Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: The Great Movie Ride - New Ending Video Arrived!

Keep in mind that traditionally Warner Brothers and Disney have worked together in the past on countless projects, and the fact that Six Flags and Time Warner are actually trying to cut the ties.

Disney had the chance to actually make the Harry Potter movies... Disney turned it down. Same thing with Lord of the Rings.

And Harry Potter even came across for Disney publishing too... it was turned down as well.

An ex-Universal Big wig once said that Disney had the rights to Harry Potter wrapped up. I find it incredibly hard to believe.

And about the films for the GMR... these are all very short clips... and if you watch it, you realize that many clips aren't Disney or MGM, and of course, Forrest Gump was just added, and it's not Disney. It's not that it would cost too much to include non-Disney clips. Disney just wants to promote their own films over someone else's.

Anyway, thanks for the update BPF!

• I was deleted.

Yes, it's a cost thing. And Disney wants to promote their own movies. It does make sense. But thinking of how many different current films that have been popular that they could have put in I was somewhat suprised. I personally do not care of HP or LOTR is in there, but others somewhat expected one or the other to make it in. But then again that could be asking too much. I do like the changes, but it is sad what they have taken out. It's is the age of Pixar. So long 2D animation.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate
    ...is anyone else but me wondering why exactly the movie is being marketed along the lines of Lord of the Rings/war movie?...
    Hmmm, could it be that the Lord of the Rings series made about a bazillion dollars, and any association with that genre would be beneficial? Seriously, Disney has to be careful with their marketing of this movie, because as you know the book is an allegory of the story of Jesus' death and ressurection. They don't want to restrict it to just a Christian audience, but then they don't want to drive them away, either. So they've picked kind of a middle of the road action movie approach. We'll see if they're successful.

• meganmegaphone

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    Hmmm, could it be that the Lord of the Rings series made about a bazillion dollars, and any association with that genre would be beneficial? Seriously, Disney has to be careful with their marketing of this movie, because as you know the book is an allegory of the story of Jesus' death and ressurection. They don't want to restrict it to just a Christian audience, but then they don't want to drive them away, either. So they've picked kind of a middle of the road action movie approach. We'll see if they're successful.
    This is actually quite an interesting topic. When I was little and I first read the books, I understood the whole "Sons of Adam and Daughters of Eve" thing, but never truly got that it was such an allegory until someone actually pointed that out to me many years later. The interesting thing is this: After C.S. Lewis' passing, he left his estate including the rights to the Narnia books to his wife and step sons. Interestingly enough, they were actually Jewish. Now the rights are divided between the sons, with one doing most of the buisness. This son was the one who approved of making the movie. On annother note, before the Harry Potter seris was made into a film, Disney had actually considered doing two versions of the film, one for the U.K. and one for the US. After the sucess of the Brittish made potter seris and its international success, the project heads realized this was not necessary. As an aside, am glad they realised this in time as a Narnia set in the US would have made no sense at all, especially as the story revolves around BRITISH children during WWII.

As yet annother interesting fact, the battle scenes in The Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe (LWW) were greatly expanded. In C.S. Lewis' books, it was always improtant that a battle occured, however the entire battle sequance would take up no more than two and a half pages! So needless to say Disney has expanded upon this quite a bit... I don't even remember the White witch actually performing hand to hand combat with anyone in those scenes either until later. However it adds a little something extra that will hopefully add some appeal to the LOTR and Potter crowd.

However this being said... and I have thought this way for at least a year (since I heard they were making a movie)... If they mess up my Narnia with their movie, I WILL BE PISSED!!!.... haha... anyways...

"Back off, Lilo... he's all mine!"
    My MySpace... or...My Facebook
    Coldplay = Love

"Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue." - The Office (BBC)

• Don't Panic

and what if Narnia totally bombs? what are they going to do?

dont get me wrong, i really want to see it, and i would assume the clip in the film is very small, but still...

• Vehicle rotating backward

I really have no opinion on Narnia. I read LWW a few times, the first time I didn't remember very much and the second time it didn't really click with me, but I always knew it was popular and had a bunch of sequels.

Likewise, being part of no organized religion, the whole thing being a parable for the life and times of Jesus was something I didn't catch, but it doesn't really hit or miss with me, it's just.. There.

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Sidebar: Six Flags was indeed owned by TimeWarner for several years. In the late 90s TimeWarner sold Six Flags to Premier Parks. TimeWarner no longer owns any theme parks. However, with the sale to Premier Parks the Looney Tunes characters and DC Comics were licensed to Six Flags parks.

• Banned User

hmm.. I am sure disney "could have used" LOYTR and HP for 30 seconds...

-thinks about american copyright laws... 30 seconds or 10% of the item if under 2 mins...-

of course.. they might have just wanted to be lagal and pay...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ron10036
    Sidebar: Six Flags was indeed owned by TimeWarner for several years. In the late 90s TimeWarner sold Six Flags to Premier Parks. TimeWarner no longer owns any theme parks. However, with the sale to Premier Parks the Looney Tunes characters and DC Comics were licensed to Six Flags parks.
    Key word is licensed... Look at what happened to Universal... now that the license is up, they had to close down Nick Studios, and Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast is on the chopping block in a few years.

TimeWarner realizes that SixFlags doesn't have the same quality as when they owned the parks, and that's why they're wanting to bail out.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Key word is licensed... Look at what happened to Universal... now that the license is up, they had to close down Nick Studios, and Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast is on the chopping block in a few years.
    as soon as the second license is up... the characters and ride will go away... and get replaced with something else.. (probably a similar ride again..)

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by xerotheory142
    and what if Narnia totally bombs? what are they going to do?

dont get me wrong, i really want to see it, and i would assume the clip in the film is very small, but still...

This movie won't bomb. It might not do as astronimcally well as Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, but it wont bomb. Fans of the books will ruch to see it regardless of critic reviews. This book is very largely known and loved, so theres no way the fans will let this movie bomb, even if it isn't a good film.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvstitch
    As yet annother interesting fact, the battle scenes in The Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe (LWW) were greatly expanded. In C.S. Lewis' books, it was always improtant that a battle occured, however the entire battle sequance would take up no more than two and a half pages! So needless to say Disney has expanded upon this quite a bit... I don't even remember the White witch actually performing hand to hand combat with anyone in those scenes either until later. However it adds a little something extra that will hopefully add some appeal to the LOTR and Potter crowd.
    The most recent DisneyInsider newsletter (link) had an interview with the director and he pretty much said he took the liberty to add extra battle sequences because when he got on the project he sat down and wrote a list of memories that he had of the books when he was younger and then re-read the books. From his childhood memories he remembers these huge, epic battles but when he re-read he realized it was less than two pages and Aslan was re-telling the events. So because of this, he expanded and the audience will be in the middle of the action rather than just being told about it later. I haven't read the books, but I think this is a good move on the director's part. If the battle is a major part of the storyline, then it would be very very anticlimactic to just have the lion tell you about the events later instead of seeing it. It may have worked perfectly in the book, but theater audiences who may not have read the books would probably have been let down even if the fans of the books know that Aslan just tells the story later on or whatever.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 11-30-2005 at 08:32 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I don't know aboutmovie/music rights but the last time I was at MGM Studios they were playing Harry Potter music through the speakers. Whether the rights are seperated I am not sure but the music is distinctive. Also, don't forget ABC is showing the HP movies on television in the month of December so you know they purchased the right to something.

I am pro adding HP to the parks myself but that's because HP and Disney are probably my two favorite things on the planet, materialistically anyways.

• Don't Panic

(the second quote in MasterGracey's post was actually said by iluvstitch)

------edit------
    and now it is!
    Last edited by xerotheory142; 11-30-2005 at 08:48 PM.

• The one, the only...

I think that there are two major concerns...

RIDE GOERS-- We want the latest, most exciting movies we can think of to ride through.

BUSINESS EXECS -- They want synergy (boy, I hate that word) to sell some DVD's, or maybe Blue-Ray's, to customers who ride the ride. While movies are in theaters for a few weeks, DVD's are in stores for years. They see it as a big commercial.

Perhaps if Iger was smart, he could persuade some of these executives to license some of these movies by presenting the ride as a marketing ploy.

I am for a BETTER ride. I want newer movies included. Walt was able to sell Chevron on sponsoring Autopia in 1955. Somehow he was able to sell them that pre-teens would buy more gasoline...
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by xerotheory142
    (the second quote in MasterGracey's post was actually said by iluvstitch)
    whoops - it's now fixed.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast