View Poll Results: Should the 1 billion be spent on Hollywood studios

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love the new reservation system idea the money is being well spent

    2 4.65%
  • Give Hollywood studios the DCA treatment instead

    29 67.44%
  • Neither use it elsewhere in WDW

    12 27.91%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake
    Posts
    1,947

    1 billion on the new queue system or give hollywood studios the DCA treatment

    So for a really long time I have felt that the Hollywood Studios needed some major help. The universal type theme is really not working especially with Universal right down the road. Should Disney have put the 1 Billion they are investing in this new reservation based queue system or would it be better spent reviving Hollywood studios?

    What are your thoughts?
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

  2. #2

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: 1 billion on the new queue system or give hollywood studios the DCA treatment

    i like the next gen que concept, hate the reserve from home idea. take that money and use it on HS my ideas will come up on the DIP as soon as im done with AK hope you check it out

  3. #3

    • Nutty about Disney parks
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,665

    Re: 1 billion on the new queue system or give hollywood studios the DCA treatment

    Don't forget DAK. Put some of that money into finally getting Beastly Kingdom in there.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake
    Posts
    1,947

    Re: 1 billion on the new queue system or give hollywood studios the DCA treatment

    Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Don't forget DAK. Put some of that money into finally getting Beastly Kingdom in there.
    Oh I thought of this but in my opinion I think the Hollywood studios is in greater need. I would love to see DAK get some expansion including Beastly Kingdom.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

  5. #5

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: 1 billion on the new queue system or give hollywood studios the DCA treatment

    I sometimes really do not understand what people are thinking! lol I would much rather have highly immersive queues that are part of the experience i.e. Hogwarts... vs. skipping the line and just jumping on a mediocre ride i.e. Test Track

    Give me a story, take me on an adventure. Don't turn the line into the enemy.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  6. #6

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake
    Posts
    1,947

    Re: 1 billion on the new queue system or give hollywood studios the DCA treatment

    Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I sometimes really do not understand what people are thinking! lol I would much rather have highly immersive queues that are part of the experience i.e. Hogwarts... vs. skipping the line and just jumping on a mediocre ride i.e. Test Track

    Give me a story, take me on an adventure. Don't turn the line into the enemy.
    I could not agree more look at the amazing line for expedition everest you miss all of that if you fast pass that ride!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

  7. #7

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: 1 billion on the new queue system or give hollywood studios the DCA treatment

    Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    I could not agree more look at the amazing line for expedition everest you miss all of that if you fast pass that ride!
    Exactly! I love how when WWoHP opened the UO team said "our attraction is an hour long" because the line is so immerse.

    And I was like nice "spin" UO.... then I went on FJ at WWoHP and I personally don't like the single riders line because you miss so much of the set up. I would much rather wait 75 mins in line so that I can experience the entire Hogwarts Experience.

    I have free Express on my AP, and even if they did offer Express on FJ I wouldn't use it, because the queue is part of the attraction.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  8. #8

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake
    Posts
    1,947

    Re: 1 billion on the new queue system or give hollywood studios the DCA treatment

    Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Exactly! I love how when WWoHP opened the UO team said "our attraction is an hour long" because the line is so immerse.

    And I was like nice "spin" UO.... then I went on FJ at WWoHP and I personally don't like the single riders line because you miss so much of the set up. I would much rather wait 75 mins in line so that I can experience the entire Hogwarts Experience.

    I have free Express on my AP, and even if they did offer Express on FJ I wouldn't use it, because the queue is part of the attraction.
    And to me having immersive lines as part of the attraction is what Disney created and is known for so why remove that experience. Look at how well done tower of terror's line is. Then you look at something like the Indiana Jones and the temple of the forbiden eye at DL and the use of fast pass there has completely ruined that amazing queue they built. You now walk past everything and no longer get to hunt for the interactive elements they put in and really miss all of that detail.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

  9. #9

    • Bangarang!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: 1 billion on the new queue system or give hollywood studios the DCA treatment

    I voted for giving DHS the DCA treatment, but I wouldn't give the whole Billion to the Studios. Maybe $700m and the rest to the other 3.


    "We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

  10. #10

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake
    Posts
    1,947

    Re: 1 billion on the new queue system or give hollywood studios the DCA treatment

    Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    I voted for giving DHS the DCA treatment, but I wouldn't give the whole Billion to the Studios. Maybe $700m and the rest to the other 3.
    I could live with that!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bottom of the ocean
    Posts
    960

    Re: 1 billion on the new queue system or give hollywood studios the DCA treatment

    DHS needs more like 2 or 3 billion for a DCA treatment. 1 billion wont cut it. DHS has been run into the ground and it needs a LOT of help to be fixed up.

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    145

    Re: 1 billion on the new queue system or give hollywood studios the DCA treatment

    It really depends.

    If interactive queues aren't just video games, then I'm down for them (just not $1 billion wroth) So yes, I would like the money to go to improving parks that are lacking, but DCA treatment implies destroying theme. And that is something I would not like to see.

  13. #13

    • When Will It Return?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    1,348

    Re: 1 billion on the new queue system or give hollywood studios the DCA treatment

    Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I sometimes really do not understand what people are thinking! lol I would much rather have highly immersive queues that are part of the experience i.e. Hogwarts... vs. skipping the line and just jumping on a mediocre ride i.e. Test Track

    Give me a story, take me on an adventure. Don't turn the line into the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    I could not agree more look at the amazing line for expedition everest you miss all of that if you fast pass that ride!
    Well, you actually don't miss *all* of that when going through Everest's FastPass queue. While it is true that not everything in the stand-by queue can be seen from the FP queue, there are some things in the FP queue that can't be seen in the Stand-by queue. And let's try not paint a false picture where literally any & all immersive theme elements are completely missed by using FP on Everest. There's a whole lot of immersion to be had even with the FastPass.

    Having to choose between highly-immersive themed queues and FastPass is a false choice. There's plenty of immersion to be had the various FP queues of WDW from Mission: Space to Test Track to Everest to Pooh to the rest. Is some stuff missed? Yes, but it isn't like there is nothing.

    Then you look at something like the Indiana Jones and the temple of the forbiden eye at DL and the use of fast pass there has completely ruined that amazing queue they built. You now walk past everything and no longer get to hunt for the interactive elements they put in and really miss all of that detail.
    Oh please. No one's holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to sprint down the queue as fast as they possibly can while wearing a blindfold, as you imply. People can walk at their own pace and observe all the details however they choose to. The people I see doing any sort of "rushing" down Indy's queue are the people who've seen Indy's queue a few hundred times, and don't need to examine every square millimeter of the queue because they already have multiple times, but still enjoy riding the ride. That's one of the ways Disneyland CA is different than WDW FL. The locals know precisely what's there and don't need to spend another hour examining it. First-timers are free to examine at their leisure, but hopefully they don't mind people walking around/past them.

    But more to the point, FastPass didn't create that situation. If the FastPass queue/Stand-by queue merge point was at the film room rather than the temple's entrance, you might have a point, but the merge is actually at the temple entrance. There is no shortcutting. There are no queue elements 'missed' unless people choose to miss them. Disney wasn't brainless in their choice of where to put the merge point.

    I'd imagine you'll see more of this in the future when NextGen takes hold. It's looking like Disney considers the attraction queue of the future to be a shorter FastPass (or whatever it's called) queue that contains some, but not all, thematic elements...and an immersive/interactive Stand-By queue filled with all sorts of diversions from kids' toys to video games to trivia questions to what have you.

    We'll have a choice, just like we have now, only then the choice may not be between FastPass and being stuck in line with nothing to do. Now Stand-by'ers might have quite a bit to do, which will increase the number of people choosing Stand-by, like mickdaddy & King Eric here, and having a great time with it. I'm all for that, though I'll probably still primarily use FastPass whenever/however I can much like I do now.

    In response to the OP, I'm not sure what the "DCA treatment" is, but if it's a $1 Billion capital expansion in shows/attractions, I sure wouldn't mind that coming to the Studios one day, but it doesn't need to be a one or the other thing with NextGen. NextGen is just the latest project to come down the pike. One of the greatest parts of the theme park industry is that this never ends. There's always something to look forward to, and then something to look forward to after that. I'd imagine you'll see "the DCA treatment" coming to the Studios and other places in WDW quite soon. In fact, I'd point to the Hyperion Wharf project as possible evidence that it's already here.

    "Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

  14. #14

    • Autobot Weapon Specialist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    6,208

    Re: 1 billion on the new queue system or give hollywood studios the DCA treatment

    Isn't the 1 billion dollars being divided to Disneyland Resort as well?


  15. #15

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: 1 billion on the new queue system or give hollywood studios the DCA treatment

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    The locals know precisely what's there and don't need to spend another hour examining it. First-timers are free to examine at their leisure, but hopefully they don't mind people walking around/past them.

    But more to the point, FastPass didn't create that situation. If the FastPass queue/Stand-by queue merge point was at the film room rather than the temple's entrance, you might have a point, but the merge is actually at the temple entrance. There is no shortcutting. There are no queue elements 'missed' unless people choose to miss them. Disney wasn't brainless in their choice of where to put the merge point.

    I'd imagine you'll see more of this in the future when NextGen takes hold. It's looking like Disney considers the attraction queue of the future to be a shorter FastPass (or whatever it's called) queue that contains some, but not all, thematic elements...and an immersive/interactive Stand-By queue filled with all sorts of diversions from kids' toys to video games to trivia questions to what have you.

    We'll have a choice, just like we have now, only then the choice may not be between FastPass and being stuck in line with nothing to do. Now Stand-by'ers might have quite a bit to do, which will increase the number of people choosing Stand-by, like mickdaddy & King Eric here, and having a great time with it. I'm all for that, though I'll probably still primarily use FastPass whenever/however I can much like I do now.
    I am going to disagree with you on a few points.

    First: Yes you can go at your own pace, but one thing locals and AP holders don't realize is that they set the tone for everyone in the park, if they are loud and talking on a cellphone on a ride, then day guests feel that is acceptable and that the ride isn't important. If APs just run through the cues, creating a sense of urgency, then day guests feel that energy, and run past all the detail.

    Second: The Forbidden Journey at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure at the Universal Orlando Resort in Orlando Florida is the perfect example of what a theme park attraction should be. I feel that if you spend less than 40 mins in Hogwarts it lessens the experience of the ride.

    In the end people are not paying money to go to a theme park so that they can just go on the highest number of flat rides like at a carnival. People go to escape, be taken out of their world, have an adventure, and bond with family and friends.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Trip Report] Disneyland Resort (11/15 & 11/16)
    By sarki7 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 06:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •