Extra Magic Hours Work?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
    OK, I understand how the Early Extra Magic Hours work at The Walt Disney Resort Parks.
    Regular Park opens @ 9:00, You are staying at a Resort Hotel, and you show up @ 8:00 and show them your Pass and room key and you get in an Hour early. It has to be the park that has the Extra Magic hours that day. No room key, no Entry, that's simple.

How does the Late Extra Magic Hours work?
    I know that whatever park that has the late hours is open about 2 hours after regular closing.
    Is it an honor system where they ask those not a resort guest to leave?
    Same idea: you show your room key to be allowed to stay and ride attractions after hours. After a while, the assumption is all the non resort guests have been weeded out, so you won't need to show it all night.

And the evening hours are 3 hours, not 2.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Characters are my friends

It depends on the attraction. Some do ask for most of the night (I know we did at TSM).
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

• When Will It Return?

Room keys are asked for at attraction entrances, though there's no chance that said keys are checked for validity - only existence.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Thanks,
    Three hours it is, and don't forget the room key :-)

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I wish they'd go back to the wristband system. Just having to flash your room key tempts less than honest people to try to cheat the system by using old room keys, though I know some CM's will closely look at them to make sure they're not out of date.

• Characters are my friends

I wish they would too
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

We are staying on property, so I am not trying to find out how to cheat the system, I was just wondering how it works.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I wish they'd go back to the wristband system. Just having to flash your room key tempts less than honest people to try to cheat the system by using old room keys, though I know some CM's will closely look at them to make sure they're not out of date.
    Honestly, the wristbands were a huge waste of money, they made it look like a county fair, and they were being abused just as much as roomkeys are currently. If you know the system, plain and simple, you can stay in the park no matter if you're staying on or off property. I'm not condoning this behavior of course, but it is very common. And evidently most park execs are okay with it... it's added revenue anyhow, and doesn't really hurt anything. (Yes, it risks lowering the perceived value of EMH as a resort benefit if other people can ride rides as well, but then again, in reality, EMH isn't really a benefit anyhow... it's more of a crowd control device cooked up by penny-pinching execs that wanted only one park to stay open later instead of three, effectively reducing the weekly park hours for Guests (an anti-benefit of EMH even existing at all), and also in turn saving money on labor.)

Perhaps you can tell, I am not a supporter of the concept of EMH at all. Sorry to be so negative, but you've all been conned into thinking that EMH is a resort benefit over the years, when it's really the opposite.
    -Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Honestly, the wristbands were a huge waste of money, they made it look like a county fair, and they were being abused just as much as roomkeys are currently. If you know the system, plain and simple, you can stay in the park no matter if you're staying on or off property. I'm not condoning this behavior of course, but it is very common. And evidently most park execs are okay with it... it's added revenue anyhow, and doesn't really hurt anything. (Yes, it risks lowering the perceived value of EMH as a resort benefit if other people can ride rides as well, but then again, in reality, EMH isn't really a benefit anyhow... it's more of a crowd control device cooked up by penny-pinching execs that wanted only one park to stay open later instead of three, effectively reducing the weekly park hours for Guests (an anti-benefit of EMH even existing at all), and also in turn saving money on labor.)

Perhaps you can tell, I am not a supporter of the concept of EMH at all. Sorry to be so negative, but you've all been conned into thinking that EMH is a resort benefit over the years, when it's really the opposite.

Ok... here I am finding myself AGREEING with Bill. And not just casually agreeing.

EMH in the evening are an excuse to not return the parks to their old operating hours. The advent of evening EMH came not so long after the good old summer days of 7 nights week of midnight closings for the MK. Epcot use to be open until 10pm during the same time frame. Now Epcot is 9pm, and MK is usally 11, but it does have some midnighters thrown in for good measure. Studios is also trimmed back. So on most nights these parks are closing a hour or so earlier then they use to. So now they took those hours and concentrated them at ONE of the parks, for three hours. They day guests get ripped off an hour, and the resort guests all get funneled into ONE park. Some EMH evenings are ok, but others can be Crowded. Maybe not as crowded at 3pm on a Tuesday in July, but crowded enough that the exclusivity of the benefit is lost.