Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Meet Mickey Mouse... with Fastpass.

We announced an exciting first for us this week: the opportunity to nail down a time to meet Mickey Mouse at Walt Disney World Resort using FASTPASS. That’s right, no waiting in the standby queue. Beginning this spring, you’ll get a FASTPASS specifying a one-hour window when you can return to see Mickey for hugs, photos and autographs at his new home, Town Square Theater.

Disney Parks Blog Weekly Recap Disney Parks Blog

Pretty good idea, even thought there will obviously still be waiting, just not in a "Standby" line rather, a Fastpass return line.

Re: Meet Mickey Mouse... with Fastpass.

Urgh.

• Minion

whats so bad about that? i think its a great idea u can wait in normal line but even better with the interactive line tech so it will be awesome. people on the go take a fastpass, its a simple system and i think it will be very popular! just gotta give it a shot

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

So, what are we going to lose in this?

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    So, what are we going to lose in this?

Timekeeper
    While the lines for Mickey are known for being long, it is just another element that gets scheduled, further eroding the ability of enjoying the Resort in a spontaneous manner.

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    While the lines for Mickey are known for being long, it is just another element that gets scheduled, further eroding the ability of enjoying the Resort in a spontaneous manner.
    Is that ability really what we think of it as?

Before FastPass' appointed times ever existed, people generally had a good idea of what attractions would have crushing wait times & when those long waits would & wouldn't be there. At least, the observant ones did. So people who wanted to avoid the waits were "scheduling" their rides long before there were FastPass machines to do that for them. This still happens with shows/attractions that do not offer FastPass tickets.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Minion

if anything this should give the spontaneous MORE freedoms not less by freeing up space in the stand by line, u don't have to schedule FP if you don't want to

• Dreamer

Why don't we just clone Mickey and put him up on every corner all over the park. That was we can reduce the queues to a bare minimum.

• Minion

ORWEN: But didn't you know, Magic Lamp, duckling? There's only ONE Mickey Mouse! And he's already being stretched too thin by being expected to make appearances in so many Disney theme parks around the world!! I don't know how he does it!

ORGOCH: An' I didn't know the word 'thin' was even in yer vocabulary, ya big, fat thing!!

(Sounds of smackings and whackings followed by moans and groans...)

I personally like walking through the parks and running into the characters. My kids love when that happens cause they run up, we have the cameras out and we are rapid shot freaks! I don't think we will be waiting in line for this...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisFREEK View Post
    I personally like walking through the parks and running into the characters. My kids love when that happens cause they run up, we have the cameras out and we are rapid shot freaks! I don't think we will be waiting in line for this...
    Technically you wont.

I think its a great idea as a parent, honestly I dont have any want to take a picture with a man in a suit. However, my daughters would wait eight hours to have his picture so we get a fastpass go do some spontaneous shopping, eating and ride some fun quick rides and then come back in our window. If the interactive queue is all its cracked up to be and we have the time then we wait, there is no lost magic behind seeing mickey in a street or build up of anticipation to meet him in his home or his "building," while waiting in line or for a fastpass.

Also I think micechat should have a word for the year and this years word would be spontaneous because I see it in every other post and how disney is losing it.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• When Will It Return?

People are complaining about spontaneity and I don't really understand that.

I don't hear anyone complaining about how cruises are basically scheduled windows of events, and they must be in order to ensure the guests get their money's worth out of the headlining elements of the cruise. With as many people going through WDW as there are, a similar kind of apparatus is going to be necessary, or else Disney risks appearing as though they don't care about their guests having to wait hours upon hours after having paid all this money for the top-tier shows/attractions/restaurants.

If you want spontaneity, just go during the off-seasons.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    With as many people going through WDW as there are, a similar kind of apparatus is going to be necessary, or else Disney risks appearing as though they don't care about their guests having to wait hours upon hours after having paid all this money for the top-tier shows/attractions/restaurants.
    At Tokyo, the idea is reverse. Keep lines long and random. This will encourage locals to come back more to see everything. If I can only reasonably ride 2-3 things in a day, I will want to come back. It's a plan that works well. Disneyland can use this same plan in their favor - I hope they do. One appreciates the details when they are forced to have a little downtime.

I think what kills us as fans about these plans for WDW is that:

A) Now that people are rushing from event to event, there's no reason to stop and enjoy the parks anymore. This means that Disney doesn't have to sweat the details for theming, because people don't wander anymore. If everyone is skipping the queue, why create a detailed queue?

B) These plans ruin the people who do go and like to just wing it. Ever try to get a sit-down dining reservation same-day or next-day? It's becoming too difficult at WDW. Not to mention that the menus have become simplified.

C) New experiences become less necessary. With more people pre-planning, Disney doesn't need to create new attractions to 'soak in the crowds', because most of the crowd already has plans. Adding characters to this mix now makes them 'attractions', and can fill your day with less actual ride experiences.
    -Monorail Man

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Is that ability really what we think of it as?

Before FastPass' appointed times ever existed, people generally had a good idea of what attractions would have crushing wait times & when those long waits would & wouldn't be there. At least, the observant ones did. So people who wanted to avoid the waits were "scheduling" their rides long before there were FastPass machines to do that for them. This still happens with shows/attractions that do not offer FastPass tickets.
    But what you describe is generalities. It is getting closer and closer to set times. It has moved from generalities to windows. At what point do appointments (like dining has already become) permeate even further?

If you want spontaneity, just go during the off-seasons.
    Without adequate investment to increase capacity there is less and less of an off season.

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    At what point do appointments (like dining has already become) permeate even further?
    Now. NextGen is coming. That $1 Billion will manifest itself as something. People don't want to wait in line. The success of the ADRs is a perfect example of that. NextGen will provide people with the means to avoid long waits during their entire trip, a luxury that many perceived as only within the reach of the uber-rich. They'll love that, especially in the uber-crowded season. The big-spending whales' love for Disney will only skyrocket beyond what it already is.

They don't seem to mind less spontaneity. Neither do DVC members who have to schedule their vacations waaaaay ahead of time just to ensure availability.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Without adequate investment to increase capacity there is less and less of an off season.
    There's plenty of off-season go around. It just depends on how willing people are to take off work, kids out of school, etc. Massive crowds eliminated the ability to be spontaneous decades ago with their marvelous ability to stuff queues to point of explosion, and 4 hour wait times. It's already gone. FP does a pretty good job of providing a means to avoid the crowds, but NextGen could do an even better one. It might make things tougher on groups of individuals all meeting together at the parks from different locations, but families will LOVE the idea of being able to ride without huge wait times & won't care that appointed times were necessary to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast