Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist

"Dated Tomorrowland"

An article in Time Magazine discusses futurist Kurzweil and the predicted "singularity" (when computing power is so advanced in 2045, you can essentially download consciousness and humans will live forever).

At one point, the article takes a dig at Tomorrowland:

A hundred years from now, Kurzweil and de Grey and the others could be the 22nd century's answer to the Founding Fathers — except unlike the Founding Fathers, they'll still be alive to get credit — or their ideas could look as hilariously retro and dated as Disney's Tomorrowland. Nothing gets old as fast as the future.
    Singularity: Kurzweil on 2045, When Humans, Machines Merge - TIME

At first I was indignant, but then I realized you can't really argue with that, especially in the context of the article.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Banned User

Re: "Dated Tomorrowland"

You should hardly be indignant. No one reads Time Magazine much these days.

Nonetheless, Tomorrowland's past shows that nothing can be predicted.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    You should hardly be indignant. No one reads Time Magazine much these days.
    Ah. The "pay no attention to that canary in the coal mine" theory. In fact:
    "January marked a record number of readers for TIME.com, according to Omniture: 22.5 million unique visitors."

Source here.

Nonetheless, Tomorrowland's past shows that nothing can be predicted.
    More to the point, Tomorrowland's sorry present shows that Disney can be predicted to keep its head in the past, among other places.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Ah. The "pay no attention to that canary in the coal mine" theory. In fact:
    "January marked a record number of readers for TIME.com, according to Omniture: 22.5 million unique visitors."
    Source here.

Pay no attention to the actual magazine (the print version), Time Magazine, the actual canary. Circulation went down. Good luck with that.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

You look at WDW's tomorrowland, and everything screams 1970's. sure they have had updates, and sure cartoon characters have moved in, and sure things have been super stale like Carousel of Progress. In the end it can't escape it's streamlined cement structure design.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Senior Minion

Pay no attention to the actual magazine (the print version), Time Magazine, the actual canary. Circulation went down. Good luck with that.
    The numbers for print magazines, like print newspapers, are all falling. People read them online.

The point is that Time.com has a strong readership, and blowing off the OP's quote because "nobody reads Time anymore" is as bogus as when Disney used to laugh off the internet in general, and Al Lutz in particular, as "nobody pays any attention to them."

Disney and its defenders can play the denial card and spin the statistics all they want -- out in the real world, DL's and WDW's once-famous Tomorrowlands are a sad joke.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

Oh!
    BURN!
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The numbers for print magazines, like print newspapers, are all falling. People read them online.

The point is that Time.com has a strong readership, and blowing off the OP's quote because "nobody reads Time anymore" is as bogus as when Disney used to laugh off the internet in general, and Al Lutz in particular, as "nobody pays any attention to them."

Disney and its defenders can play the denial card and spin the statistics all they want -- out in the real world, DL's and WDW's once-famous Tomorrowlands are a sad joke.
    Nobody is in denial about Tomorrowland. I haven't heard anyone defend it here.

But some quotes are not worth the effort that you bestow upon them as such.

More to the point, Tomorrowland's sorry present shows that Disney can be predicted to keep its head in the past, among other places.
    No matter how terrible Tomorrowland is, it is merely an amusement park section of the park. Keep it in perspective.

How about a change to TL in the same vain as Disney Paris. Go with the Jules Verne theme. Then our short sighted friends at TDO won't have to even attempt to look forward.
    Thanks Walt for having a vision and sticktoittivness. Thanks Roy for being by his side.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by whtmtn View Post
    How about a change to TL in the same vain as Disney Paris. Go with the Jules Verne theme. Then our short sighted friends at TDO won't have to even attempt to look forward.
    How about us at DL can switch! You can give us the iron-age look and we could give you the 1800s Jules Verne look!

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Though I have all always thought that Tomorrowland at MK and Future World at Epcot was kind of redundant. Let's just make MK a toon park. Let's just come to grips with it, and toonify the whole flippin thing, and let Epcot be the real Tomorrowland.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

I still think Magic Kingdom's tomorrowland looks better than the bronze-silver-bluish mess we have here in Anaheim. lol
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

• TTA Metroliner Passenger

Quote Originally Posted by SS77 View Post
    I still think Magic Kingdom's tomorrowland looks better than the bronze-silver-bluish mess we have here in Anaheim. lol
    I won't disagree with that. At least WDW's Tomorrowland is mostly-cohesively themed and has a running PeopleMover. But Tomorrowlands aren't really something Disney does well, stateside at least. I wouldn't mind seeing either one go down for extended refurb.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Dated Tomorrowland... But married Adventureland.

Who cares if Tomorrowland is outdated now, just read the article! By the time the human civilization reaches the Singularity, we'll be able to visit OUR OWN VERSION of a Disney theme park however and whenever we want. That's implying advanced artificial intelligence doesn't wipe us all out due to our slow progress, limited intelligence and expendable existence.

I just hope that one day I'll be able to explore the worlds of Disney and interact with the characters as if they were real people/toys/cars/robots/animals. Oh and I'm totally up for staying young FOREVER. Although I would never steal a magic baby and comb their 70 ft sun hair to do so. I see you Mother Gothel!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast