Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Inappropriate

Re: WDW Pulling the Plug on Grad Nites

One year I went to MK the day after a grad night, and you could still see the aftermath of the night before. Gum stuck in random places, garbage laying around, and just a general dirty feeling. The CMs were clearly trying to hurry and get it cleaned up, but it seemed like more headache for them than it was worth. And it took away a little bit of my (the casual guest) experience. So I say, good riddance. I had my grad night AT my school, so I feel no sympathy. The orlando high school kids will survive.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    So be it. I didn't expect it to run forever. I still don't think Disney is "declining" because they cancelled Grad Nite. It was just an event that they didn't have to do to begin with.
    Tell that to Walt.

Sure, he wasn't around to start the tradition at WDW, but he certainly created the one at Disneyland. He was the one who started the tradition in the first place, which carried over into WDW. It is a declining because it is something they don't have to do, but they did it anyways. Because it was ultimately Walt who wanted it done.

While I understand Disney's reasoning for doing it, this is just one more move on the company's part of distancing itself from the legacy of it's founder. Remember, it is called WALT Disney World -- not just Disney.

If you look at High School Grads from back in the 50s compared to the ones now, it's obvious. Most of them don't want to be there anyway.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Tell that to Walt.

I was going to say that too.

I have worked numerous grad nights, and I think there is a big difference if you have experienced grad night as a kid, and if you are an adult who fell in love with Disney.

Almost every person i know in Florida who has experienced Grad Night talks about it as a cherished childhood memory, something that is all about Disney, all about childhood, all about feeling like the future is full of hope and wonder.

While I had to work it, and working it is no picnic, it is clear that this is something special, that this is a right of passage, this is part of growing up. I am extremely saddened that this is no more.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post

Almost every person i know in Florida who has experienced Grad Night talks about it as a cherished childhood memory, something that is all about Disney, all about childhood, all about feeling like the future is full of hope and wonder.

While I had to work it, and working it is no picnic, it is clear that this is something special, that this is a right of passage, this is part of growing up. I am extremely saddened that this is no more.
    While I feel your pain, because it's always sad to see the demise of something that was special to you as a kid, future kids aren't going to know the difference. Disney itself isn't going anywhere, just this event. Kids will still have their own memories of growing up with Disney, it just won't include this particular event. But as many have said, that will be just fine. I can't help but see this as an improvement for myself and my family, who have not appreciated having to plan our trip around an early close at a prime time of year.

Things change. My kids don't know squat about Bugs Bunny, skee ball, or walking to the local record store to buy the new Billy Idol record. But they have warm fuzzy growing-up memories all their own, unique to their generation. That's life!

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric

It may be a fun party, but special? Really? Come on. Run DMC blaring from Cinderella Castle is neither special, nor has anything to do with childhood. It has everything to do with being able to completely trash someone else's establishment and act like a crazed lunatic, all because you're graduating high school. I sort of pity anyone who'd regard that as a cherished memory because it's very likely that they've never had any memories that are actually worth cherishing.

Grad Nites will just have to happen somewhere else. If the kids get any sort of Grad Nite at all, they'd still have had more Grad Nite than I had. My school cancelled Grad Nite altogether.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Nutty about Disney parks

If given the choice I would keep Grad Nite over Night of Joy.

The latter I've heard nothing but horror stories.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

My school never goes to grad night as well as most other high schools in the country. I would NEVER like to go to Grad Night. Watching a lot of immature teenagers wreck the place I love so dearly would be hell to me. I wouldn't have fun just because of that.

Think of all the people who get kicked out of the park just for this event. Wheres the fun in that?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Goofy

thats too bad. cause grad night brings in lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post

I'm sorry Eric but that has got to be one of the most laughable things I've read on MC in awhile.

I am indifferent about it staying or not but it does seem strange that it is not being ended at DL also. Grad Night is hardly a right of passage, perhaps it has become customary for those a few fortunate enough to attend, but it is not something that is celebrated by majority of HS grads. A school's prom can be considered a right of passage but Grad Night at WDW not so much. I personally chose to missed the oh so wonderful prom, and never for a second felt like my future wouldn't be filled with hope and wonder. Coincentally I did go to WDW instead of prom but it wasn't for GradNight, I went to my first GayDays and never knew grad nights existed till years later. Flew back home just in time to make graduation

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Grad Night is hardly a right of passage...
    For many teens, Grad Night is indeed a rite of passage.

The question these days is, a passage from what to what?
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    As someone whose high school actually cancelled his grad nite, having never planned to have it at Disneyland despite Disneyland being 60 miles south of my school, I can say that these kids will be just fine. This isn't the end of the world.

This is something that I can 100% completely understand from the park's perspective. While Grad Nites are popular, they cause an innumerable amount of headaches on the other side of the coin, as Disneytwins said. The article touched on a couple of the headaches, but the one that has to stick in their craw the most has to be kicking guests out of the Magic Kingdom for Grad Nite. Even though Grad Nite has been around for 30 years, the vast majority of families schedule WDW trips oblivious of Grad Nite's presence. How would you feel if Disney blindsided you & your family with orders to leave because these high schoolers need the park to themselves so they can run ruffshot over the park & Disney can blare Run DMC from Cinderella Castle? Does any of that sound like Disney?

While the Grad Niters themselves will be disappointed, the rest of the WDW guest base will be pleased, and it will end those headaches experienced behind the scenes. Universal's a little bit better positioned to deal with the Grad Nite headaches in that they have clubs and whatever else going on al night, every night anyway, but this announcement doesn't mean that WDW is somehow in decline, or that Universal stands to gain from Disney's loss. Disney doesn't lose with this announcement. Disney will simply gain back all that it costs to keep putting Grad Nite on, which obviously is far more than it gained from Grad Nite, or the move to DHS in '09 and subsequently this announcement would never have been made.

On the Universal side, I would expect to see Universal continually upping the price of Grad Bash, since they've got one less competitor now, until schools can't pay it anymore, and mysteriously a similar announcement comes from Universal. The kids will be just fine not having Grad Nite @ WDW, or anywhere else.
    i dont think BLINDSIDED is a correct term, while maybe not listed on the park schedule park hours are available usually months in advance WITH closing time, not much of a difference between closing early for a grad nite or a NOJ, xmas or halloween party, just another decline

People buy tickets knowing that they will have a full day of fun no matter what. I remember going during the Halloween parties and I remember them kicking everyone out really early. I think Ripped off is a better term.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• around for awhile

Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!

I worked Grad Nights and Night of Joy. NOJ is a lot worse for noise and destruction of property.

This not a Disney decision, it is a WDW management decision. DL will still have theirs.

It reminds me of WDW Christmas Parties, they used to close MK for Cast Member parties and it was special and everyone talked about it and had fun. Then management thought it would easier just to give CM's a free ticket to come in parks during the holiday season(how exciting!) but not the actual weeks around Christmas just before or after. But DL still gives a CM Christmas party in the park.

I guess that is the difference between DL and WDW management.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast