• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Question Epcot the City???

Hey everyone so I did a report on Walt Disney and I finished the speech by talking about the Disney Parks and I said Walt's Dream of Epcot a Theme Park/community was never full realized and =what we got was a theme park dedcaited to Technology and a World Showcase.

After I was done with my speech my told asked me "you've never been to Epcot have you?" and I said yes I have the theme park....he told me that there is a community of people that live near Epcot and its run by Disney.

So is this true??? I never heard of this before and when I went they never mentioned it to me on any of the rides or map......so does this community exists?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Epcot the City???

The community in question is Celebration, Florida. It was established in 1994 but Disney has since ended its relationship with the city. While it is similar in some ways in being a planned community, it is not the futurist center of research and innovation.

Celebration Front Porch
    Celebration, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Metro-Retro Historian

The town of Celebration used to be owned by Disney, but it was sold off. I don't know exactly when off the top of my head. When Eisner started the project, he said he wanted it to be like Walt's EPCOT. It's about an much like Walt's EPCOT as DCA is like Westcot.

In accordance with FL state law, the Walt Disney Company needed to set up a municipality and local government in order to approve any construction. The Towns of Lake Buena Vista and Reedy Creek were created and about 50 people (all Disney employees) live there to cast votes to approve new construction, and building code changes, and such.

In short your teacher is wrong.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^haha I'm glad to hear he is wrong, since when I was researching the Parks I did not see anything about the city of "Celebration"

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    In accordance with FL state law, the Walt Disney Company needed to set up a municipality and local government in order to approve any construction. The Towns of Lake Buena Vista and Reedy Creek were created and about 50 people (all Disney employees) live there to cast votes to approve new construction, and building code changes, and such.
    Slight correction, the municipalities are Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista and they are within the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

Slightly off topic, the Disney iOS app has a trivia game that gets this wrong. The question is "In which municipality is Walt Disney World located?" Two of the four answers are Lake Buena Vista and Reedy Creek Improvement District, with the latter being labeled as the correct answer even though it is not a municipality.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^haha I'm glad to hear he is wrong, since when I was researching the Parks I did not see anything about the city of "Celebration"
    To be fair, you did miss something. The land that is now Celebration was once owned by Disney and part of the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^my report was on Walt's life and I said we'll never see his true new them park realixed to me this place does not sounds like what Walt wanted...Walt wanted a park that allowed guests to LIVE in the park this community is just that not the samething and I'm sure most people if asked would not know about this and would not think it matters..especially now if Disney does not even own it.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Walt's EPCOT was never meant to be a theme park. It had monorail access to the park that would become the Magic Kingdom, and the Progress City model has a small amusement area in the green belt, but to say that Walt wanted people to live in a theme park is a bit off.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

^my report was on Walt's life and I said we'll never see his true new them park realixed to me this place does not sounds like what Walt wanted...Walt wanted a park that allowed guests to LIVE in the park this community is just that not the samething and I'm sure most people if asked would not know about this and would not think it matters..especially now if Disney does not even own it.
    A lot of people know about Celebration, it even made national news recently because the first two murders were committed. It only made national news because of its connection to Disney. It was as times sold as the "completion of Walt's dream" and somebody asked you about that and you were unable to comment even though you stated otherwise. And as Dapper Dan said, if you described EPCOT as a theme park you also got that wrong. Research is not always about staying on topic, things are discovered, learned and understood by sometimes going in areas that at first might seem "off topic", especially if you are going to draw conclusions like you described.

Did you watch "The EPCOT Film" as part of your research? If not, I highly recommend it.
    http://sites.google.com/site/theorig...cot-film-video

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^not I have not seen that just other films about the parks and stuff from the Travel Channel...where they paint the picture of what happened to Epcot is people living on the resort in the middle of of his Disney World Project and they scrapped that and then pushed two idea's to togeather Technology/the Future and a World Showcase.
    Since I only mentioned it for a second I did not do hours of research on WDW..since I talked about 3 main points his early life/cartoons, his movies and then theme parks and most of what I talked about the theme parks was Disneyland sooo to me it was a minor detailed I did not know about and did not seem like what I was not really about Walt's Legacy that he left behind.....but for him to say I've never been to Epcot to me was like WTF??? Go to Epoct.com and its a theme park.

• Metro-Retro Historian

If you're still interested in the whole EPCOT thing this article has some good information. EPCOT Center used to be my favorite park. I think it's really interesting how the concept went from Walt's future city to the park we ended up getting. There's really a lot more to it than just Marty Sklar and John Hench pushing a couple models together. Those Travel Channel specials bug me because they get a lot of things wrong and stink of the Disney propaganda department.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 03-11-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: better linkage

• Mouse at work

Seriously Jerrod...???? It's called Celebration, Florida .
    "Ian, in life, whatever you do, DO NOT give up your dreams and goals of the past, present, and future and only then will you be successful!" - Walter Elias Disney

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Go to Epoct.com and its a theme park.
    I typed it in but it said it didn't find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^sorry its WWW.Epcot.com....takes you to Epcot | Walt Disney World Resort

Type it in it does work

• Not here to help

I saw an interview with the Disney family once. They liked EPCOT as it is today, or at the time but the made it clear it was not like Walt had imagined it. That is the greatest Disney shame of all.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Woah. Woahoho. A theme park website. Once a mystery, now discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!